• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Okay, Who's Research is This? (Bacteria Analysis of Unwashed Denim)

Notreknip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know whether to be
nod[1].gif
or
shog[1].gif
that from all of the good research coming out of my school (University of Alberta), this is what is considered a "top story" by our national media. I mean, the scientific method here is clearly lacking, BUT I do love my denim. If my 3-years of slaving away at a Masters project gets 1% of this publicity I'd be thrilled. ...and to think I knew of all of the SF members in Edmonton... http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/TopStories...-jeans-110119/
A University of Alberta student has discovered that combining science and trendy fashion is safe, but can stink a little. Josh Le donned the same pair of skin-tight jeans for 15 months without washing them to break in the raw denim so it would appear worn and creased and hug his body. Le was curious about the health risks, so the 20-year-old asked his textiles professor to test the jeans for bacteria before he washed them for the first time. The results showed high counts of five different kinds of bacteria in the denim, but nothing that posed a health hazard. The professor tested the jeans again after Le wore them for another 13 days and discovered the same amount of bacteria. Le says he put his jeans in the freezer whenever they got smelly to kill the odour.
TL;DR - SW&D members likely reek, but probably won't die if for some reason they decide to lick the crotches of their raw jawnz.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was watching a documentary and one of the guys in the band usually fell asleep drunk in his jeans every night. End result: raging case of jock itch. I guess as long as they are actually taken off, you are usually ok.

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In related news: smoking is not a health hazard because no one has ever come close to dying after lighting up cigarettes for 15 months.

Originally Posted by Notreknip
this is what is considered a "top story" by our national media.

To be fair though, the political ramifications are huge:

Liberal Opposition leader: we should set aside some federal funding to care for homeless peoples... shelter, food, a change of clothes...

Conservative Leader: Actually!!, there was this study done at the University of Alberta....

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Back when I was in the process of obtaining my MS, I seriously thought about doing a similar study myself. I had access to the microbiology lab. I wanted to swab and culture bacteria counts, but I didn't know anyone who wore jeans that intensely without washing.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it would be relatively simple to do a change in microbial ecology over time study, perhaps with reference to washed jeans. Could pick out a few of the key players, as well as do a follow up study to figure out what it is they're actually eating. might be interesting.

Donut

Reaction score
I'm from edmonton too, and that research is pretty interesting.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by somatoform
Of course it isn't, and neither is "health hazard".

i'm trying to understand your point.

this is what i'm thinking you're saying: that the absence of known "harmful bacteria" doesn't necessarily mean the jeans don't necessarily have some type of negative health consequence to the wearer?

Keyboard Warrior

Reaction score
I'm more interested in the places he'd been in the past 15 months. If it's just home>college>home routine, well pretty much explains it.

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anybody checked SuFu to see if the news broke there. This guy has to be a member somewhere.

DrMoBueno

Reaction score
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

My scrotal sweat smells like crushed flowers, and my jeans' crotch squeezings are being studied as a green alternative energy source for automobiles.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads