or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › How is VW/Audi's DSG box?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How is VW/Audi's DSG box?

post #1 of 6
Thread Starter 
I am ready to purchase a new car and I have decided on the VW Golf GTi,but I can't decide between a manual and the DSG.I have always driven a manual as I don't like auto's but this DSG is supposed to be the business.
Just wondering if anyone had one and would like to comment?
post #2 of 6
Nothing replaces stick for its "manual control feel" but I drove an A3 with DSG and its lightning fast. It took me longer to hit the paddle to shift than it took the car to actually shift. If you were thinking of getting an automatic, the DSG is the gearbox to get. Oh, and FYI BMW is going to start using the DSG as well.

Jon.
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by benecios
I am ready to purchase a new car and I have decided on the VW Golf GTi,but I can't decide between a manual and the DSG.I have always driven a manual as I don't like auto's but this DSG is supposed to be the business.
Just wondering if anyone had one and would like to comment?

I drove the A3 with DSG. It's nice, but not for me. If you think you will actually use the paddles, then go for it. I'd suggest finding a dealership that will give you the car for 24 hours and see what works for you. You may find having the DSG is not worthwhile (it's not cheap). Or, you may find it to be a lot of fun.
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by briancl
I drove the A3 with DSG. It's nice, but not for me. If you think you will actually use the paddles, then go for it. I'd suggest finding a dealership that will give you the car for 24 hours and see what works for you. You may find having the DSG is not worthwhile (it's not cheap). Or, you may find it to be a lot of fun.

You'd rather just have a 6-speed?

Jon.
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by imageWIS
You'd rather just have a 6-speed?

Jon.

Yep. Although, my girlfriend who drove the auto, dsg, and manual said she would take the auto over the dsg, but opted for the manual. I'd take the dsg over the auto, but would opt for the manual.. so a slight difference in opinions even if the result is the same.
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by briancl
Yep. Although, my girlfriend who drove the auto, dsg, and manual said she would take the auto over the dsg, but opted for the manual. I'd take the dsg over the auto, but would opt for the manual.. so a slight difference in opinions even if the result is the same.

I opted for the CVT this time around, but in retrospect, I should have gotten the 6-speed, although, when I'm stuck in traffic, it's a lot more relaxing than the manual...

Jon.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › How is VW/Audi's DSG box?