or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › X-Men: FIrst Class (movie thread)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

X-Men: FIrst Class (movie thread) - Page 8

post #106 of 218
No argument here.
post #107 of 218
Thread Starter 
Exactly, you just hate all of them. Molina as Doc Ock was great and Dafoe as GG was good too. Maguire is the perfect Peter Parker, I really have no idea what you are talking about. He is the right geeky look and your main complaint is his smile? Never liked the Hulk movies so I'm with you there. I literally fell asleep in the theaters watching the first one. Bale didn't use his raspy voice in the first one, not as bad as the second one. The story was good overall. Nolan did great by making it more realistic and less campy. Ra was utilized well and the movie really was good. And Two-Face wasn't int he first movie, you pretty much lose credibility in your debate on that one. Bale was a great cast as Bruce Wayne and again you are more worried about the voice? And Ledger played a great Joker, dude is unmatched. Again, you can hate on all the stupid little things but to hate on Ledgers performance just really kills your cred in these films. You claim to be a comic book fan but do you not realize there are more than one world/reality in these books? There isn't always a straight forward story and characters, some differ in some way in their origins and how they act and their personality, etc.... And in some cases, these movies makes their own canons like this XMen franchise. You are stuck with what you read and what you know but there are other stories out there where this is based on. You want a page on page adaptation but that isn't going to happen, hell you even want all the costumes to be the same when some colorful spandex just really won't work in film. You can't take people in yellow and blue spandex seriously when in real life, it'll be comical. My best suggestion is to really just stick to comic books because none of these movies will make you happy and you're just too picky and pretty closed-minded.
post #108 of 218
The only comic-book movie Rambo probably doesn't mind is the faithful-to-the-T Sin City (which itself wasn't bad but nowhere near the calibre of X2 or Batman Begins).
post #109 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFX45 View Post
Exactly, you just hate all of them. Molina as Doc Ock was great and Dafoe as GG was good too. Maguire is the perfect Peter Parker, I really have no idea what you are talking about. He is the right geeky look and your main complaint is his smile? Never liked the Hulk movies so I'm with you there. I literally fell asleep in the theaters watching the first one. Bale didn't use his raspy voice in the first one, not as bad as the second one. The story was good overall. Nolan did great by making it more realistic and less campy. Ra was utilized well and the movie really was good. And Two-Face wasn't int he first movie, you pretty much lose credibility in your debate on that one. Bale was a great cast as Bruce Wayne and again you are more worried about the voice? And Ledger played a great Joker, dude is unmatched. Again, you can hate on all the stupid little things but to hate on Ledgers performance just really kills your cred in these films. You claim to be a comic book fan but do you not realize there are more than one world/reality in these books? There isn't always a straight forward story and characters, some differ in some way in their origins and how they act and their personality, etc.... And in some cases, these movies makes their own canons like this XMen franchise. You are stuck with what you read and what you know but there are other stories out there where this is based on. You want a page on page adaptation but that isn't going to happen, hell you even want all the costumes to be the same when some colorful spandex just really won't work in film. You can't take people in yellow and blue spandex seriously when in real life, it'll be comical. My best suggestion is to really just stick to comic books because none of these movies will make you happy and you're just too picky and pretty closed-minded.
How can you possibly say that McMopey was a good Spider-Man. Spidey was always smart, a smart ass, self-deprecating, and witty. McMopey was none of those things and he basically just moped his way through all three movies. Just an awful casting job. You're right that I mixed up Two-Face but I don't see how the movie was anything other than mediocre. Ledger sucks. His Joker was awful. Of course I understand that there are different stories, canons, etc.. Hell, there are about 12 different Spidey themed books out now. What comic book fan wouldn't know this shit? But there are acceptable realities for characters. Wolvie's always a badass, Joker's always playing jokes and is funny, Professor X always reads minds, etc.. Just because somewhere along the line that was done differently doesn't mean you should base the fucking movie on that. If you think I'm closed minded and picky, fine. Its not going to change the fact that I'm right and you're wrong. Oh, I forgot the X-Men movies. I'll have to add those later as I've got to run now.
post #110 of 218
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
How can you possibly say that McMopey was a good Spider-Man. Spidey was always smart, a smart ass, self-deprecating, and witty. McMopey was none of those things and he basically just moped his way through all three movies. Just an awful casting job.
Because he made those all up on the spot right? That he dismissed the script given to him? It's nto a casting problem if he is told what to do. Was he believable as a mopey lil cunt? If he was hen it was a good cast because that is what they were looking for. He had his smartass moment but the film focused on this Peter Parker and it worked with the story. I think you are reminiscing too much about the animation. And Parker has been mopey and bitchy in the comics too, they even made him a complete asshole in the third film, too bad that one just totally blew.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
You're right that I mixed up Two-Face but I don't see how the movie was anything other than mediocre. Ledger sucks. His Joker was awful.
Ledger created an unforgettable Joker, he did great. Again, you might be stuck on the Mark Hamill Joker from the animations. Just because Ledger didn't shoot guns with punching gloves or made stupid jokes doesn't make him less accurate. Joker is a sadistic bastard and that was exactly what Ledger played and he played it well. Overall, I don't know how you can say TDK is mediocre at best. Story was freaking good, with it's twist and turns. Acted out well, action was great. My only complaint was that stupid Bat sonar Bats used but that was it. Again, I really suggest focusing on the story instead of getting stuck in a single thing that ruins the whole movie for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
Of course I understand that there are different stories, canons, etc.. Hell, there are about 12 different Spidey themed books out now. What comic book fan wouldn't know this shit? But there are acceptable realities for characters. Wolvie's always a badass, Joker's always playing jokes and is funny, Professor X always reads minds, etc.. Just because somewhere along the line that was done differently doesn't mean you should base the fucking movie on that.
Yah but that is what they chose to focus on, pick a universe and go with that. The new Avengers film will be based on the Ultimates Universe so they'll stick Hawkeye in a black leather suit instead of a purple leotard and that is acceptable to me. It is based on the Universe, it is accurate to the comics but I feel you would hate it because it isn't his original suit. I mean seriously, how can you like this XMen film? Nothing is accurate and the characters are just based of the comics but their continuity and timeline is all fucked up. I really am surprised you aren't boycotting it. All I'm saying is if the story and characters are done well and it works with the story, whats the problem? I mean it;s funny, you liked the Iron Man film so much but if they wanted to make it more accurate they should have made him more drunk and shouldn't they have made the terrorist Asian instead of Middle Eastern? Wheres the complain on that inaccuracy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
If you think I'm closed minded and picky, fine. Its not going to change the fact that I'm right and you're wrong.
Simply stating that you are right isn't even a fact, it's all opinion but whatever helps you sleep at night. Again I am just suggesting, go to the film with an open mind and you might actually enjoy the film or else you're wasting your time and money.
post #111 of 218
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo_Version 7 View Post
The only comic-book movie Rambo probably doesn't mind is the faithful-to-the-T Sin City (which itself wasn't bad but nowhere near the calibre of X2 or Batman Begins).

Watchmen and 300 too, but iirc Rambo hated Watchmen too.
post #112 of 218
post #113 of 218
RFX you sound like a big comic book fanboi. Tobey Maguire as Spiderman sucked because Spiderman was a badass and Tobey Maguire is a pussy and beyond fucking annoying. Whether you want to put it down to the casting, acting, writing, or directing, the Spiderman movies sucked. And Kirsten Dunst is not a believable love interest for a SUPERhero because she's fucking ugly.

A lot of the other stuff Rambo was just nitpicking. But yeah, Tobey Maguire sucks.
post #114 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFX45 View Post
Watchmen and 300 too, but iirc Rambo hated Watchmen too.
Probably because Watchmen was less entertaining than Daredevil (or Elektra) and twice as long.
post #115 of 218
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynard369 View Post
Probably because Watchmen was less entertaining than Daredevil (or Elektra) and twice as long.
That is pure and utter BS. Have you read the novel? Only people who I've heard say this has never read the novel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynard369 View Post
RFX you sound like a big comic book fanboi. Tobey Maguire as Spiderman sucked because Spiderman was a badass and Tobey Maguire is a pussy and beyond fucking annoying. Whether you want to put it down to the casting, acting, writing, or directing, the Spiderman movies sucked. And Kirsten Dunst is not a believable love interest for a SUPERhero because she's fucking ugly.
Spider-Man is a bad-ass, Peter Parker isn't. He does Emo-Spider so well. BTW, I'm not disagreeing with Dunst being ugly but that is why they keep getting her wet in the movies.
post #116 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFX45 View Post
Watchmen and 300 too, but iirc Rambo hated Watchmen too.
Watchmen was fucking terrible. How you could have possibly enjoyed that movie is beyond me. I didn't care about 300 one way or another but I'm not a fan of stop-action outside of the Matrix.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo_Version 7 View Post
DON'T REMOVE IT FROM THE ORIGINAL PACKAGING!
post #117 of 218
Rambo's comic book review corner, Vol. 2: 300 - This is the gayest shit ever. Its like a UFC fight on steroids, soaked in baby oil, and stamped "prime homo jacking off material". And its all filmed in slow motion glory for ease of masturbatory efforts. Well done! The Spirit - I didn't even see it, that's how good it seemed! (And a fucking shame too because Darwyn Cooke's reboot was excellent.) X-Men 1 - not bad overall but it suffered from a shitty plot and some horrible casting choices - Halle Berry as Storm? Awful. Angela Bassett would have rocked the shit out of that. That weepy dickhead as Cyclops? Seriously? Cyke was supposed to be the leader and a hard motherfucker to boot. And some of the dialogue was just terrible. I still remember that scene in the lobby of the Statue of Liberty - "You know what happens when a toad gets hit by lightening? Same thing as everything else." Fuck you halle berry. X-Men 2 - Same shitty casting from 1 but some new addons such as the idiots who played Iceman and Pyro. Plot wasn't much better and neither was the acting. Worth a watch, nothing more. X-Men 3 - Do I really even need to bother with this one? Wolverine Origins - This should have been titled "Abortion" or "Hugh Jackman Mail's It In"
post #118 of 218
Comic book movies are so much more tolerable when you don't pay to see them. REally liked Dark Knight though.
post #119 of 218
I like most of the recent comic book movies, but I don't get the love for the X-men ones. I'll watch them, because I don't want my nerd-card revoked, but I hope the reboot steps up the game a bit. We can all agree that the wolverine one was terrible... which is amazing since it's not that hard to make a good wolverine story. Just skip turning Deadpool into Baraka...
post #120 of 218
Thread Starter 
Movie was pretty good although the key is to forget anything you know about the comics. Yeah you heard it right Rambo.

They really made a new universe with these characters and story. As a stand alone movie w/o knowing the comics, it's pretty damn good. They tied in the Cuban missile crisis well, the bromance between Charles and Erik and how they came about in the first 3 films was handled well and the action was satisfying.

Main gripes, Jones as Frost was just a terrible decision. Frost is supposed to be this sexy and seductive woman but in the movie she is just a bitchy chick in her underwear. Jones just couldn't act too well, she was just there as an eye candy really.

Casting for Charles and Erik is pretty good too, especially Erik. Fassbender was a badass overall.

I don't want to put any spoilers in so I'll end the brief review there. There is no easter egg at the end of the credits so don't bother staying and there are a few bits and pieces in the film where the whole theater will be cheering. You'll know what it is once you see it.

I'll be ready to argue with Rambo after he sees the film and hates it.

I'd probably rank this on the same level as Thor or maybe slightly about it because the story is much better on this one.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Entertainment and Culture
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › X-Men: FIrst Class (movie thread)