or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts? - Page 556

post #8326 of 8702
I'm about to order some engineer boots and I want the color to fade to a lighter color over time like dress leather does. Will black smooth fade to a lighter color or is the leather dyed all the way through?
post #8327 of 8702
Quote:
Originally Posted by phidauex View Post

I'll add a new picture! Spent the last two days at a jobsite of ours, a 20 MW solar plant (>100 acres) which was in the process of getting hammered by a tropical storm. So I was basically in torrential rain and ankle deep mud for two days with barely enough time to dry the boots in the hotel room between. As usual they held up great, kept me dry and secure, and have earned a good cleaning, complete drying and a fresh coat of Obenhaufs LP at home.

Makeup: White's Bounty Hunter (by Bakers), 7" height, steel toe, smooth brown and red dog, Vibram 430 sole, Cuban heel.

This photo is back at the truck, after crudely hosing the boots off so I could drive without spreading mud everywhere. The kilties were all over the place, so back home I'm now trimming them a bit closer, and adding some additional lace holes to hold them better in place. I don't love the look, but they do make for a more secure lace job, and some tongue protection.
  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

Big fan of Red Dog leather.  It looks great here.  If you find you have to scrub a lot to get dirt off when you are in dry conditions, you could try the Obenaufs oil instead of the Heavy Duty LP.  Of course this is just my opinion, but I like it better on my boots. I found I was scrubbing my boots a lot more when I used the HDLP, and I could spray my boots with a water hose to clean them off (mostly) when I used the oil.  I guess the difference is there was less excess product on the leather?  Anyways, just a thought.  For the record, I was putting the HDLP in the microwave to melt it before I applied it, so it was soft and even somewhat drippy.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by strangebrew View Post

I'm about to order some engineer boots and I want the color to fade to a lighter color over time like dress leather does. Will black smooth fade to a lighter color or is the leather dyed all the way through?

 

I don't think black smooth will fade at all, and mine are dyed all the way through.  I've used my boots pretty hard for a little over a year now, and they haven't faded.  They have some big scuffs and now some scratches from barb wire in them, but no fading.  With some cleaning and oiling the marks are almost unnoticeable.  It's very tough leather.  The store where I bought mine had two boots as display models, and when I felt the leather I understood the price.  Not that I had doubts, just saying. 

post #8328 of 8702

Is leather liner recommended for dress brown? Does it affect breathing? I have sweaty feet, and I wear boots four seasons.

 

Also, does leather sole wear off quickly? If I go with double leather sole, does it increase resoling price and shorten resoling period? I won'y use the boots for real work, so I'm considering double leather sole v.s. single midsole plus Vibram 700 for aesthetic reason.

post #8329 of 8702
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasthall View Post
 

Is leather liner recommended for dress brown? Does it affect breathing? I have sweaty feet, and I wear boots four seasons.

 

Also, does leather sole wear off quickly? If I go with double leather sole, does it increase resoling price and shorten resoling period? I won'y use the boots for real work, so I'm considering double leather sole v.s. single midsole plus Vibram 700 for aesthetic reason.

I have two pairs of dress brown (one in 9" and the other in 6") and the 9" pair is lined while the 6" is not (I wanted to experiment a bit).  I notice more creasing in the unlined version, and to be honest, I feel no appreciable difference in breathability in lined vs unlined, so I'd recommend going lined.

 

I can't help you on the leather sole because I've always gone with the Vibram 430 from White's.

post #8330 of 8702
I just ordered some Brown CXL Baker's White's Hathorn stitch-down Oxfords (though they are actually Derbies). After commiserating with me about the lack of sole options, Kyle offered to customize them with regular heels and Vibram mini-lug half soles...though this almost means paying for a full resole on top of the base price.

I am excited...I imagine they will turn out real nice.
post #8331 of 8702
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathpah View Post
 

I have two pairs of dress brown (one in 9" and the other in 6") and the 9" pair is lined while the 6" is not (I wanted to experiment a bit).  I notice more creasing in the unlined version, and to be honest, I feel no appreciable difference in breathability in lined vs unlined, so I'd recommend going lined.

 

I can't help you on the leather sole because I've always gone with the Vibram 430 from White's.

Thank you for sharing experience. The photos of your boots are what made me want to go with dress brown!

post #8332 of 8702
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasthall View Post
 

Thank you for sharing experience. The photos of your boots are what made me want to go with dress brown!

I'm happy to help.  Here are a few more for updates.  They didn't get as much wear this winter as they would most winters, as I spent a month in Japanut  (too often taking shoes on/off) and two months in India (too hot), but it should still show you the progress of this leather.

 

 

 

 

 

 

post #8333 of 8702
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathpah View Post
 

I'm happy to help.  Here are a few more for updates.  They didn't get as much wear this winter as they would most winters, as I spent a month in Japanut  (too often taking shoes on/off) and two months in India (too hot), but it should still show you the progress of this leather.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Any plan to clean and condition them recently? I figure the toes will be even more beautiful!

post #8334 of 8702
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintSplattered View Post

Big fan of Red Dog leather.  It looks great here.  If you find you have to scrub a lot to get dirt off when you are in dry conditions, you could try the Obenaufs oil instead of the Heavy Duty LP.  Of course this is just my opinion, but I like it better on my boots. I found I was scrubbing my boots a lot more when I used the HDLP, and I could spray my boots with a water hose to clean them off (mostly) when I used the oil.  I guess the difference is there was less excess product on the leather?  Anyways, just a thought.  For the record, I was putting the HDLP in the microwave to melt it before I applied it, so it was soft and even somewhat drippy.

Thanks for the tip, the HDLP is indeed a bit "sticky". Of course, the mud I was in was like wet concrete - particularly clay-heavy. I do have some of the oil, just don't use it as often. I'll try some out before my next dirty trip and see how that helps the cleanup!
post #8335 of 8702
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasthall View Post
 

Any plan to clean and condition them recently? I figure the toes will be even more beautiful!

In truth, one of my favorite part about this leather is the dark outside and the lighter core, and I really enjoy the contrast on the toes and heels.  The leather isn't overly dry, and there's no way to get the smooth outer layer back...so I don't think the boots would benefit that much from a conditioning right now.

post #8336 of 8702
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathpah View Post
 

In truth, one of my favorite part about this leather is the dark outside and the lighter core, and I really enjoy the contrast on the toes and heels.  The leather isn't overly dry, and there's no way to get the smooth outer layer back...so I don't think the boots would benefit that much from a conditioning right now.

Yeah, I love that contrast coming from underneath brown layer too, but I guess I prefer leather being smooth. Still beautiful broken-in pair yours are. I hope I can get that kind of fading soon. 

post #8337 of 8702
How can I get that kind of look in a pair of engineer boots? I guess the smooth leather is dyed all the way through so is my only option wesco?
post #8338 of 8702

I think shoes look great when they show some age after being well cared for.

post #8339 of 8702
I totally agree!! I'm enjoying all the pictures. I'd much rather buy a well cared for used pair of boots over a new pair any day. Size 11. Lol
post #8340 of 8702
better pics of my bounty hunters.


New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts?