or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts? - Page 185

post #2761 of 4618
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathpah View Post
 

[...] It was this pair of Bl@ster's semi dress boots in Brown Smooth that has me confused.  That looks light as can be, and while I'm sure some of it can be attributed to the use of flash, I can't imagine flash could change it *that* much.

Just thought I'd make a quick comment here.

 

Try this link. It is (IMO) one of the best efforts at capturing the different leathers used by White's. The only problem is I don't know what the difference is between "Brown Oil Tan" and "Brown Smooth" on this link. From talking to Baker's I understood these to be the same thing. Maybe someone else knows the answer.

 

On a more general note, and this may not be what you want to hear, but photos are completely subjective and should form only a small part of your research. Speaking from having bought and sold a couple of dozen very expensive watches via online forums, one of the things I've learned was that the photos/images give you the feeling of absolute objective truth. In reality, partly because of the online medium, we begin to equate the image with the thing... but images are framed and contextualised in different ways, they're placed in a context, and even you and me as the viewer bring in our own context and therefore view the image in unique (and often different) ways. To be honest, I learned with watches not to place much emphasis on photos. The most important information is the story (history, experience, details, etc.). If the story is not consistent then alarm bells start ringing even if the images are faultless.

 

What does this mean in the case of the boots? If you can't see handle them directly then I'd be inclined to listen to the individual stories that people have on here. Ask for an account of their direct experience and not just a link to a googled image.

 

If its any help... I just ordered a pair of White's using Smooth Brown. I made the decision after calling a couple of people who had direct experience with the leather. I was tossing up between Smooth Brown and Brown CXL and was swayed to the former on the basis of the less uniform surface colour and the thicker, tougher character of the Smooth Brown leather. The conclusion that I came to on colour was that both were a similar, relatively light "mid brown".

post #2762 of 4618
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy b. View Post


Hey, I post my opinion, so always remember that. biggrin.gif
And in my opinion, those boots are definitely not brown smooth (or at least the leather White's refers to as brown smooth). The leather on them is brown, and it is smooth. It could be the lighting. I asked both White's and Baker's, and White's brown smooth leather is their darkest brown, I believe. I asked Kyle what the lightest colored thick brown leather was, and he said distressed.

Andy B.

And I very much appreciate your opinion...so keep chiming in!  Okay, I'll disregard that photo of Bl@ster's boots in hopes that they were mislabeled.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornheim View Post
 

Just thought I'd make a quick comment here.

 

Try this link. It is (IMO) one of the best efforts at capturing the different leathers used by White's. The only problem is I don't know what the difference is between "Brown Oil Tan" and "Brown Smooth" on this link. From talking to Baker's I understood these to be the same thing. Maybe someone else knows the answer.

 

On a more general note, and this may not be what you want to hear, but photos are completely subjective and should form only a small part of your research. Speaking from having bought and sold a couple of dozen very expensive watches via online forums, one of the things I've learned was that the photos/images give you the feeling of absolute objective truth. In reality, partly because of the online medium, we begin to equate the image with the thing... but images are framed and contextualised in different ways, they're placed in a context, and even you and me as the viewer bring in our own context and therefore view the image in unique (and often different) ways. To be honest, I learned with watches not to place much emphasis on photos. The most important information is the story (history, experience, details, etc.). If the story is not consistent then alarm bells start ringing even if the images are faultless.

 

What does this mean in the case of the boots? If you can't see handle them directly then I'd be inclined to listen to the individual stories that people have on here. Ask for an account of their direct experience and not just a link to a googled image.

 

If its any help... I just ordered a pair of White's using Smooth Brown. I made the decision after calling a couple of people who had direct experience with the leather. I was tossing up between Smooth Brown and Brown CXL and was swayed to the former on the basis of the less uniform surface colour and the thicker, tougher character of the Smooth Brown leather. The conclusion that I came to on colour was that both were a similar, relatively light "mid brown".

First off...good call on that link to EastWest's site.  I had forgotten all about that (originally read most of this thread a few months back when I was first interested in White's), and that really is incredibly helpful.

 

As far as the rest of what you said, you're speaking my language.  I'm a professional photographer, and everything you said is spot-on.  I think I may need to find some patiences (not my strong suit) and wait for White's to send me the leather samples.

 

To be clear, in your last sentence are you saying that the brown smooth is *not* uniform in color?  If so, I think that's a good thing, as I really love the character that some leathers have.  I don't want these to look like "shit kickers" so avoiding a matte/medium brown is really crucial to me.

post #2763 of 4618
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathpah View Post
To be clear, in your last sentence are you saying that the brown smooth is *not* uniform in color?  If so, I think that's a good thing, as I really love the character that some leathers have.  I don't want these to look like "shit kickers" so avoiding a matte/medium brown is really crucial to me.

Yeah... I guess that's the way I understand the finish on the "Brown Smooth" (and bearing in mind its a view I've formed from talking to people and not from handling the leather). Its an oil tanned leather and so reflects light in that oily, less uniformed way. I'm not 100% certain what it will look like when I finally get to handle it, but I sort of came to the conclusion that the differences between "Brown Oil Tan", "Brown Smooth" and "Brown CXL" will be relatively minor.

post #2764 of 4618
I just took this photo of my SmokeJumpers about 1 minute ago. The uppers are Brown Smooth. The flash makes the brown look lighter than it looks in person. I don't find the color to be very uneven, and it certainly is not a light brown.



Andy B.

pardon the filthy rug
post #2765 of 4618
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy b. View Post

I just took this photo of my SmokeJumpers about 1 minute ago. The uppers are Brown Smooth. The flash makes the brown look lighter than it looks in person. I don't find the color to be very uneven, and it certainly is not a light brown.



Andy B.

pardon the filthy rug

Thanks for doing this.  I really, really appreciate it.  Those look great!

post #2766 of 4618
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathpah View Post

Thanks for doing this.  I really, really appreciate it.  Those look great!

Thanks and no problem! It was easier than to keep referring back 100 pages, plus I've worn them a few times since those other photos were taken. Not much summer wear as they really aren't summer boots. I just wanted you to see the color on the pair I have to compare to any other photos you come across. When I first applied the Obenauf's it darkened the brown considerably. It was almost black, and took a few months to lighten. I am positive my build is Black Roughout and Brown Smooth.

Andy B.
post #2767 of 4618
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy b. View Post


My SJs are on the C461 last. Honestly, the exaggerated angles shown in a lot of the photos I think is part of the angle of the photos. I don't even really notice any difference in the feel between the C461 and the standard SD last on my Bounty Hunters.

Andy B.

Thanks Andy. Do you find the fit to be about the same for both lasts? I'm guessing that the C461 might be roomier than the SD since my understanding is that it's closer to a 4811 than a SD.

post #2768 of 4618
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2eleven View Post

Thanks Andy. Do you find the fit to be about the same for both lasts? I'm guessing that the C461 might be roomier than the SD since my understanding is that it's closer to a 4811 than a SD.

My Bounty Hunters (on the SD last) are a 9.5D. The SJs on the C461 are a 9.5E so I can wear thick wool socks with them. I know that doesn't make it an apples-to-apples comparison, but the SJs seem like much more than one width larger, and I think they feel slightly longer. Everyone says the SJ last is one of the roomiest, so it would make sense that the toebox feels a good bit larger than the SD last. I went back and forth with Kyle at Baker's over a bunch of emails to verify the size to get. Kyle assured me going to the C461 in the SJs and staying at the 9.5 size length would give me the added space for the thickest wool socks I could find, and as usual he was correct. smile.gif

Oh, the SJs in the photo above in post #2767 are the ones on the C461 last. As you can see, the toe doesn't look much different than any other pair of SJs. I know part of the reason is because of the angle of the photo, but the C461 last definitely doesn't add some crazy curl to the toe.

Andy B.
post #2769 of 4618

brown smooth is indeed very dark brown. I love it. 

 

these are my brown smooth ( brown if your order a smoke jumper from White's or anywhere other than Baker's I guess.) Smoke Jumpers (Farmer Rancher due to the sole apparently) 

post #2770 of 4618
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyTylerson View Post
 

brown smooth is indeed very dark brown. I love it.

 

these are my brown smooth ( brown if your order a smoke jumper from White's or anywhere other than Baker's I guess.) Smoke Jumpers (Farmer Rancher due to the sole apparently)

love that build!

post #2771 of 4618
Pretty sure that Brown smooth and Brown oil tan are the same, but I think that Brown CXL will be significantly different -- glossier, more stretchy,and ultimately aging very differently...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bornheim View Post

Yeah... I guess that's the way I understand the finish on the "Brown Smooth" (and bearing in mind its a view I've formed from talking to people and not from handling the leather). Its an oil tanned leather and so reflects light in that oily, less uniformed way. I'm not 100% certain what it will look like when I finally get to handle it, but I sort of came to the conclusion that the differences between "Brown Oil Tan", "Brown Smooth" and "Brown CXL" will be relatively minor.
post #2772 of 4618

 

 

 

this is brown chromexcel. its very different from brown smooth. before obenauf's I'd say they were similar in color. there are the distinctive pull up characteristics - lightening of the leather when the oils are moved around etc. 

 

what I really like about CXL is how smooth it is. Its hard to see any pores or anything on the leather. its smooth like shell cordovan (sorta). I love that about cxl, but its also very prone to minor abrasions and scuffs. the brown smooth is not. cxl is very comfortable. My semi dress boots feel like a well worn glove now. We'll have to see if the brown smooth fares the same.

post #2773 of 4618

These are beauties!  Can you tell us how much wear this represents...?

 

Thanks.

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by RickyTylerson View Post
 

 

post #2774 of 4618
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyTylerson View Post
 

Lined or unlined?

 

 C461 last?

post #2775 of 4618

I've had them for about 3 years. They've been rebuilt twice though due to sizing issues. so the vamp area is only about a year old. the uppers are 3. 

 

unlined semi dress last - but the last is modified on the right foot for a larger toe box. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts?