or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts? - Page 292

post #4366 of 5037

Just checked out some of Brian's resole jobs...WOW, Very nice work!


Edited by climbinglife - 7/20/14 at 3:54am
post #4367 of 5037
Deleted
post #4368 of 5037
Not to further derail the White's thread, but I have also seen a lot of Brian's work, and he doesn't "resole" your boots as much as he builds you an entire new pair of boots using your old uppers. He does do excellent work!
post #4369 of 5037

I agree that those prices are pretty steep, but as Andy B. says you are getting almost a complete rebuilt, with what looks like the highest quality of materials.  That's gotta be a lot of hands-on labor, and with the cost of material I figure he's not making more than 15 or 20 bucks an hour.  Definitely not a rip off. 

 

If I had a pair of really high quality boots that I loved and planned to wear for another 10 or 15 years it'd be worth it to me.  But for my OSB Trenches it's probably not.  I know that OSB will resole for about $140. They only offer flat leather or Dainite, but Dainite should do the trick.  (As much as I'd love some Cat's Paws or cord soles...)

post #4370 of 5037

That is what is great about the USA, people can/will/do hype up anything and some people will go for it. It never lasts forever, just ask Bernie M. :fonz:

 

That particular guy makes B Nelson in NY look REAL CHEAP. B Nelson does the exact same or better quality repair or rebuild work, in the Worlds largest most wealthy demographic market, the work takes 14-18 days, and they are rated on top for extremely high quality work on 4-5K a pair shoes and boots. They even offer FREE mailers, for shipping items in for the work. (What does Homer Simpson say?)

 

Extremely high quality work is also done by Wesco they charge 225 for complete rebuild, same for Whites 210, and Drews 200s.

 

Someone once told me, a long time ago, about a fool and their money. I listened and learned, some are temporarily deaf.:D 

post #4371 of 5037
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy b. View Post

Not to further derail the White's thread, but I have also seen a lot of Brian's work, and he doesn't "resole" your boots as much as he builds you an entire new pair of boots using your old uppers. He does do excellent work!

My point exactly. Thank you. I apologize to all, I should have PM'ed linafelt with my info and not derailed the thread or awoke the sleeping troll. Sorry, folks.
Edited by westie187 - 7/20/14 at 7:11am
post #4372 of 5037
Quote:
Originally Posted by westie187 View Post


My point exactly. Thank you. I apologize to all, I should have PM'ed linafelt with my info and not derailed the thread or awoke the sleeping troll. Sorry, folks.


I appreciate trolls pointing out massive potholes in the road of life to avoid......:crackup:

post #4373 of 5037
Quote:
agree that those prices are pretty steep, but as Andy B. says you are getting almost a complete rebuilt, with what looks like the highest quality of materials.  That's gotta be a lot of hands-on labor, and with the cost of material I figure he's not making more than 15 or 20 bucks an hour.  Definitely not a rip off. 

You can almost buy new white's for that price though.

 

If you are an average Joe, and not depending on your boots for your real safety, or if your boots weren't around a 1000 dollars or more new, what's the point?

 

I guess the point is to enjoy paying the money for something more exclusive or to pay more money because the product, though it is beyond overkill, just makes you feel good to have. While I certainly won't "waste" money like that, I think it's a good way to inject money and stimulus into the economy.

 

I've never had a problem with people making a lot of money. I only object to them not spending it, and this seems like a great way to get capitol back into circulation. And if it makes people feel good, have at it!

post #4374 of 5037
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieBailie View Post
 

That is what is great about the USA, people can/will/do hype up anything and some people will go for it. It never lasts forever, just ask Bernie M. :fonz:

 

That particular guy makes B Nelson in NY look REAL CHEAP. B Nelson does the exact same or better quality repair or rebuild work, in the Worlds largest most wealthy demographic market, the work takes 14-18 days, and they are rated on top for extremely high quality work on 4-5K a pair shoes and boots. They even offer FREE mailers, for shipping items in for the work. (What does Homer Simpson say?)

 

Extremely high quality work is also done by Wesco they charge 225 for complete rebuild, same for Whites 210, and Drews 200s.

 

Someone once told me, a long time ago, about a fool and their money. I listened and learned, some are temporarily deaf.:D 

Jeez...:brick: Deleted, except to say

White's charged me 250 plus tax for a "full"rebuild.

post #4375 of 5037

B Nelson does not hold customers hands when it rains, or if they have a hang nail. They supply a  needed service to a large population in a very fast courteous manner, for NY.. Those who need/want/demand "special" attention go elsewhere and should/do pay more. No big deal.

 

Understanding the facts and alternatives makes for wise decisions.

 

You have to know NY and understand a well established long standing shop like B Nelsons has workers/owners/most customers from NY.  They deal just like most other NY businesses, except the alternate lifestyle boutiques that open up, then close down, as fast as a Walmart front door.

 

PS I do not use B Nelson just know/use a shoe maker/cobbler that worked for them for 15 years.

post #4376 of 5037

What is it about the footwear threads at sf? Like many folks, I spend a disproportionate amount of my sf time at the various footwear threads, EG, C&J, Alden, AE, Whites, RW, OSB, shoecare, RMW and even the Wolverine 1K thread a few yrs ago. It seems that these threads attract many of the same people (myself included) and are some of the most informative, pleasant threads around. However, all it takes is one individual to throw a wrench into the works and they can implode after years of civil discussion.

 

I tend to lurk more than anything but it is amazing how fragile the footwear ecosystem can be :)


Edited by patrick_b - 7/20/14 at 5:34pm
post #4377 of 5037
It's literally just one dude
post #4378 of 5037
Can we group petition one of the mods to get rid of him?
post #4379 of 5037
Quote:
Originally Posted by b-ewing View Post

It's literally just one dude

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post

Can we group petition one of the mods to get rid of him?

 

One dude completely derailed the Wolverine 1K and OSB threads as well. I guess that's all it takes...

post #4380 of 5037
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post

Can we group petition one of the mods to get rid of him?

A bunch of posts have already been flagged, so the mods are watching the thread, but I fear its not enough. It would be great if they can ban him, but like Patrick said, one person is enough to wreck a good, informative thread.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts?