or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Having a suit made before beginning a diet?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Having a suit made before beginning a diet?

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
After being out of the gym for several months and working long hours I put on about 15 pounds.

I am back in the gym and eating better, so I expect to lose this weight over the next 3 months or so.

However, mytailor.com will be in my city soon (Charlotte, NC) and I really want/need a new suit (i currently have two suits..both are generic department store RTW).

About my body:
All of my fat is around my gut. I am currently about a 35"-ish waist but will be back down to 33"-ish when I am done (just a tad over where I was before). My chest size hasn't changed, and my neck size only slightly (picked up a hint of a droopy chin).

My main problem is my legs: I have chicken legs and a scrawny seat, so I have a hard time finding pants that don't look funny on me.



With mytailor in town I figured I could have something made that looks good on me, but what happens in 3 months? If I have the pants taken in 2" will it mess up the fit on my rear?



Not sure when they will be in the area next, or if any other tailors visit (no other affordable ones that I know of).

Thanks,

FM
post #2 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorMonkey
After being out of the gym for several months and working long hours I put on about 15 pounds.

I am back in the gym and eating better, so I expect to lose this weight over the next 3 months or so.

However, mytailor.com will be in my city soon (Charlotte, NC) and I really want/need a new suit (i currently have two suits..both are generic department store RTW).

About my body:
All of my fat is around my gut. I am currently about a 35"-ish waist but will be back down to 33"-ish when I am done (just a tad over where I was before). My chest size hasn't changed, and my neck size only slightly (picked up a hint of a droopy chin).

My main problem is my legs: I have chicken legs and a scrawny seat, so I have a hard time finding pants that don't look funny on me.



With mytailor in town I figured I could have something made that looks good on me, but what happens in 3 months? If I have the pants taken in 2" will it mess up the fit on my rear?



Not sure when they will be in the area next, or if any other tailors visit (no other affordable ones that I know of).

Thanks,

FM

in a word, don't.

over the years I have never worn out a suit. I have, however, thrown out 3 perfectly good bespoke suits due to loosing weight, and 2 others due to gaining wieght.

you can't get a good grip on what your body will be like at the end of a diet. wait. good luck.
post #3 of 14
What he said. ^^^^^ Even assuming you end up exactly where you want, you never know what sort of idioscyncracies of fit might exist - the change in body shape may exaggerate or minimze, for example, a slight shoulder imbalance or the balance between back and chest.
post #4 of 14
Thread Starter 
That is what I figured.

What I may do, however, is to have a topcoat made.

My chest/shoulders have not changed so i would not expect them to change as i lose weight.

And I do need a new camel topcoat...Anyone used mytailor.com for a topcoat yet?
post #5 of 14
I lost weight a few years back and everything changed - even neck size and arm length. Even shirts that once fit very well are now too large. I would hold off.
post #6 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas
I lost weight a few years back and everything changed - even neck size and arm length. Even shirts that once fit very well are now too large. I would hold off.

At what point do I actually buy then?

My weight constantly changes and it is not uncommon for me to drift 3pounds in a month without trying.

Then its not uncommon for me to put that weight back on, and myabe a few more pounds.

Its all a factor of how busy I am at work..my weight/waist will never be pegged at one point.
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorMonkey
At what point do I actually buy then?

My weight constantly changes and it is not uncommon for me to drift 3pounds in a month without trying.

Then its not uncommon for me to put that weight back on, and myabe a few more pounds.

Its all a factor of how busy I am at work..my weight/waist will never be pegged at one point.


Three pounds loss or gain in any one month does not matter (as long as it is not the same every month. Anything much over 14 pounds can be a problem, as I can prove.
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorMonkey
At what point do I actually buy then?

My weight constantly changes and it is not uncommon for me to drift 3pounds in a month without trying.


Once you've settled into a routine and your body has stopped adjusting, then I would start buying. Your training protocol - since you're doing this to facilitate a body change - should be consistent and sustainable. If you can stick with it over a couple of months then you should be good to go.

A few years back I was in heavy training and lost a couple of inches off my waist. I promptly had some pants taken in, but not all of them, which turned out for the best. I got injured and couldn't find a good substitute activity and those pants became unwearable in short order.
post #9 of 14
A garment must be fit to the body, in its current condition.
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorMonkey
At what point do I actually buy then?

My weight constantly changes and it is not uncommon for me to drift 3pounds in a month without trying.

3 pounds means nothing.

Quote:
Then its not uncommon for me to put that weight back on, and myabe a few more pounds.

Its all a factor of how busy I am at work..my weight/waist will never be pegged at one point.

If your weight changes so much that you adjust your waist size constantly, bespoke would most likely not be for you.
post #11 of 14
Until you're abcolutely sure you'll be able to shed the pounds, I'd get fitted now and have the clothes taken in when you slim down.
post #12 of 14
I would wait. There is no such thing as only gaining or losing weight in the gut no matter how many crunches you do. Fat loss occurs all over the body and having a tailor only adjust the waist will leave you with a less than ideal result.
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragdoll
There is no such thing as only gaining or losing weight in the gut no matter how many crunches you do. Fat loss occurs all over the body and having a tailor only adjust the waist will leave you with a less than ideal result.
This is the correct answer
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorMonkey
After being out of the gym for several months and working long hours I put on about 15 pounds.

I am back in the gym and eating better, so I expect to lose this weight over the next 3 months or so.

However, mytailor.com will be in my city soon (Charlotte, NC) and I really want/need a new suit (i currently have two suits..both are generic department store RTW).

About my body:
All of my fat is around my gut. I am currently about a 35"-ish waist but will be back down to 33"-ish when I am done (just a tad over where I was before). My chest size hasn't changed, and my neck size only slightly (picked up a hint of a droopy chin).

My main problem is my legs: I have chicken legs and a scrawny seat, so I have a hard time finding pants that don't look funny on me.



With mytailor in town I figured I could have something made that looks good on me, but what happens in 3 months? If I have the pants taken in 2" will it mess up the fit on my rear?



Not sure when they will be in the area next, or if any other tailors visit (no other affordable ones that I know of).

Thanks,

FM

no no no dont do it. wait till the diet is over.

on the single trousers. buy a size 2" smaller then have the waist let out. rtw trousers usually have 2" of outlet at the waist. that way the seat and legs will be smaller.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Having a suit made before beginning a diet?