or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › Office essentials
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Office essentials - Page 2

post #16 of 61
I have a framed plot plan of my garage, patent award plaques, and some framed poetry done by a calligrapher.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQgeek View Post
What are you, a woman? Why do you need to "brighten up" your desk? Nobody is going to care. I never understood people that try and personalize their cubicles; you're there to work. If you had an actual office, it would be a bit different. Oh and how does any of this qualify under the heading of "office essentials?"
^ Geek To non-geeks, GQ, a little personality or humanity might be considered essential, by the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Wang View Post
A periodic table of elements.
Have one of those. Actually use it -- other day I totally forgot that tin was Sn. ~ H
post #17 of 61
Here here, I'm interning at a CPA firm and it's nice to have some personal things on your desk. I like having my Filson 256 with some chapstick, nail clippers, etc.

I also have a nice pic of Pebble Beach as my computer background. If it turns into a job I'll probably bring in a small plant, and that'll be it.
post #18 of 61
Have you set up a hotline to the Kremlin on your desk?
post #19 of 61
Nothing is more pathetic and plebeian than an overly decorated cubicle. Fat Midwestern Secretary's Desk is not the aesthetic you're aiming for, presumably. Wait till you get a legitimate office before decorating in earnest. And even then, be a minimalist. Some fine art, and maybe one or two small items that say "By the power of motherfucking Greyskull, I have the power."
post #20 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by longskate88 View Post
Here here, I'm interning at a CPA firm and it's nice to have some personal things on your desk. I like having my Filson 256 with some chapstick, nail clippers, etc.

I also have a nice pic of Pebble Beach as my computer background. If it turns into a job I'll probably bring in a small plant, and that'll be it.

dude... clip your damned nails at home. i mean wtf?
post #21 of 61
It's innapropriate to clip his nails in the bathroom?
post #22 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQgeek View Post
dude... clip your damned nails at home. i mean wtf?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodum5 View Post
It's innapropriate to clip his nails in the bathroom?
There are people at my office who clip their nails in their cube. The 'pinck....pinck' sound is so distinctive. What's more, they often do it....at lunch....when I'm eating. I wish I knew who it was; I'd leave a tactful note on their desk one night. ~ H
post #23 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman View Post
There are people at my office who clip their nails in their cube. The 'pinck....pinck' sound is so distinctive. What's more, they often do it....at lunch....when I'm eating. I wish I knew who it was; I'd leave a tactful note on their desk one night. ~ H
In my first job out of college, I worked in a bullpen-type setup. Lots of cubes, open floor plan, no walls or divisions between cubes. My cubemate would floss his fucking teeth at the desk. I wanted to smack him every time he did it. I got lucky, though. There was this kid we'll call Bobby, who -- thanks to the sweet mercy of the Lord Jesus Christ -- did not sit next to me. Bobby was infamously lactose intolerant, yet he kept drinking milk as part of some cockamamie muscle-building theory of his. As a result, he let out what were not really farts, so much as a steady stream of noxious gas throughout the entire day. I smelled some of the stuff once. It was foul beyond what my words are capable of conveying. It smelled like raw shit and curdled milk -- sort of like the inside of a port-a-potty on a hot day at a crowded, outdoor concert.
post #24 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connemara View Post
stuff that helps "brighten up" your cube/office/whatever.

Don't do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connemara View Post
There must be some basic stuff that will look sick on and around my desk.

Yes, it's called work stuff.

Unless you are in a position of considerable power, you want your desk to look busy and professional. Leave the decorating to the group secretary.
post #25 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman View Post
other day I totally forgot that tin was Sn.

How could you?
post #26 of 61
1) Plant
2) Bowl of candy (use with caution), female co-workers will tend to make unnecessary stops by your desk if you have candy out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Carlos View Post
In my first job out of college, I worked in a bullpen-type setup. Lots of cubes, open floor plan, no walls or divisions between cubes. My cubemate would floss his fucking teeth at the desk. I wanted to smack him every time he did it.

I got lucky, though. There was this kid we'll call Bobby, who -- thanks to the sweet mercy of the Lord Jesus Christ -- did not sit next to me. Bobby was infamously lactose intolerant, yet he kept drinking milk as part of some cockamamie muscle-building theory of his. As a result, he let out what were not really farts, so much as a steady stream of noxious gas throughout the entire day. I smelled some of the stuff once. It was foul beyond what my words are capable of conveying. It smelled like raw shit and curdled milk -- sort of like the inside of a port-a-potty on a hot day at a crowded, outdoor concert.
This is fucking gross .. someone fired him right?
post #27 of 61
I'm part of management in my office, but all that gives me is a bigger cubicle. I like to keep my desk as generic as possible. I don't have any pictures or other non-essential work objects at my desk. I'm two promotions away from my own office, so I can wait until then to prop up a picture of my favority democratic president.
post #28 of 61
Thread Starter 
Perhaps I'll hang my Princeton Law degree.
post #29 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connemara View Post
Perhaps I'll hang my Princeton Law degree.

or maybe that poster of konye?
post #30 of 61
in my old age, i'm beginning to find that fun people to work with are the main office essentials.

-Jeff
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Business, Careers & Education
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › Office essentials