or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts? - Page 516

post #7726 of 8708
But they look awesome man
post #7727 of 8708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachery Zhu View Post

Today my first pair of wesco job master arrived. It is kind of bold than smoke jumper but also beautiful and tough. There is no arch support and the weight is little lighter than smoke jumper. I don't know why. But the problem is that I find it uncomfortable to move my ankle because of the 10inch height. Plusing the Vibram 100 outsole, the movement is kinda like a robot. I think it wil be better when I really break in. However, my suggestion is think twice when you really want a pair of high shaft boots,8,10 or even higher. Some guys here suggested me about the inconvenience of high shaft, but I didn't pay much attention about that. They are correct!

I agree that they look good. I have previously heard one needs to get the Wescos in a size that will allow placement of a supportive insole.

I recently got my first tall boots--some 10" SJs. They take a little getting used to, but they certainly became more flexible with time. Whites recommends a water and rubbing alcohol mixture sprayed on spots that seem too stiff while you are wearing them. Nick's recommends a special lacing pattern: when goong from eyelets to hooks, skip the first pair, lace directly to second pair of hooks, then go back down and lace around first pair, then skip back to the third pair up, and finally lace from there up normally...they have a photo on their website. The point is to very snugly lock your heel down in the boot without biting too much into your instep, on top of the foot....this lacing really helped me..

If you haven't worn them outside, don't and call Wesco for advice...if you have worn them outside, still call Wesco for advice.

I apologize if any or all of the above is already well known to you...perhaps it will be useful to lurkers.

Regards,
Jon
post #7728 of 8708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirling View Post

I agree that they look good. I have previously heard one needs to get the Wescos in a size that will allow placement of a supportive insole.

I recently got my first tall boots--some 10" SJs. They take a little getting used to, but they certainly became more flexible with time. Whites recommends a water and rubbing alcohol mixture sprayed on spots that seem too stiff while you are wearing them. Nick's recommends a special lacing pattern: when goong from eyelets to hooks, skip the first pair, lace directly to second pair of hooks, then go back down and lace around first pair, then skip back to the third pair up, and finally lace from there up normally...they have a photo on their website. The point is to very snugly lock your heel down in the boot without biting too much into your instep, on top of the foot....this lacing really helped me..

If you haven't worn them outside, don't and call Wesco for advice...if you have worn them outside, still call Wesco for advice.

I apologize if any or all of the above is already well known to you...perhaps it will be useful to lurkers.

Regards,
Jon

Thank you very much Jon. I followed your suggestion to go to nicks website and I found the trick of lacing. Hope it wil help. And I'm going to apply some obenauf's boot oil to soften the leather. You are really helpful! Thank you!
post #7729 of 8708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachery Zhu View Post

Today my first pair of wesco job master arrived. It is kind of bold than smoke jumper but also beautiful and tough. There is no arch support and the weight is little lighter than smoke jumper. I don't know why. But the problem is that I find it uncomfortable to move my ankle because of the 10inch height. Plusing the Vibram 100 outsole, the movement is kinda like a robot. I think it wil be better when I really break in. However, my suggestion is think twice when you really want a pair of high shaft boots,8,10 or even higher. Some guys here suggested me about the inconvenience of high shaft, but I didn't pay much attention about that. They are correct! [IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG]




I have a pair of them. The shaft will soften and they won't be as uncomfortable after they break in. It does take some time though.
post #7730 of 8708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachery Zhu View Post

Today my first pair of wesco job master arrived. It is kind of bold than smoke jumper but also beautiful and tough. There is no arch support and the weight is little lighter than smoke jumper. I don't know why. But the problem is that I find it uncomfortable to move my ankle because of the 10inch height. Plusing the Vibram 100 outsole, the movement is kinda like a robot. I think it wil be better when I really break in. However, my suggestion is think twice when you really want a pair of high shaft boots,8,10 or even higher. Some guys here suggested me about the inconvenience of high shaft, but I didn't pay much attention about that. They are correct!
Hm, no arch support you say? I may like that (I use my own insoles). Guess I will look into Wesco for my next boot (how is sizing, same as White's? I had a 9EE in the SD but I think I can do even 8.5EE
post #7731 of 8708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachery Zhu View Post

Thank you very much Jon. I followed your suggestion to go to nicks website and I found the trick of lacing. Hope it wil help. And I'm going to apply some obenauf's boot oil to soften the leather. You are really helpful! Thank you!

That lacing pattern was a huge help to me as well. It worked as advertised.
post #7732 of 8708

 

 

Apparently, my custom order with Bakers (submitted to Whites Nov 2, 2015) won't be ready till the first part of February. Bakers called Whites, and found out that the sole I chose Vibram 296 are back ordered, and the soonest I would receive them is the Jan/Feb time frame. I've had to reset my expectations and remain calm for another 5 weeks. 

 

 

Zachery Zhu, 

Your boots look amazing, I started off my Whites order thinking I was going to get something similar to your's but since I'm going to be using them for just walking around 75% of the time switched gears to Bounty Hunters SD Last. Very curious to see how well they work for you once you break them in. 

post #7733 of 8708
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeVooDoo View Post





Apparently, my custom order with Bakers (submitted to Whites Nov 2, 2015) won't be ready till the first part of February. Bakers called Whites, and found out that the sole I chose Vibram 296 are back ordered, and the soonest I would receive them is the Jan/Feb time frame. I've had to reset my expectations and remain calm for another 5 weeks. 


Zachery Zhu, 
Your boots look amazing, I started off my Whites order thinking I was going to get something similar to your's but since I'm going to be using them for just walking around 75% of the time switched gears to Bounty Hunters SD Last. Very curious to see how well they work for you once you break them in. 
You could also ask for a different sole if you really want the boots? I'm sure a local cobbler can do that sole for you as well..
post #7734 of 8708
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintSplattered View Post

That lacing pattern was a huge help to me as well. It worked as advertised.

I am so glad! It is my pleaure to help when I can.
post #7735 of 8708
I've had my boots for maybe six or seven months now, and I used that lacing pattern even after they were broken in. I like how it helped shape the leather around my ankle too. I know I saw someone recommend it here before I bought my pair, and on the Nicks website too.

I've switched to a more "standard" lacing system now but the leather folds in the same comfortable way.
post #7736 of 8708
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeVooDoo View Post





Apparently, my custom order with Bakers (submitted to Whites Nov 2, 2015) won't be ready till the first part of February. Bakers called Whites, and found out that the sole I chose Vibram 296 are back ordered, and the soonest I would receive them is the Jan/Feb time frame. I've had to reset my expectations and remain calm for another 5 weeks. 


Zachery Zhu, 
Your boots look amazing, I started off my Whites order thinking I was going to get something similar to your's but since I'm going to be using them for just walking around 75% of the time switched gears to Bounty Hunters SD Last. Very curious to see how well they work for you once you break them in. 

Wow, that is unfortunate...Kyle said one gets longer wear out of the 430 and 700, so I am trying those on a couple of orders. I have the 269 on some Nick's. I haven't had them long enough to commebt on durability, but they work well and look good.
post #7737 of 8708
Quote:
Originally Posted by knucks View Post

Hm, no arch support you say? I may like that (I use my own insoles). Guess I will look into Wesco for my next boot (how is sizing, same as White's? I had a 9EE in the SD but I think I can do even 8.5EE

Yes, no arch support, and I I think you can go with the same size as SD's.
post #7738 of 8708
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeVooDoo View Post





Apparently, my custom order with Bakers (submitted to Whites Nov 2, 2015) won't be ready till the first part of February. Bakers called Whites, and found out that the sole I chose Vibram 296 are back ordered, and the soonest I would receive them is the Jan/Feb time frame. I've had to reset my expectations and remain calm for another 5 weeks. 


Zachery Zhu, 
Your boots look amazing, I started off my Whites order thinking I was going to get something similar to your's but since I'm going to be using them for just walking around 75% of the time switched gears to Bounty Hunters SD Last. Very curious to see how well they work for you once you break them in. 

Haha, I see. Sometimes good things needs more time to wait. If you order custom boots. I think whites is relatively cheap than wesco. My pair of wesco is factory second. So it's cheap. My work is in office, so most usage of boots is also like your case: walking. I'll update the photos when I really break in.
post #7739 of 8708
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintSplattered View Post

I've had my boots for maybe six or seven months now, and I used that lacing pattern even after they were broken in. I like how it helped shape the leather around my ankle too. I know I saw someone recommend it here before I bought my pair, and on the Nicks website too.

I've switched to a more "standard" lacing system now but the leather folds in the same comfortable way.

I have followed the method to lace on nicks website. Let's wait and see how it works.
post #7740 of 8708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirling View Post


Wow, that is unfortunate...Kyle said one gets longer wear out of the 430 and 700, so I am trying those on a couple of orders. I have the 269 on some Nick's. I haven't had them long enough to commebt on durability, but they work well and look good.

Whirling,

 

I haven't talked with anyone that chose the 269 Vibrams. I kinda knew they were not going to last as long, but was trading comfort for longevity. How are your nick's boots with the 269 when judging comfort? Are they thick soled? (mine were ordered with a single layer sole) How well do the bend with your feet? I walk a lot and wanted a thin sole that had some flexibility, since I live in CA I don't really need 'traction' you would need in snowy climates. I also don't do construction any more, so they are going to be used for walking, standing, and light barn duty.

 

As I read in the forum about the half Vibram soles causing issues, even though it was my first choice. I was thinking they would be the most flexible and comfortable option. Kyle steered me into the 269 due to my desire to have a flexible fit, yet a decently durable boot.  

 

And yes it is 1:45AM Christmas morning! Getting ready for the kids to see what Santa left under the tree. I got another 3 hours of 'Santa' duty. Reading the Whites Boot forum is my breaktime before I get back on task. Sad, i know...5-WEEKS!!!!

 

THANKS!!!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts?