or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Planning to buy a Swiss watch? Buy it now!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Planning to buy a Swiss watch? Buy it now!

post #1 of 24
Thread Starter 
Price will be increased as early as April.

http://on.wsj.com/e6Jny6
post #2 of 24
Damn it. If I can't afford one now, then getting one in the future will be even harder.
post #3 of 24
Yearly price increases have been fairly steep the last few years and they alway seem to occur in right around the Spring.

Not sure if this one will be any different though the Franc has been at its strongest over the past few months.

Despite all the doom and gloom over the strength of the global economy they must be selling new watches to justify an increase.

Notably though, pre-owned watches seem to be getting hit harder from my observation.
post #4 of 24
More reasons to buy german watch
post #5 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Anthony View Post
Yearly price increases have been fairly steep the last few years and they alway seem to occur in right around the Spring.

Not sure if this one will be any different though the Franc has been at its strongest over the past few months.

Despite all the doom and gloom over the strength of the global economy they must be selling new watches to justify an increase.Notably though, pre-owned watches seem to be getting hit harder from my observation.

The Chinese, they are flush in cash!


Quote:
Originally Posted by changy View Post
More reasons to buy german watch


Amen! A Lange & Sohne FTW!
post #6 of 24
Looks like I'm buying Seiko next time out. The Swiss in their agressive pursuit of the Asian market has priced themselves out of North America. I hate to see what happens if their new target market goes into recession, it won't be pretty.
post #7 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Smith View Post
Looks like I'm buying Seiko next time out. The Swiss in their agressive pursuit of the Asian market has priced themselves out of North America. I hate to see what happens if their new target market goes into recession, it won't be pretty.

+1. But it won't be happening anytime soon. China experienced a >10% economic growth last year. The Asian market has an insatiable appetite for luxury goods. As long as the world is buying Chinese made goods, it fuels this vicious circle.....
post #8 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Anthony View Post

Notably though, pre-owned watches seem to be getting hit harder from my observation.

Why would this have an impact on pre-owned swiss watch prices?

-LR
post #9 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljrcustom View Post
Why would this have an impact on pre-owned swiss watch prices? -LR
Demand and supply. Higher new watch price -> some people may opt to buy pre-owned pieces instead.
post #10 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by onix View Post
Demand and supply. Higher new watch price -> some people may opt to buy pre-owned pieces instead.

+1 I believe the term from economic 101 is substitute goods.
post #11 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by onix View Post
Demand and supply. Higher new watch price -> some people may opt to buy pre-owned pieces instead.

I understand this, but would this impact the price of pre-owned?

-LR
post #12 of 24
They long ago priced themselves out of the point where I think it is rational. I literally cackle hysterically when I see the prices on new Omegas, for example, which in the "good old days" were a fine value. I am not even talking about the big boys like PP, AP, VC, etc.

Glad I owned a pile of great stuff when you could still obtain a value, and that the novelty has worn off. Glad I still have a couple of pieces around as well.

Mike
post #13 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee_44106 View Post
Amen! A Lange & Sohne FTW!

This is the truth. Thats next on my list.
post #14 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee_44106 View Post
Amen! A Lange & Sohne FTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpooPoker View Post
This is the truth. Thats next on my list.

Come to the dark side, boys...



post #15 of 24
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Planning to buy a Swiss watch? Buy it now!