or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts? - Page 162

post #2416 of 5433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megatron1505 View Post

My Bounty Hunters, black dress and rough out....



Well done! The all black with a mix of smooth and rough out has a distinguished look to it.
Are they the standard 6" height? My BHs have 4 pairs of eyelets, then 3 pairs of hooks, then a pair of top eyelets. Yours have 9 pairs of eyelets and I like the look of the extra pair.

Andy B.
post #2417 of 5433
Thank you, they're standard 6" hight. I really wanted to try the contrast of smooth and rough out leathers and I've been quite pleased with the results.

What is the consensus around here for leather treatments? I've been using Huberds Boot Grease every few months.
post #2418 of 5433
Pecards and Obenaufs have my vote

BTW, Mega, love them boots
post #2419 of 5433

I really like Skidmore's

post #2420 of 5433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dryvah View Post

Hello All.

All these boots are beautiful!

Im about to pull the trigger on a pair of Whites Classic Work boots. I have a couple of concerns though. Are these boots actually good for construction work? Also, are they a good boots for New England winters?

This is what I plan on buying.

White's Classic Work Boot

Size - Length 11.5, Sole Commando Mini Lug Half Sole, Heel Lifts Standard, Edge Natural, Upper (Shaft) Leather Brown Chrome Excel by Horween, Midsole Single, Toe Cap Leather Toe Cap (only available on plain toe style), Leather Liner Tan, Sole Trim Close Trim, Toe Vamp Leather Brown Chrome Excel by Horween, Heel Base Standard, Size - Width D (medium), Hardware Antique Eyes & Hooks, Celastic Toe Box Double Celastic Toe, Lace Design Plain Toe, Counter Leather Brown Chrome Excel by Horween, Height 6"

Yes but I would recommend that you don't get Chrome Excel for construction use. Get brown smooth. The smooth leathers are strongest and you'll be happiest in the long run.

I also strongly recommend a full sole. The half sole will wear faster and allow snow/dirt against the leather. A full sole will be more durable.

It sounds to me like you are letting some fashion choices (chrome excel / half sole) take the lead and trying to put them into a work boot role.

I suggest you don't compromise. If you want a work boot, Whites can be bulletproof and will never let you down. But build it appropriately. If you want a fashion/casual boot, Whites also won't let you down. But don't force fashionable details into a work role.

Maybe you need two pairs! That's what I did. Water buffalo and half soles for fashion and smooth leather with a full sole for work.
post #2421 of 5433
Quote:
Originally Posted by univibe88 View Post

Yes but I would recommend that you don't get Chrome Excel for construction use. Get brown smooth. The smooth leathers are strongest and you'll be happiest in the long run.

I also strongly recommend a full sole. The half sole will wear faster and allow snow/dirt against the leather. A full sole will be more durable.

It sounds to me like you are letting some fashion choices (chrome excel / half sole) take the lead and trying to put them into a work boot role.

I suggest you don't compromise. If you want a work boot, Whites can be bulletproof and will never let you down. But build it appropriately. If you want a fashion/casual boot, Whites also won't let you down. But don't force fashionable details into a work role.

Maybe you need two pairs! That's what I did. Water buffalo and half soles for fashion and smooth leather with a full sole for work.

I agree with this. As a work boot the chromexcel will hold up but the Standard brown leather will be more durable. The break in time will be a little longer for the standard leather but well worth it over the long haul. This is what the standard leather was made for, and what has made whites the go to firefighting and logging boots for so long. Also the natural midsole will be black within a month if used as a work boot. oh and you will be happier with a taller boot for construction purposes as well. at a minimum 8" just to keep crap out of your boots. For water proofing sno-seal works very well.
I agree with Univibe. get yourself the work boots and then save up and get yourself a pair of Semi-dress for evenings and weekends, which is exactly what the semi-dress was made for.
post #2422 of 5433
To me, these epitomize the SD look
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumgardner View Post



Any thoughts as to whether I can develop the same patina, and break in on a pair with double leather soles and leather lining?
post #2423 of 5433
Definitely!
post #2424 of 5433
Those SD's are THE classic SD look.
post #2425 of 5433
Quote:
Originally Posted by univibe88 View Post

Maybe you need two pairs!

Two pairs is a minimum. Wouldn’t it be a drag to have to take off your wonderful CXL shoes to put on some uncomfortable work boots (not White’s) and wouldn’t it be just terrible to only have White’s brown smooth work boots and to have to put on other inferior boots to go out. My scenario is the first one, I need to get a pair of brown smooth work boots now… Two pairs!


Edited by 4characters - 10/10/13 at 12:26pm
post #2426 of 5433
Quote:
Originally Posted by univibe88 View Post


Yes but I would recommend that you don't get Chrome Excel for construction use. Get brown smooth. The smooth leathers are strongest and you'll be happiest in the long run.

I also strongly recommend a full sole. The half sole will wear faster and allow snow/dirt against the leather. A full sole will be more durable.

It sounds to me like you are letting some fashion choices (chrome excel / half sole) take the lead and trying to put them into a work boot role.

I suggest you don't compromise. If you want a work boot, Whites can be bulletproof and will never let you down. But build it appropriately. If you want a fashion/casual boot, Whites also won't let you down. But don't force fashionable details into a work role.

Maybe you need two pairs! That's what I did. Water buffalo and half soles for fashion and smooth leather with a full sole for work.


Smooth brown it is then. 

 

Which full sole would you recommend for these boots?

 

I wasnt letting fashion choices take the lead. I didnt know the chrome exel leather wasnt as durable. I just liked that color the best.

 

Thanks.

post #2427 of 5433
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy94 View Post


I agree with this. As a work boot the chromexcel will hold up but the Standard brown leather will be more durable. The break in time will be a little longer for the standard leather but well worth it over the long haul. This is what the standard leather was made for, and what has made whites the go to firefighting and logging boots for so long. Also the natural midsole will be black within a month if used as a work boot. oh and you will be happier with a taller boot for construction purposes as well. at a minimum 8" just to keep crap out of your boots. For water proofing sno-seal works very well.
I agree with Univibe. get yourself the work boots and then save up and get yourself a pair of Semi-dress for evenings and weekends, which is exactly what the semi-dress was made for.

Hi Sleepy,

Thanks for the help here.

 

Ive worn 6 inch Danners for years at work and much prefer them to taller boots. I just find them way more comfortable to walk in.

 

Im a construction supervisor so my boots dont exactly get abused but they are worn around jobsite on a daily basis so I need a tough pair for sure.

post #2428 of 5433
Quote:
Originally Posted by b-ewing View Post

To me, these epitomize the SD look
Any thoughts as to whether I can develop the same patina, and break in on a pair with double leather soles and leather lining?

My only experience with the leather lining is on my BHs. The upper is bullhide, and White's says you have to use the lining with bullhide because the leather isn't as stiff as cowhide. I can say, the leather lining was as buttery soft as thin elkhide the day the boots arrived, so I don't think a lining would affect how the upper leather breaks in. The lining is very smooth and after almost 4 years of wear, I can see no areas of wear on the lining so I wouldn't hesitate to get it if that is what you wanted.

As I wrote that I had to laugh. I know guys with cheap footwear that the entire boot is garbage after a year, and I'm saying not even the White's lining shows any wear after 4 years. biggrin.gif

Andy B.
post #2429 of 5433
Whites told you that bull hide wasn't as stiff as cow hide? I've had bull hide boots from Whites and they were the stiffest, hardest boots I have ever worn. Are you sure you don't mean buffalo?

My boots were unlined but still comfortable, the sole was extremely rigid though.

My Bull Hide boots.

post #2430 of 5433
For comparison, my Sienna Buffalo hide SD's.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts?