or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › Top Gear (UK) discussion
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Top Gear (UK) discussion - Page 2

post #16 of 166
I think it is the best show on TV. My wife couldn't care less about cars and she likes it as well. The chemistry between the hosts is great and they respect the intelegence of their audience.
post #17 of 166
Thread Starter 
Second episode aired yesterday, and I watched it today. I did however watch the Top Gear Australia episode when I heard that the UK boys would be in it, so nothing new in this really. Review of 599 GTO was decent, nothing to brag about. Races against Australia were quite fun, I do love the one car two drivers concept. The scripting did shine through though, but I'm not complaining too loudly. The Australian episode (3x00 IIRC) contained more of the races (they didn't do any news or reviews, so they had more time for race footage), so that's worth taking a look at if you want to see more of it.
post #18 of 166
I honestly have no interest in vehicles, yet I love this show. It's just well written, well hosted, and above all, fun.
post #19 of 166
I love this show and watching this show from last few season. I will definitely watch its upcoming season.
post #20 of 166
I absolutely loved the rally against the Aussies. Gripping and awesome! James drove very well indeed
post #21 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrikc View Post
Second episode aired yesterday, and I watched it today. I did however watch the Top Gear Australia episode when I heard that the UK boys would be in it, so nothing new in this really.
Review of 599 GTO was decent, nothing to brag about.

Races against Australia were quite fun, I do love the one car two drivers concept. The scripting did shine through though, but I'm not complaining too loudly. The Australian episode (3x00 IIRC) contained more of the races (they didn't do any news or reviews, so they had more time for race footage), so that's worth taking a look at if you want to see more of it.


Having watched the Ashes episode I was a little disappointed and the animal park bit was missing.
post #22 of 166
Thread Starter 
Well, that part was produced by the Australians, and I don't think it would've fitted with the rest of the show. Sure, they could've shown a short clip of it and said something along the lines of "And then we sent them to the zoo", and then aired a clip of the Australians driving around in the small Peel P50s, but we're here to watch Jeremy, Hammond and James, right?
post #23 of 166
Racist much?
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.       I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.
post #24 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by embowafa View Post
Racist much?

No big deal, they rag on everyone. Koreans, Indians, Chinese, Germans, Italians, THE FRENCH, Amurricans, Australians, and a lot of their own as well. They just do it for the lulz.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.       I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.
post #25 of 166
I'm far from PC, but saying "It's ok...they're racist to EVERYONE" doesn't make it any better.

I'm not too familiar with their 'cultural observations' but it just seems so unnecessary given the subject matter of the show. I was more surprised at just how out of left field it is.
post #26 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by embowafa View Post
I'm far from PC, but saying "It's ok...they're racist to EVERYONE" doesn't make it any better.

I'm not too familiar with their 'cultural observations' but it just seems so unnecessary given the subject matter of the show. I was more surprised at just how out of left field it is.

If they were really malicious in any of their "racist" remarks then I'm sure they wouldn't have aired it on the BBC, one of the most PC networks anywhere.

The TG hosts tend to give colorful jokes and observations all the time, it's what they do and is part of what makes the show so great. Watch a few seasons and you'll see what I mean.
post #27 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrikc View Post
Well, that part was produced by the Australians, and I don't think it would've fitted with the rest of the show.
Sure, they could've shown a short clip of it and said something along the lines of "And then we sent them to the zoo", and then aired a clip of the Australians driving around in the small Peel P50s, but we're here to watch Jeremy, Hammond and James, right?

Well I just found boring having watched already and the animal park bit etc. was funnier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by embowafa View Post
I'm far from PC, but saying "It's ok...they're racist to EVERYONE" doesn't make it any better.

I'm not too familiar with their 'cultural observations' but it just seems so unnecessary given the subject matter of the show. I was more surprised at just how out of left field it is.

There has been some issues in the British media during the last week, where to sport commentators where fired due to a comment about a female football ref. And her needing to have the offside ruled explained, Jeremy was quoted saying that if that was enough to get fired he and the two other TG guys would have been fired each week, so it could have been a reaction to that and it's fairly well known that Hammond won't eat anything but British food, so I wasn't surprised about his comment about the food and the lazyness remark was/is a common conception about the mexican people, personally I was surprised that jeremy didn't say he was wrong, they are all at home depot in San Diego or something in that order.
post #28 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by embowafa View Post
I'm far from PC, but saying "It's ok...they're racist to EVERYONE" doesn't make it any better.

I'm not too familiar with their 'cultural observations' but it just seems so unnecessary given the subject matter of the show. I was more surprised at just how out of left field it is.

Fire in the hole!!!

I don't think North Americans get British humor.

You can't make a joke about anything that is a generalisation nowadays without someone screaming - sexist-racist etc etc.....

It was a joke but everyone is so damned sensitive now.

This show is full of that..... the 3 wise men to Bethlehem was hilarious.....but you'd have been upset about that too cos it took the piss!!
post #29 of 166
Believe me, I'm the last one who gets offended over things...and I'm far from offended over this video (BTW, I'm Mexican)

But saying just because something is FUNNY (which is in the eye of the beholder...calling a Mexican car a Tortilla is hardly my idea of bringing the LULZ) automatically makes it NOT racist is silly logic.

It could be funny...but that's because you find racial humor funny.

I've seen my fair share of TG's...apart from the fact that their cultural/racial stuff isn't really that funny (which again, is subjective), I just don't get it in the context of the show. Just drive the pretty cars through Europe, please.
post #30 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by embowafa View Post
(BTW, I'm Mexican)
.


OK there's the problem.

Been to Mexico and everyone worked very hard from what i saw. Nice people.

You cannot take what these guys say seriously .......they are like 3 schoolboys hanging around playing in fast cars and taking the piss out of everything.

I'm scottish and if i had a penny for every time i got called Jock and the cracks about being tight with money etc etc i'd be a millionaire ...it's a generality about Scottish people that everyone perpetuates.

Same thing going on here i'd say.

http://www.nowpublic.com/culture/top...y-2754302.html

More people have seen it than would have normally owing to the fuss.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXY_B4EQUUY
check this out --hilarious!
This was in the middle east somewhere.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Entertainment and Culture
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › Top Gear (UK) discussion