or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts? - Page 534

post #7996 of 8693

And the Classic Work Boots in Brown Smooth. Just over a year old. Heel cap needs to be replaced but I'll probably just send them in for a full resole onto a Vibram 430. Don't understand why that isn't an option as stock.

 

 

 

And the I got them vs now. Side by side the color change looks a lot more drastic than it really is but the color has definitely become more subdued with wear.

 

  

post #7997 of 8693
Nice! Making me wish I had gotten my Brown Distressed Swing Last Bounty Hunters at 8" instead of 6"
post #7998 of 8693
Quote:
Originally Posted by broken_oracle View Post

Nice! Making me wish I had gotten my Brown Distressed Swing Last Bounty Hunters at 8" instead of 6"

 

Most of us are looking for excuses to get more pairs; now you have another one. :-)

 

Also, I'm told most men can get by with 6", except if they're making movies or something like that.

post #7999 of 8693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirling View Post

Most of us are looking for excuses to get more pairs; now you have another one. :-)

Also, I'm told most men can get by with 6", except if they're making movies or something like that.
I was told that the width also comes into play.
post #8000 of 8693
What's the benefit of higher ankle boots? I got really difficulty to drive my car in just 6".
post #8001 of 8693

Regarding the height of boots, 6" boots hit my ankle bones in an awkward spot and it can be quite painful simply trying them on.  

 

I had some 7" boots I used for work for years and that seems to be the minimum I needed if I wanted to go higher than a shoe.

post #8002 of 8693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royteane View Post

What's the benefit of higher ankle boots? I got really difficulty to drive my car in just 6".
 

If your doing anything where ankle support comes into play the difference in 6" to 10' is night and day. On days when I working on ladders for any length of time, my 10" smoke jumpers are all that's holding me up after a couple of hours. Same job in my 6" bounty hunters ends up kicking my butt. You can just feel the extra support when lacing up a taller boot, and yea, they look cool enough for the movies. :)

post #8003 of 8693

Regarding White's Semi Dress and Iron Rangers I wear an 8.5d in White's and an 8d in the Iron Rangers (8111 and 8119.  I do wear an 8.5d in the Red Wing Foreman's Oxford which shares the same last as the Iron Ranger but the shoes seem to fit a little smaller than the boots.

post #8004 of 8693
Quote:
Originally Posted by sault View Post

Regarding White's Semi Dress and Iron Rangers I wear an 8.5d in White's and an 8d in the Iron Rangers (8111 and 8119.  I do wear an 8.5d in the Red Wing Foreman's Oxford which shares the same last as the Iron Ranger but the shoes seem to fit a little smaller than the boots.

I wear the same size, length-wise, in RW Iron Rangers and Foreman Oxfords, as well as White's Semi-Dress. However, with all of them, I am really between two lengths (9.5 and 10). Things get complicated for me because my feet are a little narrow and low volume. I found the C width in Semi-Dresses feel significantly more comfortable than D width...I also have long arches/short toes...between all these factors I am learning I do better with longer footwear in narrower widths. Extra room in the toe really doesn't cause a problem for me, which I have heard is generally the case, especially with boots. A number of boot manufacturers explicitly say you should have at least 5/8ths of an inch in front of your longest toe.

All the sizong advice in the world will not guarantee you get the right size...at best it will only get you within a half-size. Then, even if it is the "right size," a certain pair of footwear may just not work well for you, comfort-wise. Also, unless you try on a couple different sizes, you really won't know which feels best for you. There is no replacement for a well-stocked brick and mortar store.

Although I have heard about people getting excellent results with sending in their tracings, I have also heard the opposite.

For White's, I have had good luck buying through Kyle at bakershoe.com. He knows a lot and will work to make sure you are satisfied.
post #8005 of 8693

 

 

 

 

 

Little over a month of light use. I haven't had very many days outside of the office so they still look new. Yesterday I was asked if I was a Lineman, from a retired Lineman. We then had a 15 minute discussion on boots and how his White's (serious lineman working boots) were still in great shape after 20 years. He did talk about how they measured his foot with a plaster, to get a true measurement of his feet.

 

Anyone on this forum, have a mold made of their foot and got a pair of White's truly custom?

Why don't they do that today, instead of the tape measure and tracings?

 

Seems like you would have a truly custom boot with a mold cast of your feet. Any way, they are GREAT! Changes with my next pair of White's or Nick's is a more grippy sole, probably a 430 Vibram. I went with these 296 Vibram due to a better flex for a more comfortable walking boot, and really like how well they flex and are great but tried to walk up a step grade of wet grass, and kept slipping. They only other 'change' to these boots are the false tongue, it is too short and Kyle has sent out a longer one. Hopefully be here thise week. Need to get my laces tight to keep my boots from eating my socks.

 

Any one here have issues with White's eating your socks as you walk a mile or more?

 

Not a big deal, probably need new socks, (Costco black thin dress socks) as mine are old and have stretched out a bit. I'm using a thin sock to start with the thinking the leather will stretch less and have more 'give' over time. 

 

Comfort:

Still like walking on a roll of penny's, but using the leather inserts make it easy to wear them all day and not have to give my feet a break any more. So it is getting better, not there yet, but the summer is coming and my feet get hot so I think after a week of 100' heat my feet will bake them in quite nicely. 

 

Over all impressions after a month:

Still amazed at how well they are made, (Nicest boot I have ever owned) and how well they are fitted. I have wide feet FFFF and you can see from the pictures they are perfectly wide enough for my feet. My choice of Vibram isn't a popular one, but I'm still liking how they move and flex with my feet. The sole isn't nearly as solid as some of the other Vibram options, but I think for my light duty needs they are perfect. and still should last years before they need to be resoled. I highly recommend White's to anyone wanting a quality boot. 

post #8006 of 8693
2 months of heavy use with my bounty hunters. they're darker than jakevoodoo's because they were initially treated with a light coat of obenauf's as they get wet and dirty from work a bit.





post #8007 of 8693
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeVooDoo View Post
 

 

 

 

 

 

Little over a month of light use. I haven't had very many days outside of the office so they still look new. Yesterday I was asked if I was a Lineman, from a retired Lineman. We then had a 15 minute discussion on boots and how his White's (serious lineman working boots) were still in great shape after 20 years. He did talk about how they measured his foot with a plaster, to get a true measurement of his feet.

 

Anyone on this forum, have a mold made of their foot and got a pair of White's truly custom?

Why don't they do that today, instead of the tape measure and tracings?

 

Seems like you would have a truly custom boot with a mold cast of your feet. Any way, they are GREAT! Changes with my next pair of White's or Nick's is a more grippy sole, probably a 430 Vibram. I went with these 296 Vibram due to a better flex for a more comfortable walking boot, and really like how well they flex and are great but tried to walk up a step grade of wet grass, and kept slipping. They only other 'change' to these boots are the false tongue, it is too short and Kyle has sent out a longer one. Hopefully be here thise week. Need to get my laces tight to keep my boots from eating my socks.

 

Any one here have issues with White's eating your socks as you walk a mile or more?

 

Not a big deal, probably need new socks, (Costco black thin dress socks) as mine are old and have stretched out a bit. I'm using a thin sock to start with the thinking the leather will stretch less and have more 'give' over time. 

 

Comfort:

Still like walking on a roll of penny's, but using the leather inserts make it easy to wear them all day and not have to give my feet a break any more. So it is getting better, not there yet, but the summer is coming and my feet get hot so I think after a week of 100' heat my feet will bake them in quite nicely. 

 

Over all impressions after a month:

Still amazed at how well they are made, (Nicest boot I have ever owned) and how well they are fitted. I have wide feet FFFF and you can see from the pictures they are perfectly wide enough for my feet. My choice of Vibram isn't a popular one, but I'm still liking how they move and flex with my feet. The sole isn't nearly as solid as some of the other Vibram options, but I think for my light duty needs they are perfect. and still should last years before they need to be resoled. I highly recommend White's to anyone wanting a quality boot. 


I went to Spokane and was measured in the store a few months ago, all they did was use a Brannock and tape measure to get size and width.  I will probably make the trip again for a more thorough fitting, as the boots have broken in one has heel slip that's become more pronounced.

post #8008 of 8693
Omg they look so much better after they have been worn than new. Thanks for sharing the photos !!!
post #8009 of 8693

I don't know if you have any White's with the standard last, but I'm wondering if you know the difference between the standard last and the "bounty hunter" last?  I understand the bounty hunter boot is based on the semi-dress last.  My smoke jumpers are based on the standard last and I'm getting some pinching in my toe-box.  I'm wondering if my problem could be solved by a slightly more roomy toe-box found in a different last.  Any advice?

post #8010 of 8693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinkalip View Post
 


I went to Spokane and was measured in the store a few months ago, all they did was use a Brannock and tape measure to get size and width.  I will probably make the trip again for a more thorough fitting, as the boots have broken in one has heel slip that's become more pronounced.


I have heard of other people being fitted by White's, the company itself, into boots that are too large.  Short of getting boots that have been truly made to fit you precisely, there is no better way than trying on boots in different lengths and widths around where you think you should be and going with the one that feels best, appears to fit the length of your heel-to-ball correctly, and leaves plenty of room in front of your toes (toes should never be touching the front of the boot, even when walking down hill carrying a backpack).  Boots should be rather snug, width-wise, when new, as they will stretch some.  This is why I think new boots should be checked for length with socks that are thicker than you plan on wearing, but checked for width with thinner socks than you will be wearing.

 

Whites gets stuck with your boots if they make them even a little too small, but can find a way to make boots a little large fit you, even if imperfectly, using inserts or whatever, so they have a bias to err on the large side.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts?