Thanks for doing this. I really, really appreciate it. Those look great!
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- The Great Cascadia Boot Thread Last post on 10/26/15 at 8:17am in Streetwear and Denim
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- NIB Gaziano & Girling Canterbury Balmoral Boot Shell Cordovan MH71 UK11.5E $2,200 Last post on 9/13/15 at 2:32am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- ORDER NOW! Viberg for Styleforum GMTO preorders Round1 - 2015 - Ends April 7. Last post on 10/28/15 at 1:21am in Preorders, Group Made-to-order, trunk shows, and other collaborative efforts
- New Viberg for Styleforum GMTO makeups Last post on 11/22/15 at 4:12pm in Streetwear and Denim
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- H.N. White
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Wurkin Stiffs
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts? - Page 181
Styleforum Top Picks
Thanks and no problem! It was easier than to keep referring back 100 pages, plus I've worn them a few times since those other photos were taken. Not much summer wear as they really aren't summer boots. I just wanted you to see the color on the pair I have to compare to any other photos you come across. When I first applied the Obenauf's it darkened the brown considerably. It was almost black, and took a few months to lighten. I am positive my build is Black Roughout and Brown Smooth.
Thanks Andy. Do you find the fit to be about the same for both lasts? I'm guessing that the C461 might be roomier than the SD since my understanding is that it's closer to a 4811 than a SD.
My Bounty Hunters (on the SD last) are a 9.5D. The SJs on the C461 are a 9.5E so I can wear thick wool socks with them. I know that doesn't make it an apples-to-apples comparison, but the SJs seem like much more than one width larger, and I think they feel slightly longer. Everyone says the SJ last is one of the roomiest, so it would make sense that the toebox feels a good bit larger than the SD last. I went back and forth with Kyle at Baker's over a bunch of emails to verify the size to get. Kyle assured me going to the C461 in the SJs and staying at the 9.5 size length would give me the added space for the thickest wool socks I could find, and as usual he was correct.
Oh, the SJs in the photo above in post #2767 are the ones on the C461 last. As you can see, the toe doesn't look much different than any other pair of SJs. I know part of the reason is because of the angle of the photo, but the C461 last definitely doesn't add some crazy curl to the toe.
Yeah... I guess that's the way I understand the finish on the "Brown Smooth" (and bearing in mind its a view I've formed from talking to people and not from handling the leather). Its an oil tanned leather and so reflects light in that oily, less uniformed way. I'm not 100% certain what it will look like when I finally get to handle it, but I sort of came to the conclusion that the differences between "Brown Oil Tan", "Brown Smooth" and "Brown CXL" will be relatively minor.
this is brown chromexcel. its very different from brown smooth. before obenauf's I'd say they were similar in color. there are the distinctive pull up characteristics - lightening of the leather when the oils are moved around etc.
what I really like about CXL is how smooth it is. Its hard to see any pores or anything on the leather. its smooth like shell cordovan (sorta). I love that about cxl, but its also very prone to minor abrasions and scuffs. the brown smooth is not. cxl is very comfortable. My semi dress boots feel like a well worn glove now. We'll have to see if the brown smooth fares the same.
I got my BHs in a couple of weeks ago so I had some questions/comments. First the comments, love the boots, well made as were the pair of SJs I purchased in 1998. I had an interesting conversation with White's concerning the color. I ordered them in British Tan but changed to Classic Brown as I was concerned the former would be too orange. After I got them I was convinced they had actually been made in BT after comparing them to BT swatch I had (see pic). I called White's to get the final word. Turns out according to White's, British Tan and Classic Brown are the same color! The name just depends on what boot they are in. Who knew?
Next the question. I am concerned they are too big, They feel good in some spots but generally feel a little squishy in the heel. When I bought my SJs back in 1998, I sent foot tracings to White's and was sized at 10.5 EE. That is what I ordered these in. You can see from the photo how much room is between my big to and the end of the boot. I was expecting them to be more snug as I remember my SJs being. Am I remembering incorrectly? If they should be more snug is there anything that can be done about it? Thanks.
- Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts?
Styleforum Top Picks
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 15 seconds ago
- › COMMON PROJECTS ORIGINAL ACHILLES MID - SIZE 42 - BLACK GRAIN LEATHER 58 seconds ago
- › John Lobb Appreciation Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Club Monaco: Adventures in decent clothing and horrible marketing 4 minutes ago
- › Meermin Mallorca Shoes 5 minutes ago
- › Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread 5 minutes ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 6 minutes ago
- › Show us how you roll in Engineered Garments 7 minutes ago
- › Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or... 7 minutes ago
- › Heavy smartphones and suits/sports jackets 7 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Christopher Ward C60 Trident Pro Auto by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Braided Dark Brown Belt by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Carlos Red Stripe Sweater by Mrvaerk
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › The Huckberry x Styleforum Holiday Gift Guide
- › In Passing: Style on the Streets of Toronto
- › Black Friday 2015: The Styleforum Sales List
- › How to Build an Amazing Work Wardrobe for $1200
- › Gifts for the Stylish Man
- › The Best of The Proper Kit in N.Y.C.
- › On the Road: Shop the Styleforum x No Man...
- › On the Road: Styleforum x No Man Walks Alone
- › An Interview with G. Bruce Boyer
- › The 2015 Buyer's Guide: Accessories