• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please criticise this RTW double breasted blazer

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
ew. it's Navy, which is the least-imaginative colour, ever. Also, it's British, and RTW, which makes it unfeasible for us across the pond.

Also, the buttons are too far apart IMHO. Fit questions are a whole 'nother ball of wax.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buttons aside, it looks pretty good on the mannequin.

Macallan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
ew. it's Navy, which is the least-imaginative colour, ever. Also, it's British, and RTW, which makes it unfeasible for us across the pond.

Also, the buttons are too far apart IMHO. Fit questions are a whole 'nother ball of wax.

Jr is from Europe, although I agree the buttons being too far apart.

As for the colour of the blazer, depends on what he pairs with it.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Over priced and under quality.

Leave it.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR
Over priced and under quality.

Leave it.

+1

I've heard many retailers talk of the poor N&L RTW collection. Admittedly this is mostly with regard to concession stores, but I assume their RTW stores are the same garments.

Mr. Lee

Reaction score
I join in the comment about the width on the buttons. The top two look like they are going fall right on your 'nips. Something odd about their placement. I don't see anything wrong it being Navy--may not be unique enough for the SF crowd but has served the other 99.99999999% of the population very well over the years. Overall, I am not thrilled with the appearance. Sorry.

Naive Jr.

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
ew. it's Navy, which is the least-imaginative colour, ever. Also, it's British, and RTW, which makes it unfeasible for us across the pond. Also, the buttons are too far apart IMHO. Fit questions are a whole 'nother ball of wax.
Thanks very much for your criticism. 1. I find it very interesting that your first remark is in regard to the color. I consider color very important and my small wardrobe doesn't have any navy. I'm completely open to any color recommendation. 2. As far as British is concerned, I definitely don't want to support anything made where workers are exploited. The difficulty is that I don't know who manufactures this RTW, 3. which (i.e.RTW) is at present as far as I know the only manner of production I can afford. I have heard of a very inexnpensive bespoke firm in UK I believe it's called King, but I can't visit. This is also another reason why I asked the question here. 4. The position of the buttons is a critical issue. Would it be possible for you to offer a picture of a button constellation you consider better or even idea?

Naive Jr.

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Macallan
Jr is from Europe, although I agree the buttons being too far apart. As for the colour of the blazer, depends on what he pairs with it.
Thanks very much for your interesting comments. You are right that I'm in Europe (because I prefer it to where I was elsewhere). I think Britain should be economically supported, especially because the workers need support. Why shouldn't I buy British? My trousers are in various shades of pink, salmon, greens and khaki. I have shirts in blues, cherry, pinks. I would like a tie for emergencies and considered buying a two-toned knit presently on sale at Drakes. My Jodhpur boots are in various shades of brown. That you agree to the negative judgment about the placement of the buttons as too wide brings me in distress and I would appreciate very much any alternative presentation of what you consider better or best. For example: http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...&postcount=109 - the difficulty is I don't see much difference, but perhaps you do?

Naive Jr.

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR
Over priced and under quality. Leave it.
Thanks very much for your laconic judgment. Gieves & Hawkes RTW has been severely criticised and Turnball & Asser RTW recommended. Do you have any comment or alternative recommendation? PS: >Quality< is quite a comprehensive category - do you mean everything: cloth, cut, .......?

Naive Jr.

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee
I join in the comment about the width on the buttons. The top two look like they are going fall right on your 'nips. Something odd about their placement. I don't see anything wrong it being Navy--may not be unique enough for the SF crowd but has served the other 99.99999999% of the population very well over the years. Overall, I am not thrilled with the appearance. Sorry.

No need to apologise - on the contrary, I'm quite grateful for your candid opinion. Is there a RTW DB blazer which thrills you you would be so kind to mention?

Naive Jr.

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Blackhood
+1

I've heard many retailers talk of the poor N&L RTW collection. Admittedly this is mostly with regard to concession stores, but I assume their RTW stores are the same garments.

No, I don't have any observation to confirm your assumption. At least not in regard to those articles which interest me. House of Fraser or by a German firm http://www.torquato.de/nundl-oxford-hemd-blau.html s, the N&L website shows articles which I have not see elsewhere advertised as N&L.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
meh. id pass. Youd be surprised whats available from a local tailor going bespoke. Full bespoke form a decent tailor on a sportcoat is a lot less than i planned.

plus the fit would be spot on.

Naive Jr.

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DerekS
meh. id pass. Youd be surprised whats available from a local tailor going bespoke. Full bespoke form a decent tailor on a sportcoat is a lot less than i planned.

plus the fit would be spot on.

Thanks very much, but I know no such local tailor in Switzerland or adjacent Germany. I agree with your strategy and I would look for such a tailor if I lived in England.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads