or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts? - Page 499

post #7471 of 8721
Quote:
Originally Posted by petersim View Post
 

Sure, what kind of pics would you like?  I'll try to take more in the morning.  I'm not sure on the price, I just ordered through Bakers website.  I've never had a smokejumper with a liner but man these feel so nice.  So glad I got the liner.  

post #7472 of 8721
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinsweethome View Post
 


motojobo,  the cedar chest is simply a clean up probably 50 years old, I actually got it free.  the wood shelves are stock Bed Bath and Beyond items $40.   3 shelves 3 shoes each.  I cut one down.  they lift out of the cabinet for access to the bottom row.  I can remove the polishing piece and close the lid if I wish.  a welder made it and I coated the inside of the metal with "Plastic Dip"  to protect the wood as it goes over the edge of the cabinet , painted the raw steel and finally put the rubber on to stabilize the shoe as I buff it..there is even a small drawer in the bottom of the cabinet for my laces collection

 

Thanks Dave! I've been thinking about how to set up something like this for some time. Your pics and explanation will help me get something done soon. Appreciate it.

post #7473 of 8721
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7018 View Post
 

Sure, what kind of pics would you like?  I'll try to take more in the morning.  I'm not sure on the price, I just ordered through Bakers website.  I've never had a smokejumper with a liner but man these feel so nice.  So glad I got the liner.  

just some in brighter lighting, maybe sunlight? just want to make sure the color combo is what i'm envisioning.

 

and the biggest reason i am leaning toward a smooth upper [and away from all roughout] IS because i wanted a lined upper. i know the smooth side of roughout is kind of like a lining, but it's not as soft. all roughout boots look great, but man, the lining.....

post #7474 of 8721
Quote:
Originally Posted by petersim View Post

just some in brighter lighting, maybe sunlight? just want to make sure the color combo is what i'm envisioning.

and the biggest reason i am leaning toward a smooth upper [and away from all roughout] IS because i wanted a lined upper. i know the smooth side of roughout is kind of like a lining, but it's not as soft. all roughout boots look great, but man, the lining.....

pretty sure lining is not charged if you get cxl. when doing my build with natural cxl, lining wasn't an extra charge.
post #7475 of 8721
Quote:
Originally Posted by petersim View Post
 

just some in brighter lighting, maybe sunlight? just want to make sure the color combo is what i'm envisioning.

 

and the biggest reason i am leaning toward a smooth upper [and away from all roughout] IS because i wanted a lined upper. i know the smooth side of roughout is kind of like a lining, but it's not as soft. all roughout boots look great, but man, the lining.....

You know that you can get a roughout boot lined...right?

post #7476 of 8721

Sorry these pics are in some crappy light but here you go

 

 

 

post #7477 of 8721

Here is my White's order, very excited! Unfortunately I will have to wait about a month. 

 

White's Bounty Hunter 6”
Leather: DISTRESSED SMOOTH
Celastic Toe Box: NONE (soft toe)

LOGO: NONE 

Height: 6"
Upper (Shaft) Leather : Distressed Smooth
Sole Trim: Standard Trim (Double row welt)
Top: Cut
Back Stay Leather: Distressed Smooth (all same leather)
NO Pull Loop: None 
Eyelet Color: Antique
Eyelet Configuration : Hook and top 3 Eyelet 
Lace Design: Plain Toe
Lace: Leather
False Tongue: YES
Sole: Vibram 269

Heel Shape: Standard 

Heel Height: Standard
Last: Semi Dress 
Midsole: Single 
Midsole/Edge Color: Distressed Smooth 
Size - Length: 11
Size - Width: FF

Please make with extra large gusset/tongue 

 

 

Great forum, really enjoyed reading through 500 pages of BOOT information. 

 

See yea soon!

post #7478 of 8721
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathpah View Post
 

You know that you can get a roughout boot lined...right?

sure. but getting a lining when you already have a smooth inside [like the inside of roughout] seems redundant. still contemplating it, but i also wanted to get a softer upper leather [for breakin comfort] and didn't know how a brown cxl roughout upper would look with a brown oil roughout toe vamp.

 

so if i did get all brown oil roughout...hmmm...didn't you [inadvertently] get your brown oil boots lined? are they REALLY stiff? how was the break-in, or is it still ongoing? even tho the lining probably adds stiffness, do you think it makes the break-in and general wear less painful? these are not going to be REAL work-boots [mainly light off-roading], so I didn't want to walk around like Frankenstein in them [did you guys get the Halloween metaphor??].

post #7479 of 8721
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. burns View Post


pretty sure lining is not charged if you get cxl. when doing my build with natural cxl, lining wasn't an extra charge.

that would be great, but if you look in Baker's website, their stock Semi-Dress is $410 while their stock cxl Semi-Dress is $450. I thought the additional charge was to cover the lining, which they they insist on for cxl. then again, "7018's" spec sheet did not list an up-charge for lining on his cxl's, which supports your point. guess a call to Baker's is in order.

post #7480 of 8721
Quote: thanks!! i'm really liking that brown cxl/brown oil roughout combo. then again there is this all roughout farmer-rancher I found, which keeps teasing me!! why can't I be rich????

 

Originally Posted by 7018 View Post
 

Sorry these pics are in some crappy light but here you go

 

 

 

post #7481 of 8721
Quote:
Originally Posted by petersim View Post
 

sure. but getting a lining when you already have a smooth inside [like the inside of roughout] seems redundant. still contemplating it, but i also wanted to get a softer upper leather [for breakin comfort] and didn't know how a brown cxl roughout upper would look with a brown oil roughout toe vamp.

 

so if i did get all brown oil roughout...hmmm...didn't you [inadvertently] get your brown oil boots lined? are they REALLY stiff? how was the break-in, or is it still ongoing? even tho the lining probably adds stiffness, do you think it makes the break-in and general wear less painful? these are not going to be REAL work-boots [mainly light off-roading], so I didn't want to walk around like Frankenstein in them [did you guys get the Halloween metaphor??].

Ha!  I did, indeed...although mine were actually Smooth Distressed.  In truth, I don't think that the lining makes the break-in worse at all...and it *might* even make it a little better.

 

The break-in for most of my BHs weren't bad at all, and the pair that I've that most trouble with has been the Distressed Roughout pair that I have, which is the only unlined pair that I own.  The real hotspot in those has been at the top of my foot where it meets the bottom of my shin, and those are unlined.  I don't think lining them would make any difference, as the reason for that being a hotspot is purely because of the thickness/toughness of the leather (I say that as a good thing).  Once broken in, they'll be amazing, just like the rest of my BHs that I own.

 

I think if you're lusting after soft leather lining, go for it.  I'm not sure how much difference the lining makes in general...it *might* decrease the creasing and it *might* make the boots a bit warmer and it *might* make the boots a bit softer...but I don't find too much difference either way.  I'll have a better comparison once I receive my next pair of BHs, which are 6" BHs in unlined Brown Dress, and I already own 9" BHs in lined Brown Dress.  

 

Basically, I wouldn't overthink it.  If you think you want them lined, go for it, and don't look back.  You'll love them either way.

post #7482 of 8721
Baker's said that leather like chrome excel comes lined in the vamp already, but if you get liner, they put it in the upper too and they recommend it to prevent premature stretching.
post #7483 of 8721

My only unlined White's are my 6" brown dress BHs. I also have a lined pair of brown dress SDs. There is only a slight difference between them in terms of feel. The unlined pair is just a bit more supple and breathable. I wore them a lot more in the summer than my other boots. But the difference isn't major. I'm glad to have lined my distressed smooth BHs. In the end, I agree with cathpah that you'll be happy either way, lined or unlined.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by cathpah View Post
 

Ha!  I did, indeed...although mine were actually Smooth Distressed.  In truth, I don't think that the lining makes the break-in worse at all...and it *might* even make it a little better.

 

The break-in for most of my BHs weren't bad at all, and the pair that I've that most trouble with has been the Distressed Roughout pair that I have, which is the only unlined pair that I own.  The real hotspot in those has been at the top of my foot where it meets the bottom of my shin, and those are unlined.  I don't think lining them would make any difference, as the reason for that being a hotspot is purely because of the thickness/toughness of the leather (I say that as a good thing).  Once broken in, they'll be amazing, just like the rest of my BHs that I own.

 

I think if you're lusting after soft leather lining, go for it.  I'm not sure how much difference the lining makes in general...it *might* decrease the creasing and it *might* make the boots a bit warmer and it *might* make the boots a bit softer...but I don't find too much difference either way.  I'll have a better comparison once I receive my next pair of BHs, which are 6" BHs in unlined Brown Dress, and I already own 9" BHs in lined Brown Dress.  

 

Basically, I wouldn't overthink it.  If you think you want them lined, go for it, and don't look back.  You'll love them either way.

post #7484 of 8721
Any sole choice or any config makes boots more driving friendly? My full lug SJ is difficult to drive and heel stack has noticable damage.
post #7485 of 8721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royteane View Post

Any sole choice or any config makes boots more driving friendly? My full lug SJ is difficult to drive and heel stack has noticable damage.

You could probably do a Vibram Christy sole, but you'd then get significantly less of an arch, which--for me--is one of the main reasons I buy White's.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts?