I think the composite toe will keep the wet out if show melts, but the cordovan may well get damaged with the wet and chemicals they use to melt the snow. Keep those at home.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- The Great Cascadia Boot Thread Last post on 4/5/16 at 9:15am in Streetwear and Denim
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- NIB Gaziano & Girling Canterbury Balmoral Boot Shell Cordovan MH71 UK11.5E $2,200 Last post on 9/13/15 at 2:32am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- ORDER NOW! Viberg for Styleforum GMTO preorders Round1 - 2015 - Ends April 7. Last post on 2/2/16 at 4:15pm in Preorders, Group Made-to-order, trunk shows, and other collaborative efforts
- New Viberg for Styleforum GMTO makeups Last post on 6/6/16 at 1:28pm in Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
Last edited: 8/10/15
- A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOsLast edited: 5/24/16
- Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.Last edited: 2/9/16
- Stocking Stuffers for Your Favorite Denim HeadLast edited: 12/6/15
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts? - Page 514post #7696 of 871212/16/15 at 1:54pmpost #7697 of 871212/16/15 at 3:20pmQuote:Originally Posted by linafelt
Okay, calling all SD Brown Dress owners: I am thinking of getting a pair, but am thinking about the various options -- Brass vs antique eyelets; all eyelets vs speedhooks; captoe vs no captoe; which sole to go with, lined vs unlined, etc. I know there are pics posted all over the place, but it'd be nice to get them all here in one place, and to get updated pics from those of you who have posted in the past.
, @b-ewing, and all you other guys with brown dress SDs, how about new pics? And also, how about some feedback on what you especially like or don't like about your build? What would do the same, or different if you were ordering a pair now?
All you need is this. I really like the antique eyelets too.post #7698 of 871212/16/15 at 10:48pmpost #7699 of 871212/17/15 at 5:57am
I have 2 pairs of White's. One from a few years ago and one from last spring and have no qualms with the quality of either pair.Quote:Originally Posted by daizawaguy
Just stopped by ABC Mart shoe shop in Ginza, now the owner of Whites. They have started to stock them in their flagship store. Prices range from 90,000-120,000Yen ($700-1000). I was so surprised of the quality drop since I last ordered my last Whites 3 years or so ago. Same leathers and soles, but sloppy cutting, stitching and finishing. It was not as if it was random too, just the overall finish was sloppy. I`m off to Hawaii tomorrow, and hope to buy some Whites made from a few years ago, from a stockiest in Waikiki. What a disappointment. ABC Mart though are known for cutting costs and making shoes in places like Cambodia (or Myanmar?) and Sri Lanka, and copies of well known brands too. Any comments on recent Whites quality? This forum seems to have had quite a few mishaps some time back, but this seems to be engrained in their batch in Japan now.
pics are of 2015 pair when new.post #7700 of 871212/17/15 at 6:04amQuote:
💭Very close to my idea of an [ultimate] SD build ... Except, I'd prefer SD last, red lining, unstructured [plain] toes, brown 702 w/ the half-slips, close trim, all antique eyelets, Brown Bison backstays, block heels__ don't particularly like the std [Cuban] heels aesthetic, but I do like the old Viberg Service boots w/ just slight taper to the bottom. So, I'll just have them sanded down by my trusted cobbler🤓
I'm just waiting for my Viberg Hopper delivery before I put in my order. I mentioned "ultimate" as it is the distillation of the Semidress essence & experience, for me ... like an SD 2.0 version = the Brownies ..... also, if done right🙏🏻, these will prolly be my last White's pair, for good.
Edited by IIIrd Icon - 12/17/15 at 6:36ampost #7701 of 871212/17/15 at 6:22am
@linafelt Here is my pair. BHs with commando mini lug half soles and antique eyes and hooks. The only thing I'd do different is go either toe cap or celastic toe box and not both. Having both makes the front a little bulbous like the RW Beckman boots. I was hoping it might work with the dress leather as it is thinner than the smooth leathers.
And a picture of my Brown Smooth BHs, my most comfortable pair..
Edited by mogili222 - 12/17/15 at 7:27ampost #7702 of 871212/17/15 at 9:38amQuote:Originally Posted by mr. burns
ankle bite is going away fast and my ankles are healing so the boots are getting to be pretty much perfect. i can't take them off because they feel so good on my feet, and when i finally take them off i can't stop staring at them because they look better and better each day.
The 'WHITES BITE' as my firefighting buddies call it. I was told the SD wouldn't be as difficult to break in as the lumberjack boots, but you still get the longevity and quality with Whites. They are looking GREAT!! My order is 99% close to yours, and still haven't gotten them yet so good to hear news on your pair are working out.post #7703 of 871212/17/15 at 11:24ampost #7704 of 871212/18/15 at 11:52ampost #7705 of 871212/18/15 at 12:12pmpost #7706 of 871212/18/15 at 3:02pmpost #7707 of 871212/18/15 at 9:40pmpost #7708 of 871212/18/15 at 9:42pmpost #7709 of 871212/18/15 at 10:47pmQuote:
That is a massive bummer! However, it's good that you didn't try to convince yourself that they fit and wind up with boots that didn't work for you.
Jonpost #7710 of 871212/19/15 at 7:31amQuote:
I struggled in returning them, I thought I got a good deal go with the ones that have the best fit. Since I haven't gotten back my custom order from kyle (7 weeks, and counting) I was itching to get something. I ordered a 11 -Size, FF -Width with an extra large gusset/tongue, I think the large gusset is holding it up. I'll post pictures once they arrive and show what Whites does to accommodate an extra wide gusset.
- A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 1 minute ago
- › NIKE Thread 3 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice,... 4 minutes ago
- › Daily CE Musings of Piob 5 minutes ago
- › Critic of my website 5 minutes ago
- › Critic of my website 5 minutes ago
- › Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general 6 minutes ago
- › H.N. White - Handmade English Ties - Official Affiliate Thread 6 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 7 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 7 minutes ago
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...