Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- The Great Cascadia Boot Thread Last post on 4/5/16 at 9:15am in Streetwear and Denim
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- NIB Gaziano & Girling Canterbury Balmoral Boot Shell Cordovan MH71 UK11.5E $2,200 Last post on 9/13/15 at 2:32am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- ORDER NOW! Viberg for Styleforum GMTO preorders Round1 - 2015 - Ends April 7. Last post on 2/2/16 at 4:15pm in Preorders, Group Made-to-order, trunk shows, and other collaborative efforts
- New Viberg for Styleforum GMTO makeups Last post on 6/6/16 at 1:28pm in Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
Last edited: 8/10/15
- A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOsLast edited: 5/24/16
- Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.Last edited: 2/9/16
- Stocking Stuffers for Your Favorite Denim HeadLast edited: 12/6/15
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts? - Page 144post #2146 of 84859/3/13 at 12:58pmpost #2147 of 84859/3/13 at 3:16pmQuote:Originally Posted by andy b.
I've had my Bounty Hunters with red dog vamp and heel counters for three years and wear them often. My SJs with the brown smooth uppers are less than a year old and I haven't worn them at all this summer. So I really can't comment on how durable the brown smooth is or how it will age, but I would expect since it is one of the two heaviest leathers White's offers, it should be very durable. The brown smooth is very dark, so as it ages I expect it to get only darker, almost black. The red dog gets a little darker when I oil it with Obenauf's, but it lightens back up a little over time. It is a nice reddish-brown color. In sunlight it has definite red coloring.
As for weight, the red dog seems a little lighter. If the brown smooth is 8-9 oz, the red dog is maybe 7 oz. The brown smooth seems stiffer than the red dog did right from the start. It is tough to say though since I only have one pair of each and the leather thickness can vary.
Andy, how's the fit of the BHs compared to the SJs?post #2148 of 84859/3/13 at 6:05pm
Well, somewhere a few pages back I posted my crazy sizing stories. To make it short, my BHs are 9 1/2 D and my SJs are 9 1/2 E. I wear a lightweight hiking sock or something about like an athletic sock with the BHs, and the thickest wool socks I can find with the SJs. The wool socks are from Cabela's, and I would say they are at least 1/8" thick when compressed. That doesn't sound too thick, but it effectively makes your foot 1/4" wider and 1/4" taller. I can't even start to fit my foot into the BHs with the wool socks on.
My guess is that a pair of SJs in 9 1/2 D would fit pretty close to the BHs. I told Kyle at Baker's what I wanted to do with the thick socks, and it was his suggestion to go with the E width for the SJs. I asked him several times if he was sure about this, and he assured me it would work. At this point if I had a sizing question, and had an existing pair of White's to base my question on, I would go 100% with what Kyle recommends. He really does do this every day.
I am already planning my next pair of White's. It will be lace-to-toe SJs, 6" height, 9 1/2 D, probably distressed brown. I have no doubt the 9 1/2 D SJs will be fine with light hiking socks.
Andy B.post #2149 of 84859/3/13 at 6:46pmpost #2150 of 84859/4/13 at 7:09ampost #2151 of 84859/4/13 at 12:42pmpost #2152 of 84859/4/13 at 12:54pmpost #2153 of 84859/4/13 at 1:03pmpost #2154 of 84859/4/13 at 1:42pmpost #2155 of 84859/4/13 at 2:28pmpost #2156 of 84859/5/13 at 6:30pm
Thanks for all the advice everyone. This wonderful thread has so much information that I was finally able to nail down my order and I placed it tonight! Now the 8-10 week wait begins :(
6" height Bounty Hunter
Natural chromexcel leather
Toe cap with single celastic toe box
Antique eyes and hooks
Commando mini lug half sole
Close trim brown edge
Brown linerpost #2157 of 84859/5/13 at 8:56pmpost #2158 of 84859/5/13 at 9:31pmpost #2159 of 84859/5/13 at 9:40pmpost #2160 of 84859/5/13 at 9:45pmQuote:
Of course, should have known…
But, do they send an email before they do the horseback delivery?
- A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread 3 minutes ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, ... 4 minutes ago
- › Equus Leather - Bridle Leather Belts - Official Affiliate Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Official Wedding Attire Question/Answer/Picture Thread 9 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 11 minutes ago
- › Viberg Boots 11 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 20 minutes ago
- › Engineered Garments FW 16 24 minutes ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 25 minutes ago
- › Rock Your Socks- show your sock, shoe & pant combos 27 minutes ago
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...