or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts? - Page 501

post #7501 of 8713
Quote: hey Meso, do you have pics of how these look after 3+ years? and I assume that is brown roughout? what kind of use have you put these thru?
Originally Posted by meso View Post

Bought konadog's semi-dress boots w/single leather sole, roughout toe & british tan uppers (thanks j***!)
Yes, I need to do something about the backyard. Like plant something.

350

350

350

350
 
post #7502 of 8713
yeah, really wish i didn't sell those boots.
post #7503 of 8713
ME TOO!
post #7504 of 8713
Lol!!! Love it, and know the feeling all too well
post #7505 of 8713
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. burns View Post

during the agonizing wait for baker's to get back to me about sizing, i'm starting to wonder if i should switch my leather choice to distressed smooth. i want leather that shows a lot of character and develops and nice patina, but spending this much on boots, i don't want to have to worry about the durability of the leather, especially when i'll use them for work. with the way cxl shows wear more early, does that in turn mean that it'll wear out more quickly?

this is how my red wings look a month or two after cleaning/conditioning.




i clean them and they're good to go for another month or two. just want to make sure cxl can do just as well, or better, than the oro-iginal red wing leather.

I have a pair of bounty hunters in smooth distressed, which I am selling, and it's a very thick, tough leather, ideal for real work. I think it depends on what you mean by "character" and "patina." CXL will certainly show character - prematurely many would say - but it scuffs and marks easily and stretches out a bit. Patina, in my mind, usually comes from polishing regularly, something that you're not going to do with either CXL or smooth distressed. I think if you're going to use your boots for real "work" and they have to endure tough conditions, then you're far better off going with the smooth distressed. If you're looking for something more fashionable, that's going to develop an interesting aesthetic "character" then leather like CXL and others would probably be fine. The only reason I am selling mine is that I realize now that my intention was to find something more for urban wear and the smooth distressed isn't doing it for me in that regard. Other than that, it a great leather.  As for CXL, which I have a couple of boots made in, I know some will disagree with me, saying they put their CXL boots through hell, but most people I know who do serious work and want serious boots don't consider CXL to be a serious work boot leather, lovely though it can be. 

post #7506 of 8713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carson View Post
 

I have a pair of bounty hunters in smooth distressed, which I am selling, and it's a very thick, tough leather, ideal for real work. I think it depends on what you mean by "character" and "patina." CXL will certainly show character - prematurely many would say - but it scuffs and marks easily and stretches out a bit. Patina, in my mind, usually comes from polishing regularly, something that you're not going to do with either CXL or smooth distressed. I think if you're going to use your boots for real "work" and they have to endure tough conditions, then you're far better off going with the smooth distressed. If you're looking for something more fashionable, that's going to develop an interesting aesthetic "character" then leather like CXL and others would probably be fine. The only reason I am selling mine is that I realize now that my intention was to find something more for urban wear and the smooth distressed isn't doing it for me in that regard. Other than that, it a great leather.  As for CXL, which I have a couple of boots made in, I know some will disagree with me, saying they put their CXL boots through hell, but most people I know who do serious work and want serious boots don't consider CXL to be a serious work boot leather, lovely though it can be. 

Roughout make a far better work boot IMO. Much tougher than flesh side. It doesn't cut or nick as easily. Brush the mud off and you're good to go.

post #7507 of 8713
I'm not a fan of how roughout looks and I don't need something quite that tough. Think distressed smooth will be perfect for my needs/taste. Thanks for the advice.
post #7508 of 8713
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. burns View Post

I'm not a fan of how roughout looks and I don't need something quite that tough. Think distressed smooth will be perfect for my needs/taste. Thanks for the advice.

My bad. I thought you said they were for work. I'm in the construction industry. I don't spend a lot of time worrying about my boots patina but if I were buying a pair for after hours, I would get Viberg. Much nicer looking boots IMO.

post #7509 of 8713
I will be using them for work and casual. I've gotten a couple surface cuts and nicks in my red wings, but I mainly take bumps and scuffs here and there from carts/pallets. Nothing as extreme as something like construction or wildland firefighting.
post #7510 of 8713
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. burns View Post

during the agonizing wait for baker's to get back to me about sizing, i'm starting to wonder if i should switch my leather choice to distressed smooth. i want leather that shows a lot of character and develops and nice patina, but spending this much on boots, i don't want to have to worry about the durability of the leather, especially when i'll use them for work. with the way cxl shows wear more early, does that in turn mean that it'll wear out more quickly?

this is how my red wings look a month or two after cleaning/conditioning.




i clean them and they're good to go for another month or two. just want to make sure cxl can do just as well, or better, than the oro-iginal red wing leather.

 

What did you use to get the black dirt stains off?

post #7511 of 8713
I just put a little bit of dove hand soap on a damp rag and washed it off. Definitely need to get myself some saddle soap.
post #7512 of 8713

I think distressed smooth will do the trick for you. It is very tough compared to CXL and I like the look of it. I use my distressed smooth BHs for hiking and outside work and they hold up great. As well, once broken in, distressed smooth leather is remarkably comfortable.

 

Also, I have those same Red Wing chukkas and I like them a lot in terms of comfort, but White's distressed smooth boots will be in a whole other league when it comes to toughness and durability.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. burns View Post

I will be using them for work and casual. I've gotten a couple surface cuts and nicks in my red wings, but I mainly take bumps and scuffs here and there from carts/pallets. Nothing as extreme as something like construction or wildland firefighting.
post #7513 of 8713
Quote:
Originally Posted by spurs61 View Post


Good to hear. I'm sure I'll be glad I made the switch, and from photos I've seen, after a while cxl and distressed smooth look pretty similar. Kyle got back to me about sizing and I put in the order, so the wait begins today. Looks like I'm EE width. No wonder the breakin for my D width 3140s was so brutal.
post #7514 of 8713
I'm going to order new pair of SD, and would like to have quite similar color to alden ravello. Any leather is reccommendable rather than sienna wb?
post #7515 of 8713

Sometimes you see a build that really gets a certain look just right.  I just came across these on Eastwestapparel's site, and I think the description is exactly right, that it catches perfectly that "old school hobnail look."

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90

 

SD on the c461 last, double leather sole, black dress leather.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts?