Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- The Great Cascadia Boot Thread Last post on 10/26/15 at 8:17am in Streetwear and Denim
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- NIB Gaziano & Girling Canterbury Balmoral Boot Shell Cordovan MH71 UK11.5E $2,200 Last post on 9/13/15 at 2:32am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- ORDER NOW! Viberg for Styleforum GMTO preorders Round1 - 2015 - Ends April 7. Last post on 10/28/15 at 1:21am in Preorders, Group Made-to-order, trunk shows, and other collaborative efforts
- New Viberg for Styleforum GMTO makeups Last post on 11/22/15 at 4:12pm in Streetwear and Denim
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- H.N. White
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Wurkin Stiffs
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts? - Page 192
Styleforum Top Picks
^ These look very cool.
While I wait for pics from Tavoz (hint hint) to help me think about my black horsehide SD order (or the alternative, black CXL SJs), here's a question for you all: with black boots, would you choose Natural sole edge, or Brown sole edge? I keep going back and forth. And I definitely want silver eyelets, if that makes a difference...
Natural for sure. They'll patina up with time, but early on makes for a superb contrast with black. And don't overlook brass.
Yep, single celastic all the way. Just enough structure to keep it's shape, but not so much that it won't relax over time. I'd potentially go soft toe on a roughout boot, but I'm happy with my decision here.
I did go for leather lining, but purely because I somehow made a mistake when filling out the form on buildaboot. Not quite sure how, but I feared that it would be too thick with the lining, but now that they've arrived, I have zero regrets for the lining. Yep, leather is pretty damn thick, but I did so intentionally. I really messed up an ankle at the top of Katahdin last year, so I wanted something that would give me all the support in the world. I quite literally can't roll my ankle in these even if I tried.
I like these so much that I might even pay the ridiculous upcharge for a pair in shell at some point. These boots just love my feet, and vice versa.
In the mean time, I'm trying out a pair of 6" Nick's in dark olive CXL, next.
Edited by cathpah - 1/20/14 at 9:37pm
Well, not quite... These look seriously great, but then so do the ones posted above by b-ewing with the brown edges! (by the way, Emptygarage, where those pics are from have probably the best glammed-up White's pics around.) It's sort of like flip a coin I think, they are both great options.
I have always leaned toward natural, but am wondering if, with contrastnig silver eyelets (or even brass) and the white stitching, there would just be too much going on with the contrasting natural sole. Well, the question is still open -- more pics or feedback are is welcome.
One thing to consider about natural is that it will quickly turn a golden/orange/brown, so it won't look like the above photo for long. Whether you like what it changes into is personal preference, but I think natural on black boots looks best when brand new. The brown edge will keep its color better, and can be re-dyed easily as it wears. Something to consider.
Dear god, why would you do something as awful as that? A Christy sole is quite possibly the ugliest thing you could put on a pair of cordovan boots, especially something rare and beautiful as whiskey color. It's like putting a platinum Patek Philippe on a Velcro strap.
- Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts?
Styleforum Top Picks
- › Suitsupply NYC 10 seconds ago
- › The Official Beer Thread 29 seconds ago
- › things that are making you happy 2 minutes ago
- › Heavy smartphones and suits/sports jackets 8 minutes ago
- › Khaki's of Carmel - Official Affiliate Thread - Carmel-by-the-Sea,... 9 minutes ago
- › Australian Members 9 minutes ago
- › St. Crispin's Appreciation Thread 12 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 13 minutes ago
- › Self Edge SF/NY/LA/PDX - Japanese Denim & More (Iron Heart,... 15 minutes ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 15 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Christopher Ward C60 Trident Pro Auto by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Braided Dark Brown Belt by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Carlos Red Stripe Sweater by Mrvaerk
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › The Huckberry x Styleforum Holiday Gift Guide
- › In Passing: Style on the Streets of Toronto
- › Black Friday 2015: The Styleforum Sales List
- › How to Build an Amazing Work Wardrobe for $1200
- › Gifts for the Stylish Man
- › The Best of The Proper Kit in N.Y.C.
- › On the Road: Shop the Styleforum x No Man...
- › On the Road: Styleforum x No Man Walks Alone
- › An Interview with G. Bruce Boyer
- › The 2015 Buyer's Guide: Accessories