Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- The Great Cascadia Boot Thread Last post on 2/3/16 at 4:09pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- NIB Gaziano & Girling Canterbury Balmoral Boot Shell Cordovan MH71 UK11.5E $2,200 Last post on 9/13/15 at 2:32am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- ORDER NOW! Viberg for Styleforum GMTO preorders Round1 - 2015 - Ends April 7. Last post on 2/2/16 at 4:15pm in Preorders, Group Made-to-order, trunk shows, and other collaborative efforts
- New Viberg for Styleforum GMTO makeups Last post on 11/22/15 at 4:12pm in Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
Last edited: 8/10/15
- Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.Last edited: Yesterday
- Stocking Stuffers for Your Favorite Denim HeadLast edited: 12/6/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts? - Page 52
Styleforum Top Pickspost #767 of 801210/10/12 at 11:56amQuote:
its a bit antiquated, but send the tracings in by mail, following their tracing instructions. They will then get back to you with sizing advise. Once you get the size, you can then just order over phone or do the build a boot order.post #768 of 801210/10/12 at 6:07pmi think it's just a misunderstanding. you don't size down on the length, but the width.Quote:Quote:Originally Posted by Crane's
CXL doesn't stretch excessively as long as the boots are properly sized. As pointed out these aren't jeans and you don't size down. Oh and whoever said CXL is a lousy leather for boots plain and simply doesn't know what they are talking about at all. About the only leathers that beat it for durability would be shell or kangaroo.Quote:Originally Posted by planetarium
Yeah, for anything other than cosmetic purposes I would advise against chromexcel. I have some Quoddys made with green cxl and it's a great soft leather for a little shoe that molds to your foot, but I wouldn't rely on it for a boot. I sold off my cxl boots after they stretched beyond comfort.post #769 of 801210/10/12 at 6:31pmQuote:
The width is related to the length at least as far as dimensions are concerned so yes if you size down a whole size like what's commonly done with the 1Ks you effectively narrow it as well. Now boots that can be had with different widths in any particular size is a whole 'nother animal. For the most part people make the mistake of buying boots like these in a size that is to small. Comparing how they feel to say a dress shoe is a mistake. A properly fit boot feels much different than a shoe or sneaker. I like the fact that this company has you take dimensions of your feet and then recommends a size or builds them to spec. Reminds me of Limmer boots which IMO is one of the best mountaineering boots money can buy.post #770 of 801210/11/12 at 4:46amQuote:
I`ve found this to always overstate my size as they would rather err on the large size - you should really pin them down about what thickness of socks your will wear and compare sizes to other boots.
I sent my foot tracings to Whites, got recommended a 10D, then a 9 1/2D at Bakers and now I`ve found my size at 9D. Fortunately could sell off my two large pairs, but not a great experience.
Also, I`ve found that Whites Arch support are a real pain if you wear the wrong size, but are the most comfortable in the world if the boots fit correctly. So unlike other boots its not easy to adjust the fit by changing the thickness of the socks.post #771 of 801210/11/12 at 5:23ampost #772 of 801210/11/12 at 5:59ampost #773 of 801210/11/12 at 6:22amQuote:Originally Posted by mudderfudder77
Forgive me if this is outside your scope - but am I better off going through Bakershoe or Whites themselves? Whites return policy seems pretty nebulous, while Bakershoe has 100% satisfaction return - even on the special orders. For a boot I won't be trying on until it arrives on my doorstep - the ability to return it is pretty important to me.
I was told by Kyle at Bakers recently that the boots can be sent back for size alteration but are not returnable for refund, since hey are custom made for you. Just so you know...
Also, I've had very good customer service responses from White's over the past week I have to say, as I've asked questions over email.post #774 of 801210/11/12 at 8:46am
these are my brown cxl White's semi-dress. this photo is from when they were a couple months old. I'll have to take some new pictures soon. I really do love the cxl leather. I think its really quite beautiful. I haven't noticed any stretching or problems with durability. My only complaint is that it is kinda easy to scuff/scratch it. Most of the scuffs or scratches are non permanent though. they just need to have some obenauf's rubbed on em and it disappears.
I do want to get another pair. I really love the dress leather and I'd like to get a bounty hunter in brown dress. If I ever have enough money.post #775 of 801210/11/12 at 11:46ampost #776 of 801210/11/12 at 12:20pmQuote:Quote:
Love the look of both of these boots. Thinking about ordering Semi Dress with #8 Burgundy Chrome Excel for the toe vamp and Medallion toe cap and using the Navy Chrome Excel leather for the uppers. Not sure if that would look gharish though.post #777 of 801210/11/12 at 2:17pmpost #778 of 801210/11/12 at 3:53pmQuote:
can you post a pic of the entire boot, off your foot? I knew it was two tone, but didnt know it was tri-tone! Although now that I look, I guess I t is. Interesting combo, the colors offset just enough to be different, but at first glance they all blend.post #779 of 801210/11/12 at 4:11pm
White's factory very kindly sent me four leather samples (all black) to consider: CXL, Oil Tan ("Smooth" I gather), Dress, and Calfskin. Obviously, they are all great leathers. I have to say that I can see the concern about CXL stretching; the four inch sample I have stretches readily with just a little pulling, much more than the other ones. But of course it is not sewn into a boot with support, lining, etc. The calf seems too thin and shiny for boots for me, which I pretty much already knew. The Dress seems very nice, as everyone says. The Oil Tan is clearly the thickest of all -- really a nice, durable feel to it.
The CXL is the only one of the samples that has a brown leather back; all the others are black on both sides. I like the contrasting brown, which shows up on edges of the boot I notice in pictures of CXL.
So, this gives me more to go on, though I still have lots of thinking to do. Wondering about mixing leathers -- maybe Black Oil Tan for the body of the boot, with CXL or Dress for toe cap and backstay, or something like that. Don't want to get too fancy with my first pair though....
- Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts?
Styleforum Top Picks
- Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... 1 minute ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, Bonafè, Carlos Santos, Saint Crispin's,... 3 minutes ago
- › Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll... 5 minutes ago
- › Balmoral Boot Porn 9 minutes ago
- › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality,... 13 minutes ago
- › Quintessential Knit Ties: Comprehensive Discussion & Appreciation 15 minutes ago
- › RM Williams Chelsea boots 11.5 H BNIB black calf perfect 16 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 19 minutes ago
- › Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread 21 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 29 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › How to clean antique brass hooks and eyelets...
- › How to start cleaning and shining fine...
- › What tools do you need to get burnish your...
- › Using a suede protector spray on regular...
- › Does the Groom Need to Stick Out from the...
- › What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?
- › Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
- › Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Can I Wear a Black Suit to an Evening Wedding?
- › Comparison of shoe products - Lexol vs Saphir...