Yeah, sounds like a good plan actually, both for looks and function.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- The Great Cascadia Boot Thread Last post on 4/5/16 at 9:15am in Streetwear and Denim
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- NIB Gaziano & Girling Canterbury Balmoral Boot Shell Cordovan MH71 UK11.5E $2,200 Last post on 9/13/15 at 2:32am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- ORDER NOW! Viberg for Styleforum GMTO preorders Round1 - 2015 - Ends April 7. Last post on 2/2/16 at 4:15pm in Preorders, Group Made-to-order, trunk shows, and other collaborative efforts
- New Viberg for Styleforum GMTO makeups Last post on 6/6/16 at 1:28pm in Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
Last edited: 8/10/15
- A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOsLast edited: 5/24/16
- Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.Last edited: 2/9/16
- Stocking Stuffers for Your Favorite Denim HeadLast edited: 12/6/15
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts? - Page 248post #3706 of 85265/11/14 at 9:17ampost #3707 of 85265/12/14 at 3:26pmI think it's a good idea to attain a shine. The only issue is that as time goes on they will start to look quite different. The chrome excel gets that worn out look, while the dress keeps it's smartness. The other thing is that you'd have to think if they take the same polishes or creams. Not sure on this one. All I'm saying is that after a few years of wear you will have to imagine what they could look like. But it's always fun to experiment with custom orders and even more fun to live with them. But the odd combination can lead to regret. Not talking specifically of your combination - but generally. Good luck though.post #3708 of 85265/13/14 at 5:41amQuote:I think that a good candidate for "most bang for your buck boots" might be the Chippewa engineer boot, currently marketed at LL Bean as the Katahdin iron works boot. Now selling for $210.
I have to say, I picked up a pair of Chippewa Homestead boots, in black rough out, for 150 on sale. On Waikiki Beach, of all places, while on business last week.
I also will say that the quality of the Chipps are FAR above the quality of the Wolverine 1Ks I have. For 150, a person would be crazy NOT to buy Chippewa. Comfortable right out of the box.
They are not nearly as robust as a pair of Whites, but at a third of the price, you can't go wrong to add them to the rotation.post #3709 of 85265/14/14 at 6:49amQuote:
I know this is the White's forum, and we probably don't need to extend the Chippewa conversation much further here, but I will put in my final 2 cents worth: I really think the Katahdin is a strong boot. If it is the same as my older Chippewa engineers, which I am pretty sure it is. Again, I got a good 10 years of wear out of those, with two re-heelings, before the leather started to split and I decided to move on. They are a really tough, substantial boot, and while nothing fancy I like their classic "surveyor boot" look. The leather wore really nicely, getting progressively darker and smoother over about the first five years, until it finally looked worn in; but then still had several years of wear left.
I ordered not long ago a pair of the newer Homesteads to try out, and also tried on a pair of the new plain toe service boots at the store, and while both seemed fine they did not seem up to the level of my old engineers. Just a bit lighter, but also the last is different. The engineers/Katahdin are built on a classic Munson service boot last with lots of room in the toe; whereas the new Chippewas are more narrow and less roomy overall. I posted a pic on the Chippewa forum of my old boot next to the new one (same size), just to show the slight difference. I'll include it here in case anyone is interested.
Now, back to White's! Still waiting on my new SJs, which were reordered to replace the messed up horsehide SDs I got several weeks ago. Kyle said since they were replacing boots they made a mistake on that White's would probably do it much quicker than normal, maybe 3 to 4 weeks. Right now it's coming up on 5 weeks -- so should be soon...post #3710 of 85265/19/14 at 10:49pmpost #3711 of 85265/20/14 at 5:50ampost #3712 of 85265/20/14 at 11:54ampost #3713 of 85265/20/14 at 12:31pmpost #3714 of 85265/20/14 at 3:46pmQuote:
those are beauts! Did they come with those laces?post #3715 of 85265/20/14 at 3:55pm
Yeah, it came with two pairs. . .they are the thickest leather boot laces I have ever used, and feel like they will last forever. This was my first White's MTO, and I am already planning my second. Everything on this boot feels like it can outlast me.post #3716 of 85265/20/14 at 6:11pmQuote:Originally Posted by phantomx48
Alright, here are the Navy CXL monsters, just in time for Cali summer, haha. But seriously, these are so comfortable, I might actually consider wearing them despite the heat. In my hands exactly 21 days after ordering, pretty remarkable!
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Nice boots..What are your build specs? Is that a double midsole I see?post #3717 of 85265/21/14 at 8:49ampost #3718 of 85265/21/14 at 8:51ampost #3719 of 85265/21/14 at 8:53ampost #3720 of 85265/21/14 at 8:58am
Just look at the crap inside the boots:
To top it all off, the idiots took all day to fix them and put the free shipping FedEx 2nd day label right on top of the new whites boot box so I cannot sell them on ebay as new in the box and ask more than they cost new.
Anyone got the AG office number in WA state so I can bitch about them? These people should be put out of business.
Edited by LouieBailie - 5/21/14 at 9:28am
- A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 3 minutes ago
- › English Challis sailboat tie 11 minutes ago
- › Viberg Boots 13 minutes ago
- › NWOT Luigi Bianch Mantova 100% cashmere navy overcoat 54 52 13 minutes ago
- › FS: AUGUST CARLO BARBERA OFFERS, LINEN,MOHAIR,CASHMERE ETC 13 minutes ago
- › Sartoriale = Official Affiliate Vendor thread 17 minutes ago
- › Creepy Sartorial Images 18 minutes ago
- › Bespoke shoes in UK - a more affordable option? 26 minutes ago
- › Why Hillary will be the next POTUS 29 minutes ago
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 38 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...