And drag. Don't treat the block vs cuban heel as an aesthetic choice, White's has spent 100+ years fine tuning the fit on these boots, don't move the heel backwards by an inch on a whim.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- The Great Cascadia Boot Thread Last post on 4/5/16 at 9:15am in Streetwear and Denim
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- NIB Gaziano & Girling Canterbury Balmoral Boot Shell Cordovan MH71 UK11.5E $2,200 Last post on 9/13/15 at 2:32am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- ORDER NOW! Viberg for Styleforum GMTO preorders Round1 - 2015 - Ends April 7. Last post on 2/2/16 at 4:15pm in Preorders, Group Made-to-order, trunk shows, and other collaborative efforts
- New Viberg for Styleforum GMTO makeups Last post on 11/22/15 at 4:12pm in Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
Last edited: 8/10/15
- Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.Last edited: 2/9/16
- Stocking Stuffers for Your Favorite Denim HeadLast edited: 12/6/15
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Grant Stone
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts? - Page 50post #736 of 819910/7/12 at 7:41ampost #737 of 819910/7/12 at 10:10ampost #738 of 819910/7/12 at 7:49pmpost #739 of 819910/7/12 at 7:50pmpost #740 of 819910/7/12 at 7:55pmpost #741 of 819910/7/12 at 8:10pmQuote:
Wise, very wise.post #742 of 819910/8/12 at 8:42am'got standard [Cuban] heels on my SJs & Packers__ the SDs are on block heels w/c were 1/4" lowered.
the "drag" is not so pronounced on a lowered block..
however, quite honestly, the Cuban walks more comfortably & gives a more normal, solid gait.
'agree that the boots were originally designed/engineered for the Cuban__ "arc-ease" is optimized, imo.
actually, i only tried the block to personally experience the difference__ the plan was to get them tapered once i re-heel
Edited by IIIrd Icon - 10/8/12 at 10:37ampost #743 of 819910/8/12 at 12:08pmThread StarterSo a year and a half after starting this page, I think we have accumulated a lot of great information for everyone to rely on when creating custom White's Boots.
In fact, I went ahead and ordered a new pair myself.
With my first order, I called White's directly. This order I went through Baker's.
I couldn't resist the calling of the Natural Chromexcel leather by Horween.
There are only a few sample shots from previous boots made with this leather from Whites, but it seems very promising.
From what photos are available online from some other models, it appears to age very, very well.
My new setup:
Bounty Hunter - 6" smoke jumper styling on a semi dress last.
Leather: As above, entire boot Natural Chromexcel with a cream liner.
Single celastic toe.
Natural color, standard cuban heel, normal height.
Single midsole with a Vibram 269.
Antique eyes with hooks.
No toe box.
For sizing, I had Kyle confirm my previous tracing at Whites was setup as a 10.5 D. So we are using the same sizing, which was spot on with the last boots( SD, brown dress leather, single leather sole, block heel 1/4" lowered)
A couple things I am curious about:
How will the Chromexcel leather stretch? How will I like the Vibram 269 sole compared to my previous single leather sole? Will the chromexcel leather feel any different on my feet than my previous SD brown dress leather? How will the leather look after some time, and some Obenaufs?
Can't wait to find out.
Current wait time is about 8-10 weeks. Which is twice as long as it was when I originally ordered in Jan '11.
However, if the end result is the same as the last boots, I dont think I will care about the wait.post #744 of 819910/8/12 at 1:15pm
I can say that chromexcel leather has a lot of potential to stretch, so it is advantageous to have a snug fit from the get go. Additionally, don't treat the leather right away, the finish will be more than enough to protect it for a good time while it develops your unique patina.
Sounds like a great makeup and I look forward to pics!post #745 of 819910/8/12 at 1:21pmpost #746 of 819910/8/12 at 1:30pm
Sorry if this has already been answered - but I looked through a significant portion of this thread and didn't see anything about size limitations. I had never heard of White's boots until seeing this thread, and I absolutely love the look of them. I wear a size 16 in dress shoes (usually a 17 in sneakers) and have a hell of a time finding good looking boots or shoes.
Does anyone know if Whites will make a size 16? Does anyone happen to know if their lasts go up to a 16/17? I'll give them a call, but thought I'd just see if I have any fellow big-footed friends here.post #747 of 819910/8/12 at 2:32pmpost #748 of 819910/8/12 at 2:42pmpost #749 of 819910/8/12 at 6:37pm
Yeah, for anything other than cosmetic purposes I would advise against chromexcel. I have some Quoddys made with green cxl and it's a great soft leather for a little shoe that molds to your foot, but I wouldn't rely on it for a boot. I sold off my cxl boots after they stretched beyond comfort.post #750 of 819910/8/12 at 8:21pmThread StarterYeah I assumed the chromexcel would stretch.
I however, still went with the same sizing as the last pair of SD boots I ordered because they fit so well.
Plus, I hand't planned on using them for intense purposes. Mostly style. That Natural Chromexcel just looks so amazing.
I'm hoping the leather lining and celastic toe box will prevent the leather from stretching so much that the boot is unusable ever.
The only other picture of natural chromexcel Whites, besides the Hollows Leather boots, are on Baker's Facebook page.
He has two other boots made with Natural Chromexcel aside from the aforementioned boot.
Looks promising for a future patina.
Anyone have any thoughts about the leather liner, celastic toe and the chromexcel leather stretching excessively?
- Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 1 minute ago
- › John Lobb Appreciation Thread 1 minute ago
- › Raw Ingredient and Mise en Place porn thread. 2 minutes ago
- › LuxeSwap - Official Affiliate Thread 3 minutes ago
- › I think I hate San Francisco. 8 minutes ago
- › Crockett & Jones MTO Central 10 minutes ago
- › http://lioredrey.wix.com/brands 11 minutes ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 12 minutes ago
- › Enzo Bonafe Handmade Shoes. 16 minutes ago
- › H.N. White - Handmade English Ties - Official Affiliate Thread 16 minutes ago
- › Sage de Cret Green Jacquard Wool Linen Blazer by robxznyc
- › Gerani Corduroy Slim Straight Pants Yellow by robxznyc
- › Luigi Bianchi Rough Heavy Cotton Twill Blazer Yellow by robxznyc
- › Sage de Cret Patchwork Wool Bomber Jacket by robxznyc
- › WLG by Giorgio Brato Brown Nubuck Bomber Leather Jacket by robxznyc
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding
- › What to Wear to (Almost) Any Wedding
- › Ron Rider's comprehensive Shoe Care Guide
- › AE fit & sizing help
- › 5 of the best Groomsmen’s gifts