Thanks for doing this. I really, really appreciate it. Those look great!
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- The Great Cascadia Boot Thread Last post on 4/5/16 at 9:15am in Streetwear and Denim
- Meermin Dark Brown Country Calf Brogue Boots size UK10 Last post on 2/20/17 at 10:24am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Seavees 5 Eye Trail Boots Tobacco - US 10 Last post on 8/28/16 at 6:04pm in Streetwear & Denim Classifieds
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- NIB Gaziano & Girling Canterbury Balmoral Boot Shell Cordovan MH71 UK11.5E $2,200 Last post on 9/13/15 at 2:32am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
Last edited: 8/10/15
- A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOsLast edited: 5/24/16
- Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.Last edited: 2/9/16
- Stocking Stuffers for Your Favorite Denim HeadLast edited: 12/6/15
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts? - Page 181post #2701 of 958811/29/13 at 2:25pmpost #2702 of 958811/29/13 at 2:42pmQuote:
Thanks and no problem! It was easier than to keep referring back 100 pages, plus I've worn them a few times since those other photos were taken. Not much summer wear as they really aren't summer boots. I just wanted you to see the color on the pair I have to compare to any other photos you come across. When I first applied the Obenauf's it darkened the brown considerably. It was almost black, and took a few months to lighten. I am positive my build is Black Roughout and Brown Smooth.
Andy B.post #2703 of 958811/29/13 at 3:08pmQuote:
Thanks Andy. Do you find the fit to be about the same for both lasts? I'm guessing that the C461 might be roomier than the SD since my understanding is that it's closer to a 4811 than a SD.post #2704 of 958811/29/13 at 3:33pmQuote:
My Bounty Hunters (on the SD last) are a 9.5D. The SJs on the C461 are a 9.5E so I can wear thick wool socks with them. I know that doesn't make it an apples-to-apples comparison, but the SJs seem like much more than one width larger, and I think they feel slightly longer. Everyone says the SJ last is one of the roomiest, so it would make sense that the toebox feels a good bit larger than the SD last. I went back and forth with Kyle at Baker's over a bunch of emails to verify the size to get. Kyle assured me going to the C461 in the SJs and staying at the 9.5 size length would give me the added space for the thickest wool socks I could find, and as usual he was correct.
Oh, the SJs in the photo above in post #2767 are the ones on the C461 last. As you can see, the toe doesn't look much different than any other pair of SJs. I know part of the reason is because of the angle of the photo, but the C461 last definitely doesn't add some crazy curl to the toe.
Andy B.post #2705 of 958811/29/13 at 3:39pmpost #2706 of 958811/29/13 at 4:41pmpost #2707 of 958811/29/13 at 7:06pmPretty sure that Brown smooth and Brown oil tan are the same, but I think that Brown CXL will be significantly different -- glossier, more stretchy,and ultimately aging very differently...Quote:Originally Posted by bornheim
Yeah... I guess that's the way I understand the finish on the "Brown Smooth" (and bearing in mind its a view I've formed from talking to people and not from handling the leather). Its an oil tanned leather and so reflects light in that oily, less uniformed way. I'm not 100% certain what it will look like when I finally get to handle it, but I sort of came to the conclusion that the differences between "Brown Oil Tan", "Brown Smooth" and "Brown CXL" will be relatively minor.post #2708 of 958811/29/13 at 7:21pm
this is brown chromexcel. its very different from brown smooth. before obenauf's I'd say they were similar in color. there are the distinctive pull up characteristics - lightening of the leather when the oils are moved around etc.
what I really like about CXL is how smooth it is. Its hard to see any pores or anything on the leather. its smooth like shell cordovan (sorta). I love that about cxl, but its also very prone to minor abrasions and scuffs. the brown smooth is not. cxl is very comfortable. My semi dress boots feel like a well worn glove now. We'll have to see if the brown smooth fares the same.post #2709 of 958812/1/13 at 11:47ampost #2710 of 958812/1/13 at 3:23pmpost #2711 of 958812/1/13 at 5:31pmpost #2712 of 958812/2/13 at 5:57ampost #2713 of 958812/2/13 at 4:04pmpost #2714 of 958812/2/13 at 4:07pmpost #2715 of 958812/2/13 at 4:08pm
I got my BHs in a couple of weeks ago so I had some questions/comments. First the comments, love the boots, well made as were the pair of SJs I purchased in 1998. I had an interesting conversation with White's concerning the color. I ordered them in British Tan but changed to Classic Brown as I was concerned the former would be too orange. After I got them I was convinced they had actually been made in BT after comparing them to BT swatch I had (see pic). I called White's to get the final word. Turns out according to White's, British Tan and Classic Brown are the same color! The name just depends on what boot they are in. Who knew?
Next the question. I am concerned they are too big, They feel good in some spots but generally feel a little squishy in the heel. When I bought my SJs back in 1998, I sent foot tracings to White's and was sized at 10.5 EE. That is what I ordered these in. You can see from the photo how much room is between my big to and the end of the boot. I was expecting them to be more snug as I remember my SJs being. Am I remembering incorrectly? If they should be more snug is there anything that can be done about it? Thanks.
- A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Allen Edmonds MacNeil #8 Burgundy Shell Cordovan US8.5E 8 minutes ago
- › RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine 10 minutes ago
- › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here... 11 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 12 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 13 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 17 minutes ago
- › J FitzPatrick Appreciation Thread 17 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 20 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2017 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice,... 36 minutes ago
- › The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing,... 39 minutes ago
- › Men’s The Original 3” Boxerjock® Boxer Briefs... by Alper
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...