or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Man dead for 4 years in Apartment
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Man dead for 4 years in Apartment

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
This may have to be the story of the day...


Man may have been dead 4 years in apartment

Associated Press
Oct. 3, 2006 10:45 AM


VIENNA, Austria - A landlord in Austria wasn't getting any answers to his letters to a tenant, announcing a rent increase.

So, he unlocked the apartment and went inside -- and found that the tenant had been dead for quite a while.

Police believe the man may have died three or four years ago. But his rent continued to be paid automatically from his bank account, which was automatically replenished by payments from his pension fund.

They found the mummified body in a bed. Elsewhere in the apartment, police found old Austrian schilling banknotes. Austria switched to the Euro on January first, 2002.

The 93-year-old man was a former university professor who's described as something of a recluse. Neighbors apparently didn't think it was unusual to see junk mail piling up outside his door.
post #2 of 16
How was he mummified in the first place? There aren't any mummy fetishists out there?
post #3 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by LabelKing
How was he mummified in the first place?

There aren't any mummy fetishists out there?

Mummy fetishism? Wouldn't that be a niche fetish within the category of necrophilia?

Wasn't Norman Bates a mummy fetishist of sorts?
post #4 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantucket Red
Mummy fetishism? Wouldn't that be a niche fetish within the category of necrophilia?

Wasn't Norman Bates a mummy fetishist of sorts?
Indeed. I think someone might have had an accident when they were in the throes of passion.
post #5 of 16
Unusual for junk mail to pile up... 3 years worth? That could be boxes full.
post #6 of 16
Hell, four years is nothing. My soon-to-be ex-wife has been dead for at least ten!
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
Hell, four years is nothing. My soon-to-be ex-wife has been dead for at least ten!

Reminds me of the joke:

- I think that my wife died.

- Why's that?

- Sex is the same, but dishes are starting to stack up in the sink.
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP
something of a recluse

You think?
post #9 of 16
this story should have surfaced about 3.5 weeks later.
post #10 of 16
...because, you know, increasing the rent on a 93-year-old...that's just bad karma...
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Indeed. I think someone might have had an accident when they were in the throes of passion.

It wouldn't have been the first time.

The story of my friend's auntie Mavis is particularly poignant.
post #12 of 16
my wife was telling me about an ancient chinese practice of eating nothing but honey for the last month (or so) of one's life; once dead, the formerly quick would be buried for one hundred years and then disinterred, mummified, but yielding a (delicious?) medicinal slurry. i tried googling this, but found THIS article about the medicinal properties of mummies instead. so maybe the gentleman in question ate lots of honey smacks before beddy-bye?
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by denimdestroyedmylife
my wife was telling me about an ancient chinese practice of eating nothing but honey for the last month (or so) of one's life; once dead, the formerly quick would be buried for one hundred years and then disinterred, mummified, but yielding a (delicious?) medicinal slurry. i tried googling this, but found THIS article about the medicinal properties of mummies instead.

so maybe the gentleman in question ate lots of honey smacks before beddy-bye?

post #14 of 16
I had an old friend whose wife left him (he deserved it, mind you) and he basically ate and drank himself to death, while alienating himself from his friends. he was dead for 4 or 5 days ( in pretty hot weather) before he was found. not mumified, not at all.
post #15 of 16
aaahhh.... the fate of yet another university professor -see what I have to look forward too? Tenure one day, Haz Mat squad the next.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Man dead for 4 years in Apartment