• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Comic Book Thread

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find a lot of the other threads are encountering a fair amount of comic book talk. (Dark Knight, Spider-Man reboot, What are you reading, etc). If people find that the other threads make this one redundant, I'll let it die.

However.....

Anyone else look at that new Superman Graphic novel Superman: Earth One?

Basically, it's a reboot of the DC universe for those who don't want to read the last gazillion issues to be caught up. It unburdens itself of the last 40 odd years. Similar to the Ultimate Marvel universe, except it's a stand alone... as in no cross-overs with the main-universe. I really liked the idea behind it, and the comic itself was pretty fun. Some might not like the way Clark Kent/SM acts (he doesn't know his true calling yet, etc), and I too found that a let-down, but other than that, it was a great start to a new series.

Also, a Batman: Earth One is to be released sometime this year. Looking forward to that.

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Man Of Steel was trying to give a base continuity for the mainstream Superman. It was something to tie all the versions of Superman together. This is a stand alone.. whatever happens here has no effect on the other versions, and unlike the rest, it isn't in the same meta-verse. I don't really keep up with comics, and this will allow me to know all the background in this universe, without buying 40 years worth of two dozen titles.

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by L.R.
I don't really keep up with comics, and this will allow me to know all the background in this universe, without buying 40 years worth of two dozen titles.

*****... this is what all yououth was meant for when you were young...

Johdus Fanfoozal

Reaction score
Point is, it sounds like another reboot of an iconic character.

Hard to beat John Byrne on that one. Or Frank Miller with Batman Year One.

JSC437

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This week i have been reading the Alan Moore Swamp Thing comics. Really good

Not sure if this thread is to discuss what we are reading right now.. but why not?

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I still got 2000 ones from the 70s 80s and early 90s

Mainly Spiderman, X-men and so and so. I quit reading those 15 years ago but still have them.

My favorite were the Punisher , Batman and Wolverine. All of them bitter people as me.

I loved covers by Mike Zeck and Arthur Adams so I hanged them in a milard bag on my room wall.

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JSC4President
This week i have been reading the Alan Moore Swamp Thing comics. Really good Not sure if this thread is to discuss what we are reading right now.. but why not?
Oh yeah I liked those, very dark as all Moore. Those belong to my latest time reading comics, when I got 13 or 14. I also liked Sandman , that is quite similar. I never had all of them. I also liked Frank Miller and Mazzuchelli Daredevil ones and Captain America by Mike Zeck. Very Dark too. I would like to have all them as were old at that time and very difficult to get in Spain ( obvioulsy those were translated to spanish,no originals or Il'l be rich now. Enjoy this ;http://www.mikezeck.com/

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh man, do I like comics (see the username). So much so that I wrote my senior thesis on the economic history of the american comic book industry. DC stuff I think is awesome: The Killing Joke All Star Superman Superman: Red Son Batman: Arkham Asylum Kingdom Come (Warning: Subtext heavy) Batman: Long Halloween Grant Morrison's JLA Jeph Loeb's Superman/Batman (big dumb superhero fun). Marvel Brian Michael Bendis and Ed Brubaker's Daredevil Ed Brubaker's Captain America Matt Fraction's Immortal Iron fist Warren Ellis' Thunderbolts Jason Aaron's Ghost Rider Greg Pak's Incredible Hercules Matt Fractions Invincible Iron Man Grant Morrison's New X-Men Other stuff I thought was great Astereos Polyp Any and everything by Paul Pope, especially 100% The Walking Dead Demo As for Vertigo, I've read a ton of it (spent a summer interning for one of the editors), but I can't recommend all of it. 100 Bullets was great, as was Sandman, Scalped, and Swamp Thing, but beyond that, it's a lot of paint by numbers stuff.

Wackadoodle

Reaction score
I really like Bone, one of the most consistently great comic series ever. 100 Bullets was a great ride, but had a disappointing ending. It felt like Azzarello underestimated how long it would take to wrap up all the stories and everything felt rushed in the last 10 issues.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Y: The Last Man

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wackadoodle
I really like Bone, one of the most consistently great comic series ever. 100 Bullets was a great ride, but had a disappointing ending. It felt like Azzarello underestimated how long it would take to wrap up all the stories and everything felt rushed in the last 10 issues.

You know what, you're totally right about the pacing issues, but then again, it was pretty exciting so maybe it was intentional?

Originally Posted by Neo_Version 7
Y: The Last Man

Great story, but really blah art. They had to give one chick a scar to make her look different.
laugh.gif

JSC437

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GraphicNovelty
Oh man, do I like comics (see the username). So much so that I wrote my senior thesis on the economic history of the american comic book industry.

You should watch this BBC Documentary. Searching for Steve Ditko...

http://www.dograt.com/category/carto...-ditko/page/2/

For some reason... i just cant seem to fully enjoy Grant Morrison comics. I try and try and try... but no success. Even Animal Man and stuff like that. Last night i started reading Superman Red Son (Millar) and it really didnt hold my attention. Maybe that is because i wanted to get back to reading Swamp Thing.

Just an FYI... the NY Public Library has a lot of really good graphic novels.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't read comic books anymore but I do intend to catch up on recent series collection in graphic novel form.

My favorites of all time are:
Watchmen: nothing really needs to be said about this one, Alan Moore at his finest
Kingdom Come: Mark Waid best work no doubt, in my mind, book is just full of awesomeness with Ross' art
Hush: Loeb plus Jim Lee = win x a mil
Favorite artist is Jim Lee and Alex Ross so those 2 picks were no surprise.

Right now, I really am more interested in watching the animated incarnations. I can't wait for DC's All Star Superman animated film, book is great and hopefully they do it justice. Current favorite in the animation series is Batman: Under the Red Hood, much more violent than your typical comic book animated films.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
Current favorite in the animation series is Batman: Under the Red Hood, much more violent than your typical comic book animated films.

I saw this at blockbuster and considered it. It was good?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads