or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts? - Page 207

post #3091 of 4829
I doubt that White's would make one of their boots with a Cuban heel for any price. I think you're referring to their standard heel, which could be considered a logger heel, or even cowboy heel, but definitely NOT a cuban heel. A cuban heel is a short based (front to back), undershot, medium high heel. It is almost always used only on ladies' shoes. Cuban heels would not be appropriate for heavy duty boots, especially White's, with their distinctive arch design.
Even when the Beatles wore them they didn't get very popular- not in the US anyway.
post #3092 of 4829
Quote:
Originally Posted by anrobit View Post
 

I dig it, but my vote is a full Cuban heel or a lowered block heel.

I was originally going to do lowered block heel but reading through the thread it seems like the overwhelming consensus is that the standard heel is far more comfortable to walk in

post #3093 of 4829
Ah the heel the heel. Had both, have had a second pair in the lowered block, I don't get vertigo, horizontogo or I'm about to fall backward-igo. Unless you are on your feet (real) working all day, and even then I doubt the difference would be mahoosive, the block heel is still more comfortable, lowered as well, than any other boot I have worn. Otto White was a fantastic bootmaker, not a scientist, he found a height that seemed to work well with the arch, the arch flattens slightly with wear. I hardly ever read any complaints from people that have had the lowered heel, just those that live the curved and believe "it must be the way it was intended" hurrump!

and breathe.

But you know, each to his own smile.gif
post #3094 of 4829
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy View Post

My natural CXL SDs arrived yesterday…





 

Wow, those look great.    The natural CXL really looks good. Still waiting for my first pair of Whites, but those may well be my second pair.  How long did it take to get them? 

post #3095 of 4829
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4characters View Post
 

Just over 3 weeks.:)

Been just over 3 weeks for my Bounty Hunters.  Maybe I will see them sooner than I expected.  

post #3096 of 4829
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrend View Post

Honestly, I think it always looks way more pronounced in photos than it does on the foot with White's. I have other boots where the Cuban Heel is pretty damned obvious when I'm wearing them, but it's pretty subtle on my Bounty Hunters. It's noticeable, but it doesn't really look out of place.

I agree. I always thought the traditional heel on the White's SD looked pretty extreme in pics, but when I put them on - it was far more subtle. It just seems to work with the rest of the boot.
post #3097 of 4829
I still say lowered block heel...
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post

I was originally going to do lowered block heel but reading through the thread it seems like the overwhelming consensus is that the standard heel is far more comfortable to walk in
post #3098 of 4829
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpoizun View Post

I doubt that White's would make one of their boots with a Cuban heel for any price. I think you're referring to their standard heel, which could be considered a logger heel, or even cowboy heel, but definitely NOT a cuban heel. A cuban heel is a short based (front to back), undershot, medium high heel. It is almost always used only on ladies' shoes. Cuban heels would not be appropriate for heavy duty boots, especially White's, with their distinctive arch design.
Even when the Beatles wore them they didn't get very popular- not in the US anyway.
 

I'm pretty sure that even White's/Baker's uses the term "cuban heel" when describing their standard heel.

post #3099 of 4829

Just place an order for a pair of another SD for my brother in law, same build as my Navy Chromexcel but now on burgandy chromexcel.

post #3100 of 4829

I'm 10.5 Wide as shit on Brannock. Probably EEEEE or some shit. Do you think a pair of SD's in 11.5EE could work? I have 1k's in 11EEE and they fit ok. Little big in the toe box but with boot socks and insole they are good. Indy in 10.5EEE is okay after break in. 

post #3101 of 4829
My boots took about a month from the time I ordered them to the day they arrived. Here's another pic showing the taper to the heel. Again, its not a "Cuban" heel by any stretch, but still tapered.
photo-2.jpg
post #3102 of 4829
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlafG View Post

I'm 10.5 Wide as shit on Brannock. Probably EEEEE or some shit. Do you think a pair of SD's in 11.5EE could work? I have 1k's in 11EEE and they fit ok. Little big in the toe box but with boot socks and insole they are good. Indy in 10.5EEE is okay after break in. 

If you have oxen feet (like I do) White's makes an FF (which is an EE. You'll notice their widths go: E, EE, F,FF.
They told me that F=EE and FF=EEEE.)

If you are wearing 10.5 and 11 in other boots, I wouldn't go to an 11.5. I feel they run a smidge long. My guess is that a 10.5 FF would work for you. Trace your feet. Either mail them in, or break out a ruler and see where you fall.

If you have EEEs that took some break in, you should check out White's in an FF. I hear so many people talking about rough break-in. My two pairs of Whites didn't need any break in at all. A well fitting shoe or boot really shouldn't take much break in. My feeling is that many people buy D width because they are used to buying off the rack shoes that only come in D width. But they probably have E or EE feet and don't know it.

This is from Wesco, not White's, but it is a good table to get an idea of how widths and sizes go together.

http://www.boot.com/bsizcvt.htm#WidthTable

My feet measure size 9 and are 4.5" wide, which is off this chart. I ran it by Kyle and Bakers and he agreed that FF was the size to go for me.
post #3103 of 4829

Thanks. I found a pair on eBay that was 11.5EE but they probably won't fit then!

post #3104 of 4829
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlafG View Post
 

I'm 10.5 Wide as shit on Brannock. Probably EEEEE or some shit. Do you think a pair of SD's in 11.5EE could work? I have 1k's in 11EEE and they fit ok. Little big in the toe box but with boot socks and insole they are good. Indy in 10.5EEE is okay after break in. 

Send Baker's and White's your foot tracings. They will be able to help you determine the right fit.

post #3105 of 4829
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlafG View Post

Thanks. I found a pair on eBay that was 11.5EE but they probably won't fit then!

An 11.5EE is going to have about the same width as a 10.5EEE (see what I mean about sizing up for width?)

However you are going to have a lot of toe room and the arch support will likely be too far forward. If they are really cheap, you can give them a try. But if they are anywhere near full price, I would just pay full price for a new pair in your exact size. Or keep an eye out for some 10.5FF or 11F, but the really wide widths are going to be rare on ebay.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts?