or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts? - Page 67

post #991 of 5026
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post

I noticed that they tend to sell the regular horse hide (not cordovan) boots for more money than calf. I would think there might be less of this availible than cowhide which probably explains why it cost more. However are there any advantages of buying Horse Hide over Calf?

for boots, I dont think there is much of a difference in application.  Depending on who you ask, HH might be a bit more resistant to abrasion, but that doesnt really apply to boots.  Thats usually a jacket thing (motorcycle jackets).  I think HH is also thinner, and usually has a tighter grain.  Im not a hide expert, but I did go through this when getting my motorcycle jacket made.  For boots, aside from being a more traditional material, these days its more of a trend than anything else.  That said, Im most likely gonna jump on the bandwagon at some point:)  

post #992 of 5026
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyearlobes View Post

for boots, I dont think there is much of a difference in application.  Depending on who you ask, HH might be a bit more resistant to abrasion, but that doesnt really apply to boots.  Thats usually a jacket thing (motorcycle jackets).  I think HH is also thinner, and usually has a tighter grain.  Im not a hide expert, but I did go through this when getting my motorcycle jacket made.  For boots, aside from being a more traditional material, these days its more of a trend than anything else.  That said, Im most likely gonna jump on the bandwagon at some point:)  

Thanks for the input. I think I may need to do some further research, but I know I tended to like the HH version more at least based on the pictures I saw. I know if I get another boot of this type I'll have to seriously consider a white's semi dress boot.

 

.

post #993 of 5026
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post

Thanks for the input. I think I may need to do some further research, but I know I tended to like the HH version more at least based on the pictures I saw. I know if I get another boot of this type I'll have to seriously consider a white's semi dress boot.

 

.


I talked to Kyle about this and he said Chromexcel was his choice for a more casual boot and horse hide was much dressier because it's smoother / shinier.

post #994 of 5026
Quote:
Originally Posted by grendel View Post


I talked to Kyle about this and he said Chromexcel was his choice for a more casual boot and horse hide was much dressier because it's smoother / shinier.

Thank you

 

 

Thats kind of the impression I was getting from looking at the pictures on the website as well.

post #995 of 5026
Quote:
Originally Posted by grendel View Post

Ah, I missed that. I was planning on the cuban heel anyway. I'd do the block if they cut it as close as the cuban, but the way they do it is just too big hanging off the back

yeah, i see what you mean.
'got the lowered block heels on my SD HH, but i did have a plan b.
i find White's Cuban too severe, so plan was to get them tapered like the Viberg's once i re-heel.
post #996 of 5026
Quote:
Originally Posted by grendel View Post

 

Ah, I missed that. I was planning on the cuban heel anyway. I'd do the block if they cut it as close as the cuban, but the way they do it is just too big hanging off the back. 

 

 

It's funny you mention how the SD's block heel stick out like that. I never noticed that characteristic specifically but never liked it much either. Once you point it out, that may be what I don't like about the block heel.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIIrd Icon View Post


yeah, i see what you mean.
'got the lowered block heels on my SD HH, but i did have a plan b.
i find White's Cuban too severe, so plan was to get them tapered like the Viberg's once i re-heel.

 

 

I always assumed that the cuban heel found on Whites & viberg were virtually the same. I'll have to look a bit closer at them. What is it about Viberg's cuban that you prefer over Whites? Or...what's the difference between the two? It took me a while to like White's cuban heel. Now when I see an SD or SJ without a cuban heel, it looks to be lacking something, IMHO.

post #997 of 5026

I wouldn't even call it a Cuban heel, it's more like a western style heel that you see on Cowboy boots, which kind of go with White's aesthetics. If you are going to get a block heel you should just get a more European/Northeastern inspired boot like Red Wings. Viberg is kind of a blend between the two styles.

post #998 of 5026

Does anyone have any pictures of black horsehide after some wear?  I have seen Brown, but not black.  I know it's a good leather, but it seems to "crease" quite a bit in wear, and I wonder how that looks over time.

 

Regaring the Whites vs Viberg heel, I agree that Viberg strikes a nice middle ground between the drastic taper of White's cuban and a block. I think they get it just right.  The heel options are the main thing that's holding me up on  ordering a Whites boot.  The cuban is too tapered for me, and the block hangs so far over the back, as some have noticed.  Either a flush block or a less severe taper would seal the deal for me.

post #999 of 5026
Quote:
Originally Posted by linafelt View Post

Does anyone have any pictures of black horsehide after some wear?  I have seen Brown, but not black.  I know it's a good leather, but it seems to "crease" quite a bit in wear, and I wonder how that looks over time.

Here's my black pair, close to a year wear on them.



post #1000 of 5026
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_b View Post

I always assumed that the cuban heel found on Whites & viberg were virtually the same. I'll have to look a bit closer at them. What is it about Viberg's cuban that you prefer over Whites? Or...what's the difference between the two? It took me a while to like White's cuban heel. Now when I see an SD or SJ without a cuban heel, it looks to be lacking something, IMHO.
SD HH x Bison: current heel shape


Proposed Viberg heels

Quote:
Originally Posted by linafelt View Post

Does anyone have any pictures of black horsehide after some wear?  I have seen Brown, but not black.  I know it's a good leather, but it seems to "crease" quite a bit in wear, and I wonder how that looks over time.

Regaring the Whites vs Viberg heel, I agree that Viberg strikes a nice middle ground between the drastic taper of White's cuban and a block. I think they get it just right.  The heel options are the main thing that's holding me up on  ordering a Whites boot.  The cuban is too tapered for me, and the block hangs so far over the back, as some have noticed.  Either a flush block or a less severe taper would seal the deal for me.

you can always have the block heels sanded down by your local cobbler. quite simple & straightforward adjustment, imo
Edited by IIIrd Icon - 12/16/12 at 7:46am
post #1001 of 5026

I've read every single page of this... I'm obsessed with these beautiful boots! Just sharing my own.

 

 

 

post #1002 of 5026

IIIrd Icon,

Thanks for sharing. I know what you mean now about the Viberg heel. Much more different than I would have thought.

 

For reference, I just asked a friend to take some pictures to compare the Whites & Viberg heel. He recently took ownership of the Viberg Service boot (mocha CXL) and has had the White's Classic Work boot (brown CXL) for a couple of years. I just sent him this link so perhaps he can chime in on any comfort and aesthetic differences.

 

1000

 

 

1000

 

1000

 

1000

 

 

The last thing I need is another pair of work boots but Whites & Viberg are just in a completely different league than my original brown Wolverine 1K's and my RW Beckman/9011.

 

I was all set earlier this year to build a pair of SD's in brown dress & cuban heel when my wife surprised me with a pair of RW Beckman's out of the blue. I was so shocked that she remembered which boot. Maybe she listens to me after all when i'm droning on about apparel & footwear smile.gif. I figured my boot needs were taken care of but I keep coming back to the SD. It's a curse.

post #1003 of 5026

The wolverine 1000's are not even in the same league as Whites or Viberg's.  In fact, all the 1000's I have seen and handled seemed flimsy and cheap.  I personally prefer the Viberg heel. I have a lowerd cuban on my White's and I might just have a standard height done next time around.  I kinda wish it was more modern to be honest, but whatever, its  a small complaint.  

post #1004 of 5026
The form factor of 1000 miles is smaller and they always feel too light & diminutive.
White's are far more substantial and heavier, a much better compliment to substantial jeans and workwear.
I even vastly prefer red wing beckmans to wolverine 1000 mile boots.
I've kept a pair of chestnut 9013's around after selling the 1000 miles I've had over the years.
post #1005 of 5026
Love to see a full side shot of each of these...

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_b View Post

IIIrd Icon,
Thanks for sharing. I know what you mean now about the Viberg heel. Much more different than I would have thought.

For reference, I just asked a friend to take some pictures to compare the Whites & Viberg heel. He recently took ownership of the Viberg Service boot (mocha CXL) and has had the White's Classic Work boot (brown CXL) for a couple of years. I just sent him this link so perhaps he can chime in on any comfort and aesthetic differences.

1000



1000


1000


1000



The last thing I need is another pair of work boots but Whites & Viberg are just in a completely different league than my original brown Wolverine 1K's and my RW Beckman/9011.

I was all set earlier this year to build a pair of SD's in brown dress & cuban heel when my wife surprised me with a pair of RW Beckman's out of the blue. I was so shocked that she remembered which boot. Maybe she listens to me after all when i'm droning on about apparel & footwear smile.gif . I figured my boot needs were taken care of but I keep coming back to the SD. It's a curse.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts?