Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- The Great Cascadia Boot Thread Last post on 4/5/16 at 9:15am in Streetwear and Denim
- Meermin Dark Brown Country Calf Brogue Boots size UK10 Last post on 2/20/17 at 10:24am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Seavees 5 Eye Trail Boots Tobacco - US 10 Last post on 8/28/16 at 6:04pm in Streetwear & Denim Classifieds
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- NIB Gaziano & Girling Canterbury Balmoral Boot Shell Cordovan MH71 UK11.5E $2,200 Last post on 9/13/15 at 2:32am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
Last edited: 8/10/15
- A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOsLast edited: 5/24/16
- Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.Last edited: 2/9/16
- Stocking Stuffers for Your Favorite Denim HeadLast edited: 12/6/15
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts? - Page 140post #2087 of 95788/27/13 at 8:19ampost #2088 of 95788/27/13 at 10:05ampost #2089 of 95788/27/13 at 11:12ampost #2090 of 95788/27/13 at 12:21pm
You know my steeze!
I was all geared up for the British tan with a cap toe, but just purchased the Alden x J Crew Barrie shell boots so now I'm thinking I want my SDs with a plain toe. And I've seen killer pics of well patina'd plain toe brown dress SDs... So I'm just plain confused.post #2091 of 95788/27/13 at 1:21pmpost #2092 of 95788/27/13 at 3:42pm
The dress brown leather ages really nicely and is a White’s original leather that they have been using for a super long time.
But on the other hand Konadog’s SDs in British tan have a really wonderful rich color that from the pictures seems more dynamic then the dress brown.
I suppose I would go for the British tan, but then again the horse hide is also very nice.
Oh he*l, they are all nice, just compromise and buy one of each or close your eyes and point.post #2093 of 95788/27/13 at 4:20pmpost #2094 of 95788/27/13 at 4:58pmQuote:
Generally, dark brown gets more use than tan, in my book. Although they are both essential.
The only caveat is that White's dark brown is REALLY dark brown, like almost black.
A brown CXL that has more mid tones would make a good third option.post #2095 of 95788/27/13 at 5:25pmGood observation, Meso. Basically confirms my suspicions, as well as reaffirms my obsession with getting both
Would jump on the horsehide if it were horse strip (aka horse butt), but I'm guessing its not because it's not advertised as such (right?).
Most likely going to wear these with my new A2
Perhaps the British tan is too matchy? Or maybe it's "just right" matchy?post #2096 of 95788/27/13 at 7:18pmB-Ewing,
The brown horsehide is amazing. I've had lots of shell cordovan shoes throughout my life, and the HH is not even close to the same, but it is still nothing short of spectacular leather. I have seen all the leathers you are considering, and the HH looks better than any of them in my opinion. The Brown Dress is as dressy, and the British Tan is beautiful, but neither of them have the depth or character of the HH. The color of the HH is somewhere between the two others and it is slightly mottled -- just enough to add that depth and character I described, not enough to look odd. The added price of the HH is not too high, especially for what you get. While not as durable as shell cordovan in some respects, it is thicker and tougher in other ways. Mine have been worn quite a bit over the last few months, but they live any easy life and look nearly new. I'm not trying to sell you on the HH, but you certainly shouldn't discount the leather if you are thinking about brown Semi Dress boots.
Allanpost #2097 of 95788/28/13 at 7:27ampost #2098 of 95788/28/13 at 7:30ampost #2099 of 95788/28/13 at 3:42pmpost #2100 of 95788/28/13 at 6:44pmQuote:
B-ewing would you be in the market for a $1000 pair of White's boots?
If you are, go for it, get the horse butt. HB is pretty much the king of dress leathers (you know better than I) and should be well worth it (if you have 1k to spend). I’m glad I’m getting my navy CXL SDs, but someday I really want to get them in cordovan.
SD shoes in cordovan are available hear:
- A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 3 seconds ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 3 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 6 minutes ago
- › ***The Official eBay / B&S / eShop Someone-Should-Kop Thread*** 6 minutes ago
- › Alden Whiskey Shell Cordovan Longwing Blucher 8.5D 11 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2017 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice,... 12 minutes ago
- › Ongoing Bespoke Projects 13 minutes ago
- › The Official Beer Thread 16 minutes ago
- › The Hong Kong Tailors Thread 17 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 20 minutes ago
- › Men’s The Original 3” Boxerjock® Boxer Briefs... by Alper
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...