or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › Favourite 'European' movies?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Favourite 'European' movies? - Page 3

post #31 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammatt
Wasn't Sexy Beast an Australian film?

I thought it was terrific. The performance by Ben Kingsley was absolutly out of this world and so different for him.


IMDB shows country of origin as UK/Spain (the two locations where it was shot). I agree it was terrific, particularly Kingsley's role and performance.
post #32 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britalian

France: Truffaut's 400 Blows

A prime example of an incompetent translator.
post #33 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabienne
A prime example of an incompetent translator.

Yeah the english looses all meaning. I also love how they translated "Les valseuses" to "going places".
post #34 of 99
How to Get Ahead in Advertising
Tristram Shandy: A Cock and Bull Story
Brasil
The Beat That My Heart Skipped
Trainspotting
A Fish Called Wanda
Sid and Nancy
Good Bye Lenin!
Cache
Shaun of the Dead

I bought my mother Amilie for Christmas a few years ago on the recommendation of the clerk at the store, the first scene sucked me, my father and my brother (who were both laughing that it was a chick flick), in right away.
post #35 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye
How to Get Ahead in Advertising
Tristram Shandy: A Cock and Bull Story
Brasil
The Beat That My Heart Skipped
Trainspotting
A Fish Called Wanda
Sid and Nancy
Good Bye Lenin!
Cache
Shaun of the Dead

I bought my mother Amilie for Christmas a few years ago on the recommendation of the clerk at the store, the first scene sucked me, my father and my brother (who were both laughing that it was a chick flick), in right away.

Great call on Shaun of the Dead. Really fun stuff.
post #36 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBZ
IMDB shows country of origin as UK/Spain (the two locations where it was shot). I agree it was terrific, particularly Kingsley's role and performance.
I was going to mention SB but did not realise it was european. Shaun of the dead, excellent (the whole cast of Black Books was in it!). Amelie was good also.
post #37 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by skalogre
Amelie was good also.


put me down for Amelie...and also Delicatessen (also by Jeunet)
post #38 of 99
Clearly Eurotrip
post #39 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Smart
put me down for Amelie...and also Delicatessen (also by Jeunet)

Might as well add City of lost children then !
post #40 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
Clearly Eurotrip

one of the best movies EVER in all cinema history. not kidding.
post #41 of 99
The Double life of Veronique (K. Kieslowski)
The Unbearable Lightness of Being (P. Kaufman)
Maria's Lovers (A.Konchalovski)
Mirror (A.Tarkovskii)
Andrei Rublew (A.Tarkovskii)

Any movie by Ingmar Bergman
post #42 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkzzzz
The Double life of Veronique (K. Kieslowski)
The Unbearable Lightness of Being (M. Kundera)
Maria's Lovers (A.Konchalovski)
Mirror (A.Tarkovskii)
Andrei Rublew (A.Tarkovskii)

Any movie by Ingmar Bergman

+1 on Bergman
post #43 of 99
Last Tango in Paris, Bicycle Theif, Children of Paradise, and almost anything by Patrice Leconte.
post #44 of 99
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkzzzz
Maria's Lovers (A.Konchalovski)
is that the thing with Natasha Kinski (sigh) and the bloke in the army?
or am I halucinating, again...
post #45 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by johninla
Last Tango in Paris, Bicycle Theif, Children of Paradise, and almost anything by Patrice Leconte.

The bicycle thief tore me apart.

Did anybody see Roberto Benini's Pinocchio?

Not sure if these were mentioned already:

Cinema Paradiso
La Finestra di Fronte (facing windows)
Un coeur en hiver (and other Claude Sautet movies)
Some of the old Delon and Belmondo movies
Quai des brumes, and other Jean Gabin movies
Ponette (will break your heart)
The tin drum (Die Blechtrommel)
Caroline Link's Beyond Silence (Jenseits der Stille) and Nowhere in Africa (Nirgendwo in Afrika)
The marriage of Maria Braun (Die Ehe der Maria Braun)
Europa Europa

I'll stop here for a while, but it would be a crime not to mention:

Any of Les Bronzés
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › Favourite 'European' movies?