Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- The Great Cascadia Boot Thread Last post on 4/5/16 at 9:15am in Streetwear and Denim
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- NIB Gaziano & Girling Canterbury Balmoral Boot Shell Cordovan MH71 UK11.5E $2,200 Last post on 9/13/15 at 2:32am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- ORDER NOW! Viberg for Styleforum GMTO preorders Round1 - 2015 - Ends April 7. Last post on 2/2/16 at 4:15pm in Preorders, Group Made-to-order, trunk shows, and other collaborative efforts
- New Viberg for Styleforum GMTO makeups Last post on 6/6/16 at 1:28pm in Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
Last edited: 8/10/15
- A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOsLast edited: 5/24/16
- Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.Last edited: 2/9/16
- Stocking Stuffers for Your Favorite Denim HeadLast edited: 12/6/15
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts? - Page 243post #3632 of 85375/6/14 at 3:06ampost #3633 of 85375/6/14 at 3:11am
The only issue I`ve got there - is it off centre? I mean, is the top at the right position, and the heel just not trimmed enough, or is it part of a bigger issue? Sorry, not scaring anyone, but do think it should be sent back.Also, its only by Whites having seen their work returned will the point be taken. And that brings in a question - are their ebay boots rejects of any sort?post #3634 of 85375/6/14 at 7:43amQuote:
Thank you... I am travelling now and I can get new pictures only after the 12th of this month.Quote:Originally Posted by rutabaga
Looks kind of like this block heel from earlier in the thread.Quote:Originally Posted by daizawaguy
Whites does tend to have shoddy finishes for their block heels. That's part if the reason I got mine redone in the photos recently. Not sure what it is, but should not be they way. Given you have 2 pairs perhaps you can return one and get it seem to. A bummer I know, but best sorted out in long term. It could be that the block does not require much experience so that the newer artisans get that job. In any case, Whites should realize its in their best interests for this not to happen.Quote:Originally Posted by trvlr472
I've got a block heel on my Classic Work Boots and it sticks out slightly which i can live with. I would be ticked off if mine had a shelf like that. That's ridiculous on a pair of boots as expensive as White's. It happens and that's because they are hand made but it should be fixed. My opinion is that if it sticks out past the leather at all it's unsatisfactory.Quote:Quote:Quote:Quote:Originally Posted by daizawaguy
The only issue I`ve got there - is it off centre? I mean, is the top at the right position, and the heel just not trimmed enough, or is it part of a bigger issue? Sorry, not scaring anyone, but do think it should be sent back.Also, its only by Whites having seen their work returned will the point be taken. And that brings in a question - are their ebay boots rejects of any sort?
It is the same with both pairs of boots. The shelves on the back extend like half an inch and the sides are not trimmed the same on each boot which makes the boot appear off center on the sole. I would expect any of the sole on the heel not to go past the leather of the boot as there is no stitching there. Aside from the boots not looking very good, I am also afraid I will be tripping on stairs with the shelves getting caught on the stairs. I will contact Bakers once I get back and see what could be done..post #3635 of 85375/6/14 at 5:36pmpost #3636 of 85375/6/14 at 5:40pmpost #3637 of 85375/6/14 at 5:53pmpost #3638 of 85375/6/14 at 5:59pmQuote:Originally Posted by hollowsleather
When you go to a century-old maker and ask them to do precisely the opposite of their signature build, don't be surprised when it turns out funky. White's are not meant to have block heels.
The style, fit, and function are all built to have cuban/tapered/curved heels.
If that is the case, I think Whites should not offer it as an option if they cannot maintain the same standards as their signature heels. And keep that standard on all the pairs they build..post #3639 of 85375/6/14 at 6:09pmpost #3640 of 85375/6/14 at 6:13pmI'm sure that White's/Baker will back up their quality and trim the heel if requested, but that doesn't change the fact that you got a funky heel because the guy who made your boots has made a thousand Smoke Jumpers, and probably 5 fashion boots with this weird heel request.
It's like going to a fancy steakhouse and ordering well done. Of course they'll cook your steak well done, because people won't stop asking for it, but you're going to get something scraped off the back of the grill, and lose the chef's respect. It's a two-way street. If you want your maker's best, you need to order your maker's specialty.post #3641 of 85375/6/14 at 6:30pm
Contact White's and ask for Jennifer. Explain what you do not like or want changed and she will take care of it. No charge.
I just sent back a custom ordered pair of 6 inch Smoke Jumpers, double mid soles, double leather soles, block heels made out of dark brown Water Buffalo boots to have the full tongues stretched out and the all the brass hooks replaced with eyelets. The heels were and are perfect. No big deal....
It does not make any difference if they have the sissy heels or block heels custom stuff sometimes requires modifying to make them suite ones needs/wants/requirements. NBDpost #3642 of 85375/6/14 at 7:19pmIf you do contact whites will be interestng to see what they say, I don't think they will see this as a mistake, as all their block heels seem to have a significant overhang. - it's my least favorite thing about Whites.
Apparently it's very easy to sand them down closer to flush, but whites seems to refuse to do it. I asked bakers to do it for me before they send the ones I have on order and Kyle said it's no problem.post #3643 of 85375/6/14 at 7:22pmpost #3644 of 85375/6/14 at 8:05pmpost #3645 of 85375/6/14 at 8:38pmQuote:
That being said all cuts are made by a hand, and a human one at that. I’ve noticed even my Cuban heels seem to have a bit of asymmetry going and I rather like it … Try buying that at a waltonville.
- A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, Bonafè, Carlos Santos, Saint Crispin's,... 3 minutes ago
- › new Yoox codes and sales - post them here 6 minutes ago
- › Red Wing Iron Ranger Boots - what's the dilly yo? 10 minutes ago
- › The Official Tweed Appreciation Thread 11 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 12 minutes ago
- › When is the Next Brooks Brothers Sale? 13 minutes ago
- › RM Williams Boots - Everything You Wanted to Know 18 minutes ago
- › Dr House Lab Coats style, where do i find it? Read more:... 19 minutes ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 21 minutes ago
- › + DRIES VAN NOTEN + 29 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...