or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Chippewa Boots
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Chippewa Boots

post #1 of 57
Thread Starter 
I used to like Doc Martens in my younger years. But nowadays I don't like the fact that their made in China, and I don't really like the fact that Doc's yellow stitching and sole scream "these are Doc Martens". There are a ton of boot threads that I've read about other good boot manufacturers but I've only come across a few much about Chippewas. Has anyone had a good experience with them? I have been thinking about getting these boots:

http://www.amazon.com/Chippewa-Mens-...=pd_sbs_shoe_2

I appreciate any input on this matter!
post #2 of 57
I have two pairs of the 6 inch (dark brown and tan) as well as the pull on that is a similar style. Great boots, very comfortable, I wear them every weekday.
post #3 of 57
I have the LLBean Katahdin Engineer Boot which is made by Chippewa and I believe is the 6" version. I've only had them a few months but haven't had any issues with them. They were super comfortable right out of the box which was a good thing. They have quickly become the only casual footwear I've been wearing since the fall. I also wear them to work quite a bit - I work in a pretty casual office and these go great with cords or khaki pants.
post #4 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macready View Post
I used to like Doc Martens in my younger years. But nowadays I don't like the fact that their made in China, and I don't really like the fact that Doc's yellow stitching and sole scream "these are Doc Martens". There are a ton of boot threads that I've read about other good boot manufacturers but I've only come across a few much about Chippewas. Has anyone had a good experience with them? I have been thinking about getting these boots:

http://www.amazon.com/Chippewa-Mens-...=pd_sbs_shoe_2

I appreciate any input on this matter!

Yes, I have these and the 6" version (also in rodeo tan color, the ligher shade) and they are awesome. Tremendous value and craftsmanship is pretty good. Made in USA, gotta love that. For sizing, they size the same as Red Wing for me. Pick em up, you'll thank yourself.

Oh and here's the tan color:
post #5 of 57
I bought the Katahdin boots from LL Bean last year. I worked outside through the winter and they held up great. I'm sure they're going to last me years, and then Chippewa offers resole-ing for 60 bucks I think.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/49464...engineer-boots
post #6 of 57
You can still source Made in the UK Docs, I've found two pair myself, very comfortable.
post #7 of 57
I have a pair of the "Arctic" (waterproof, insulated) 6" boots and I absolutely love them. I doubt I will ever need to buy another pair of snow/work boots. They are built like a tank and extremely comfortable. Highly recommended!
post #8 of 57
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the responses! The 8" ones that I'm thinking of getting seem fairly similar to the engineer boot that several of you endorse, but it just has a some extra eyelets (I prefer 8" boots) so I think it's a go. Here's a pic of the ones I'm thinking of getting if you don't want to click the link above.
post #9 of 57
Can any of you Chippewa owners shed light on the sizing? I usually get a size 14E in brands like Alden. Unfortunately the Chippewa boot I want only comes in 14EE or 14D. What are my chances of getting away with a 14D? I *hate* narrow shoes, but I read somewhere that the Chip's may run a bit large. Have to say they look brilliant in terms of aesthetics and craftsmanship.
post #10 of 57
I sized mine up one, since I pretty much always wear them with thick, heavy boot socks.
post #11 of 57
I have two pairs of this brand and they are fine boots. Also, made in USA, but it always pays to check with each model at each purchase.
post #12 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
Can any of you Chippewa owners shed light on the sizing?

I usually get a size 14E in brands like Alden. Unfortunately the Chippewa boot I want only comes in 14EE or 14D. What are my chances of getting away with a 14D? I *hate* narrow shoes, but I read somewhere that the Chip's may run a bit large.

Have to say they look brilliant in terms of aesthetics and craftsmanship.

A tad wide, but not enough if you plan on wearing a heavy sock and you at a true "E." I am a 9D and find them just a little wide but bearable.
post #13 of 57
Those look excellent. Nice price point too.
post #14 of 57
Dec. 25, 2010: Santa gives Johdus Fanfoozal a pair of Chippewa 25290 and a jar of Sno-seal.

Dec. 26, 2010: Fanfoozal has to abandon his car 2.5 miles from home during the great Northeast Blizzard.

Wearing his Christmas gift with his other Christmas gift generously slathered on it, Fanfoozal trudges through the unshoveled, unplowed streets of Hudson County to make his way home.

His feet remain dry.

So remember kids:



+



works.
post #15 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
A tad wide, but not enough if you plan on wearing a heavy sock and you at a true "E." I am a 9D and find them just a little wide but bearable.

That's tough then... If they're a tad wide then a 14EE will surely be too wide.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Chippewa Boots