or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts? - Page 186

post #2776 of 6118
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathpah View Post

To be clear/sure, that's a really dark brown leather (almost black), right?

Yeah. Very versatile color.
More depth than black, particularly after wear!
Had a pair, sold em (were slightly too large - before I figured out my size), bought a pair back a few months ago and have worn them regularly since.
post #2777 of 6118

I finally placed my order tonight (thanks to everyone here, Kyle at Bakers, and Mark at White's), so now the waiting game begins.

 

At the last minute I almost went with the brown dress leather, but because I'm buying these to work in (architectural photographer who works in muck/nasty conditions outside) and because I'm buying them specifically for support (blew out my ankle on the top of a mountain last year...had to walk down a boulder field to get out, which certainly didn't help the damage done), Kyle advised me to go with something thicker than the dress brown, even over the dress brown with lining.

 

My boot is as follows:

 

9" Smokejumper on Semi-Dress last (Bounty Hunter)

distressed smooth throughout

single midsole w/ natural edge

Vibram 430

block heel lowered by 1/4"

antique hooks and eyes

single celastic

plain toe

cut top

pull loop

 

Now I wait.  Patience is not my strong suit, but I'm also waiting on a Teranishi Daytripper bag, also slated for 6 weeks...so late Jan/Early Feb should be great.

post #2778 of 6118

Custom White’s boots just ordered!
I’m very excited!

Specs:
Custom White's Smoke Jumper
Counter Leather Brown Smooth, Hardware Brass Eyes & Hooks, Celastic Toe Box No Thanks, Height 10", Last Standard, Steel Toe No Thanks, Upper (Shaft) Leather Brown Smooth, Toe Cap No Thanks, Toe Vamp Leather Brown Smooth, Top Cut Top (standard), Midsole Single, Leather Liner Cream, Size - Width D (medium), Lace Design Lace to Toe, Sole Vibram 700, Toe Cap Leather Color Does not apply, Edge Brown, Size - Length 10

post #2779 of 6118
4Cs, congrats! sounds like a really cool build. I'm especially looking forward to seeing what the standard SJ in the lace to toe pattern looks lie with a non-reinforced toe box. Merry early Xmas to you
post #2780 of 6118
Quote:
Originally Posted by b-ewing View Post

4Cs, congrats! sounds like a really cool build. I'm especially looking forward to seeing what the standard SJ in the lace to toe pattern looks lie with a non-reinforced toe box. Merry early Xmas to you

Thanks, I’ll have to go “all 4c” and post a ton of pictures….:D

post #2781 of 6118
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4characters View Post

Custom White’s boots just ordered!

I’m very excited!


Specs:

Custom White's Smoke Jumper

Counter Leather Brown Smooth, Hardware Brass Eyes & Hooks, Celastic Toe Box No Thanks, Height 10", Last Standard, Steel Toe No Thanks, Upper (Shaft) Leather Brown Smooth, Toe Cap No Thanks, Toe Vamp Leather Brown Smooth, Top Cut Top (standard), Midsole Single, Leather Liner Cream, Size - Width D (medium), Lace Design Lace to Toe, Sole Vibram 700, Toe Cap Leather Color Does not apply, Edge Brown, Size - Length 10

They are going to be nice! With the leather lining I bet they will be soft and relatively warm right from the start.

Andy B.
post #2782 of 6118

I'm planning the same in 8" soon in brown.

post #2783 of 6118

Left boot loose stitches are this normal?

post #2784 of 6118
Xmas dough is in, and it's time to plan the next build biggrin.gif

Question for y'all: is the 700 sole thicker than the Mini Vib?
post #2785 of 6118
The 700 and mini Vib (430) are pretty much the same thickness. I have both and they look the same. I think the 430 has slightly better traction in snow, but otherwise they are similar.

Andy B.
post #2786 of 6118
Thx, Andy. I have 430s on my SJs so was considering 700s on my next pair, tho if they were notably thicker I wouldn't.
post #2787 of 6118
n00b question...

what is the difference between 'close trim' and 'standard trim' when selecting the sole trim during the build a boot process?

TIA.
post #2788 of 6118
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellyhungry View Post

n00b question...

what is the difference between 'close trim' and 'standard trim' when selecting the sole trim during the build a boot process?

TIA.

It means how wide the edge of the sole is. If you look at some White's, you'll see that they're double-stitched around the edge and others are single-stitched...the latter of which is "close trim." This is mostly aesthetics, but a close trim can potentially reduce the number of recrafts you can do (according to White's).
post #2789 of 6118
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathpah View Post

It means how wide the edge of the sole is. If you look at some White's, you'll see that they're double-stitched around the edge and others are single-stitched...the latter of which is "close trim." This is mostly aesthetics, but a close trim can potentially reduce the number of recrafts you can do (according to White's).

Thank you for the explanation. Much appreciated smile.gif
Edited by bellyhungry - 12/28/13 at 4:48pm
post #2790 of 6118
Single-stitched looks slightly sleeker, like an Alden boot.
Double-stitched gives the front of the boot a wider base. More workwear.
It's mainly aesthetics... assuming you won't wear these for 20 years and need multiple resoles, or wade through slush on a daily basis.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts?