Does anyone know if I should size up 1/2 from SD to Cougar? Thanks
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- The Great Cascadia Boot Thread Last post on 4/5/16 at 9:15am in Streetwear and Denim
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- NIB Gaziano & Girling Canterbury Balmoral Boot Shell Cordovan MH71 UK11.5E $2,200 Last post on 9/13/15 at 2:32am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- ORDER NOW! Viberg for Styleforum GMTO preorders Round1 - 2015 - Ends April 7. Last post on 2/2/16 at 4:15pm in Preorders, Group Made-to-order, trunk shows, and other collaborative efforts
- New Viberg for Styleforum GMTO makeups Last post on 6/6/16 at 1:28pm in Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
Last edited: 8/10/15
- A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOsLast edited: 5/24/16
- Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.Last edited: 2/9/16
- Stocking Stuffers for Your Favorite Denim HeadLast edited: 12/6/15
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts? - Page 227post #3391 of 85363/14/14 at 11:25pmpost #3392 of 85363/15/14 at 1:05amHas anyone got any guidance about the celastic toe?
I'm thinking of ordering a SD with black horsehide and a captoe, lined, but was wondering wether it will be too soft without the celastic toe?
The toe box always looks so much better on Whites when they don't have a celastic toe too...
And advice on what the most hard wearing leather is? I've loved what I've seen of horsehide so farpost #3393 of 85363/15/14 at 5:46amQuote:
I totally agree that the higher heel looks a little weird. It's always been the main drawback to Whites boots for me. The lower heel looks great, as many pics will show. I mean, if you are actually a logger then go with a higher appeal, but how many of us here are actually loggers?post #3394 of 85363/15/14 at 9:03amThe stock White's semi-dress heel is 1.5" - about 1/2" taller than Viberg's usual.
It's mainly an aesthetic call. I'm 6'2+ so a large heel looks proportional.
Personally I think the dropped heel takes away from the look of White's, which are meant to be workboots.
But I can understand the fascination with Viberg - they're playing their cards right.post #3395 of 85363/15/14 at 9:43am
I'm hoping that the higher heel of the White's boot along with the arch design will help alleviate some of my heel issues. I've recently read (onlineknowledgeyeah) that having a heel at around that height can mitigate the pain of heel spurs and plantar fasciitis.
This is part of the reason I'm trying out a standard heel on my SDs.post #3396 of 85363/15/14 at 11:29am
Ojaw, I switched to wearing White's exclusively after my Red Wings GT's gave me plantar fasciitis, and within a month it was gone. The Arch-ease system is incredible all of my needs, since it also mitigates the pain and stress of my scoliosis. You see, I have one leg 1/4" shorter than the other so typically lift up the inner sole lining and install a sturdy insert beneath it (not that Dr. Scholl's crap), and I can stand all day in my White's where I would normally I have to take a load off after an hour or two in all my other similarly modified shoes. The arch support provided by White's is a wonderful thing.
Also to those who wonder about the lowered heels, I'm not a fan of making changes to something White's spent decades perfecting. The lift is standard across all the sole combinations, 1.5" above the ball of the foot. But anything added to the sole is also added to the heel to maintain that ratio. One of the reasons so many people love the half soles and double leather is that there is no thick chunk of rubber to break up the continuous heel. Right now I think the commando mini lug half sole is the best looking that White's creates because you get the added traction of the lug without needing the sometimes very thick piece of rubber, but it comes standard with a double leather sole.post #3397 of 85363/15/14 at 11:53ampost #3398 of 85363/16/14 at 11:52amI just got a pair of White's Boots, and the right boot is off center at the heel. I only noticed it after experiencing an unusual heel strike with the right boot. My actual heel hangs about 1/4" over the heel stack on the inside. This isn't normal, and is something I should be worried about, right?
Edit: Doodles to better show what I'm talking about.
Edited by McQueen76 - 3/16/14 at 12:08pmpost #3399 of 85363/16/14 at 12:16pmQuote:Originally Posted by McQueen76
I just got a pair of White's Boots, and the right boot is off center at the heel. I only noticed it after experiencing an unusual heel strike with the right boot. My actual heel hangs about 1/4" over the heel stack on the inside. This isn't normal, and is something I should be worried about, right?
Edit: Doodles to better show what I'm talking about.
I admit it, I'm a White's fanboy, so I tend to let a lot of cosmetic issues slide. This one I would probably contact White's (or Baker's, depending on who you ordered from) about. The good thing is, I would say just putting a new heel stack on and grinding it to the correct profile would fix the problem. It isn't like they would need to pull the upper apart.post #3400 of 85363/17/14 at 10:08am
Several pages back I described a fitting issue I had. I am submitting this update to report that I had the issue resolved (remade by White's) and they now fit perfect. Andrew at Baker's did a great job of helping me out. I went ahead and had White's change the lowers to brown CXL.
Now for my next pair! My work environment is casual (jeans) and I purchased the BHs with that in mind. As luck would have it I have just accepted a position in a business casual (khakis/chinos). I have seen some post where some assert that SFs do not make suitable dress boots. I don't know if you really need "dress boots" for khakis, but would not some configurations qualify as "dress boots"? What makes a dress boot? I was thinking if configured appropriately it would definitely work with khakis, if not even slacks and a sport jacket. Does anyone have any experience trying to wear SFs in that sort of situation?post #3401 of 85363/17/14 at 3:07pmpost #3402 of 85363/17/14 at 3:09pmpost #3403 of 85363/17/14 at 3:40pmpost #3404 of 85363/17/14 at 4:46pmI wear my Packers and BHs all the time with chinos and a sportcoat. I don't work at a law firm or financial company though. I think the biggest issue is how clean and beat up they are. If they are covered in mud and scrapes, they probably won't work as well as a pair that is clean and at least has a nice finish to the leather.post #3405 of 85363/18/14 at 7:55amQuote:Originally Posted by andy b.
I wear my Packers and BHs all the time with chinos and a sportcoat. I don't work at a law firm or financial company though. I think the biggest issue is how clean and beat up they are. If they are covered in mud and scrapes, they probably won't work as well as a pair that is clean and at least has a nice finish to the leather.
I agree that cleanliness has a lot to do with it. I find that they look great with chinos, moleskins, and corduroys; wool dress trousers....not so much.
- A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › What are you drinking right now? 1 minute ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 1 minute ago
- › Dress in Academia 3 minutes ago
- › Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or... 10 minutes ago
- › Ever Belgrade Leather Jacket 12 minutes ago
- › Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata 15 minutes ago
- › Bourbon. 17 minutes ago
- › Cars We Drive! 18 minutes ago
- › Pierpont Leather - Official Affiliate Thread 20 minutes ago
- › 100% Cashmere Boglioli K Jackets Blowout Sale - MULTIPLE SIZES 20 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...