Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- The Great Cascadia Boot Thread Last post on 7/31/15 at 10:19am in Streetwear and Denim
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on Yesterday at 10:44 am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- NIB Gaziano & Girling Canterbury Balmoral Boot Shell Cordovan MH71 UK11.5E $2,200 Last post on 8/4/15 at 11:58pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- ORDER NOW! Viberg for Styleforum GMTO preorders Round1 - 2015 - Ends April 7. Last post on 8/27/15 at 7:39am in Preorders, Group Made-to-order, trunk shows, and other collaborative efforts
- New Viberg for Styleforum GMTO makeups Last post on 5/2/15 at 9:40pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts? - Page 144
Styleforum Top Picks
I've had my Bounty Hunters with red dog vamp and heel counters for three years and wear them often. My SJs with the brown smooth uppers are less than a year old and I haven't worn them at all this summer. So I really can't comment on how durable the brown smooth is or how it will age, but I would expect since it is one of the two heaviest leathers White's offers, it should be very durable. The brown smooth is very dark, so as it ages I expect it to get only darker, almost black. The red dog gets a little darker when I oil it with Obenauf's, but it lightens back up a little over time. It is a nice reddish-brown color. In sunlight it has definite red coloring.
As for weight, the red dog seems a little lighter. If the brown smooth is 8-9 oz, the red dog is maybe 7 oz. The brown smooth seems stiffer than the red dog did right from the start. It is tough to say though since I only have one pair of each and the leather thickness can vary.
Andy, how's the fit of the BHs compared to the SJs?
Well, somewhere a few pages back I posted my crazy sizing stories. To make it short, my BHs are 9 1/2 D and my SJs are 9 1/2 E. I wear a lightweight hiking sock or something about like an athletic sock with the BHs, and the thickest wool socks I can find with the SJs. The wool socks are from Cabela's, and I would say they are at least 1/8" thick when compressed. That doesn't sound too thick, but it effectively makes your foot 1/4" wider and 1/4" taller. I can't even start to fit my foot into the BHs with the wool socks on.
My guess is that a pair of SJs in 9 1/2 D would fit pretty close to the BHs. I told Kyle at Baker's what I wanted to do with the thick socks, and it was his suggestion to go with the E width for the SJs. I asked him several times if he was sure about this, and he assured me it would work. At this point if I had a sizing question, and had an existing pair of White's to base my question on, I would go 100% with what Kyle recommends. He really does do this every day.
I am already planning my next pair of White's. It will be lace-to-toe SJs, 6" height, 9 1/2 D, probably distressed brown. I have no doubt the 9 1/2 D SJs will be fine with light hiking socks.
Thanks for all the advice everyone. This wonderful thread has so much information that I was finally able to nail down my order and I placed it tonight! Now the 8-10 week wait begins :(
6" height Bounty Hunter
Natural chromexcel leather
Toe cap with single celastic toe box
Antique eyes and hooks
Commando mini lug half sole
Close trim brown edge
Of course, should have known…
But, do they send an email before they do the horseback delivery?
- Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts?
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 20 seconds ago
- › The Ultimate Toronto Thread 1 minute ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, EG, GG, Bonafe, Saint Crispin's -... 2 minutes ago
- › Classic Menswear Lounge 5 minutes ago
- › Wolf vs. Goat Official Affiliate Thread - New April 16, 2015 6 minutes ago
- › The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Porn Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread 9 minutes ago
- › Australian Members 15 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 18 minutes ago
- › ?What is the first thing you notice when you see a man in a suit? 23 minutes ago
- › Human Scales Braided Dark Brown Belt by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Carlos Red Stripe Sweater by Mrvaerk
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Announcing the winner of the Kent Wang...
- › Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
- › Mohair: A Little-Known Hot-Weather Cloth
- › The Myth of the Nice Guy: Baseball’s...
- › Three Gin Cocktails for Summertime
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015