And drag. Don't treat the block vs cuban heel as an aesthetic choice, White's has spent 100+ years fine tuning the fit on these boots, don't move the heel backwards by an inch on a whim.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- The Great Cascadia Boot Thread Last post on 7/31/15 at 10:19am in Streetwear and Denim
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- NIB Gaziano & Girling Canterbury Balmoral Boot Shell Cordovan MH71 UK11.5E $2,200 Last post on 8/4/15 at 11:58pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- ORDER NOW! Viberg for Styleforum GMTO preorders Round1 - 2015 - Ends April 7. Last post on Yesterday at 4:22 pm in Preorders, Group Made-to-order, trunk shows, and other collaborative efforts
- New Viberg for Styleforum GMTO makeups Last post on 5/2/15 at 9:40pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts? - Page 50
Styleforum Top Picks
Wise, very wise.
the "drag" is not so pronounced on a lowered block..
however, quite honestly, the Cuban walks more comfortably & gives a more normal, solid gait.
'agree that the boots were originally designed/engineered for the Cuban__ "arc-ease" is optimized, imo.
actually, i only tried the block to personally experience the difference__ the plan was to get them tapered once i re-heel
Edited by IIIrd Icon - 10/8/12 at 10:37am
In fact, I went ahead and ordered a new pair myself.
With my first order, I called White's directly. This order I went through Baker's.
I couldn't resist the calling of the Natural Chromexcel leather by Horween.
There are only a few sample shots from previous boots made with this leather from Whites, but it seems very promising.
From what photos are available online from some other models, it appears to age very, very well.
My new setup:
Bounty Hunter - 6" smoke jumper styling on a semi dress last.
Leather: As above, entire boot Natural Chromexcel with a cream liner.
Single celastic toe.
Natural color, standard cuban heel, normal height.
Single midsole with a Vibram 269.
Antique eyes with hooks.
No toe box.
For sizing, I had Kyle confirm my previous tracing at Whites was setup as a 10.5 D. So we are using the same sizing, which was spot on with the last boots( SD, brown dress leather, single leather sole, block heel 1/4" lowered)
A couple things I am curious about:
How will the Chromexcel leather stretch? How will I like the Vibram 269 sole compared to my previous single leather sole? Will the chromexcel leather feel any different on my feet than my previous SD brown dress leather? How will the leather look after some time, and some Obenaufs?
Can't wait to find out.
Current wait time is about 8-10 weeks. Which is twice as long as it was when I originally ordered in Jan '11.
However, if the end result is the same as the last boots, I dont think I will care about the wait.
I can say that chromexcel leather has a lot of potential to stretch, so it is advantageous to have a snug fit from the get go. Additionally, don't treat the leather right away, the finish will be more than enough to protect it for a good time while it develops your unique patina.
Sounds like a great makeup and I look forward to pics!
Sorry if this has already been answered - but I looked through a significant portion of this thread and didn't see anything about size limitations. I had never heard of White's boots until seeing this thread, and I absolutely love the look of them. I wear a size 16 in dress shoes (usually a 17 in sneakers) and have a hell of a time finding good looking boots or shoes.
Does anyone know if Whites will make a size 16? Does anyone happen to know if their lasts go up to a 16/17? I'll give them a call, but thought I'd just see if I have any fellow big-footed friends here.
Yeah, for anything other than cosmetic purposes I would advise against chromexcel. I have some Quoddys made with green cxl and it's a great soft leather for a little shoe that molds to your foot, but I wouldn't rely on it for a boot. I sold off my cxl boots after they stretched beyond comfort.
I however, still went with the same sizing as the last pair of SD boots I ordered because they fit so well.
Plus, I hand't planned on using them for intense purposes. Mostly style. That Natural Chromexcel just looks so amazing.
I'm hoping the leather lining and celastic toe box will prevent the leather from stretching so much that the boot is unusable ever.
The only other picture of natural chromexcel Whites, besides the Hollows Leather boots, are on Baker's Facebook page.
He has two other boots made with Natural Chromexcel aside from the aforementioned boot.
Looks promising for a future patina.
Anyone have any thoughts about the leather liner, celastic toe and the chromexcel leather stretching excessively?
- Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts?
Styleforum Top Picks
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 27 seconds ago
- › Yanko - Made In Spain Shoes 36 seconds ago
- › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Theard 4 minutes ago
- › Show us how you roll in Engineered Garments 5 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 9 minutes ago
- › Yellow Hook Necktie Appreciation Thread 14 minutes ago
- › John Elliott + Co - official affiliate thread 16 minutes ago
- › Australian Members 18 minutes ago
- › Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)? 19 minutes ago
- › Stephan Schneider. You'll Always Find Me In The Kitchen At Parties. 19 minutes ago
- › Human Scales Braided Dark Brown Belt by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Carlos Red Stripe Sweater by Mrvaerk
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Announcing the winner of the Kent Wang...
- › Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
- › Mohair: A Little-Known Hot-Weather Cloth
- › The Myth of the Nice Guy: Baseball’s...
- › Three Gin Cocktails for Summertime
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015