or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts? - Page 524

post #7846 of 8712
gait issues aside, a standard height block heel just looks goofy to me. throws everything off.

commando sole would probably be your best bet, but i don't think that's a standard option from white's, so you'd have to have baker do it or something. it's low profile enough to not make boots look chunky like the vibram 100.
post #7847 of 8712
Gentlemen,
 
I recall reading a while back that somebody got a pair of boots with a double midsole and ended up wishing he hadn't. I recall they were too heavy, too stiff and difficult to break in.
 

Apparently there is something called a triple slip that adds thickness to the sole stack, but isn't as thick as a double midsole.

 

I'm wondering if anybody has had other experience or recommendations for soles other than the standard single midsole. 

 

Thanks,

 

Todd

post #7848 of 8712

I meant to put this on the White's Boots discussion, but cannot figure out how to delete or move this post.

post #7849 of 8712
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtodd View Post

I meant to put this on the White's Boots discussion, but cannot figure out how to delete or move this post.

Done. Welcome.
post #7850 of 8712
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. burns View Post

gait issues aside, a standard height block heel just looks goofy to me. throws everything off.

Depends on your height, too. I'm 6'3 so a standard heel looks proportional.
post #7851 of 8712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carson View Post

Hi everyone. Looking to get my second pair of White's. My first pair - pictured below - have been fantastic. I love the arch-ease and robust build and especially the heel. That said, I am thinking about changing things up aesthetically on my second pair.
I think the details in question are 1) going with a block heel at regular height rather than a cuban heel 2) still unsure about the sole. I am looking for a robust, hardy boot but also one that can be dressed up a bit and isn't too utilitarian. 

At this point I am strongly leaning toward british tan at 10" 

Any big fans of the british tan out there? I've read - as I recall - that some people are not crazy about the block heel at the standard height because the gait seems a little off. Is there a consensus on that?  Also I am wondering if a full commando sole might be too clunky. Oddly it seems to be the only sole available that seems really rugged. I wish they had a more recessed commando sole available, but I am considering it anyway, clunky looks notwithstanding, as I would like something that I can hike around in, but also polish up a bit.


I've walked in both the standard heel and block. It does make a difference in gait; however, I have other boots with a block heel so it didn't feel weird.
I was very close to selecting British tan when I bought my natural CXLs. I saw British Tan in person and it is a very nice color with more variation, depth, and character than any picture I could find. You can't go wrong with it IMO.
post #7852 of 8712
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. burns View Post

gait issues aside, a standard height block heel just looks goofy to me. throws everything off.

commando sole would probably be your best bet, but i don't think that's a standard option from white's, so you'd have to have baker do it or something. it's low profile enough to not make boots look chunky like the vibram 100.


Or do the vibram 430 mini lug
.

And if you consider lowering the heel you should also consider how they wear vs how they look as the height is a feature for comfort. 

 

I prefer the cuban myself.

post #7853 of 8712
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. burns View Post

gait issues aside, a standard height block heel just looks goofy to me. throws everything off.

commando sole would probably be your best bet, but i don't think that's a standard option from white's, so you'd have to have baker do it or something. it's low profile enough to not make boots look chunky like the vibram 100.

After checking out more photos of the standard height block heel, I couldn't agree more…it looks kind of weird. SO, standard Cuban heel it is...

post #7854 of 8712
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
 


Or do the vibram 430 mini lug
.

And if you consider lowering the heel you should also consider how they wear vs how they look as the height is a feature for comfort. 

 

I prefer the cuban myself.

Yeah, i have the mini lug on my brown dress bounty hunters. It would be nice to find something in between that and the Vibram 100. Too bad that's not an option. 

post #7855 of 8712
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodAg View Post


I've walked in both the standard heel and block. It does make a difference in gait; however, I have other boots with a block heel so it didn't feel weird.
I was very close to selecting British tan when I bought my natural CXLs. I saw British Tan in person and it is a very nice color with more variation, depth, and character than any picture I could find. You can't go wrong with it IMO.

Thanks, natty CXL was on my short list, but I want something I can polish up a bit if I feel like. I'm thinking that British Tan is going to be a good color. 

post #7856 of 8712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carson View Post
 

Yeah, i have the mini lug on my brown dress bounty hunters. It would be nice to find something in between that and the Vibram 100. Too bad that's not an option. 

 

Unless you really need the lugs on the sole, you could consider the vibram 700.

 

BTW, to me, block heels on White's just don't look right. 

post #7857 of 8712

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), default quality

 

hey guys, if i want to copy Megatron1505's boots like above, will these options mimic it?

Whites bounty hunters 6in

black dress counter, toe vamp, and cap toe

black roughout shaft

no celastic toe box and no steel toe

all black eyelits

single midsole

natural edge(contrast is cool right?)

standard heel base(i want the cuban heel)

standard heel lifts

commando mini lug half sole

I chose no liner, i figure i can just wear thick socks if i need them, no pull loops because i don't really like them. I chose 6in because i particularly like the look of a long tongue sticking above the rest of the boot like these vibergs

but if i can get the boot taller (7 or 8 inch) with a bit of excess tongue i would like that 

post #7858 of 8712

I am thinking that it probably does have a celastic toe in it.

 

Also, I wonder if that is a double midsole.  (Though I would go with single myself.)_

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by danishhole View Post

 

 

 

...no celastic toe box and no steel toe...

 

...single midsole...

post #7859 of 8712
Quote:
Originally Posted by danishhole View Post
 

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), default quality

 

hey guys, if i want to copy Megatron1505's boots like above, will these options mimic it?

Whites bounty hunters 6in

black dress counter, toe vamp, and cap toe

black roughout shaft

no celastic toe box and no steel toe

all black eyelits

single midsole

natural edge(contrast is cool right?)

standard heel base(i want the cuban heel)

standard heel lifts

commando mini lug half sole

I chose no liner, i figure i can just wear thick socks if i need them, no pull loops because i don't really like them. I chose 6in because i particularly like the look of a long tongue sticking above the rest of the boot like these vibergs

 

I too would love to know. This week should be getting back my SD from Bakers (replacing hooks with eye-links, will post pics of repair) and want to break them in first, but will be ordering these black Whites next. They look sharp! You need black and brown shoes, so Im making both options White's!

post #7860 of 8712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carson View Post
 

Yeah, i have the mini lug on my brown dress bounty hunters. It would be nice to find something in between that and the Vibram 100. Too bad that's not an option. 


I think this is the model you are looking for:

 

Commando mini lug sole - Vibram #1273

 

vs.

 

Vibram #430 which is a little more subdued than the 1273 and way more subdued than the 100.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts?