Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- The Great Cascadia Boot Thread Last post on 2/3/16 at 4:09pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- NIB Gaziano & Girling Canterbury Balmoral Boot Shell Cordovan MH71 UK11.5E $2,200 Last post on 9/13/15 at 2:32am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- ORDER NOW! Viberg for Styleforum GMTO preorders Round1 - 2015 - Ends April 7. Last post on 2/2/16 at 4:15pm in Preorders, Group Made-to-order, trunk shows, and other collaborative efforts
- New Viberg for Styleforum GMTO makeups Last post on 11/22/15 at 4:12pm in Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
Last edited: 8/10/15
- Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.Last edited: 2/9/16
- Stocking Stuffers for Your Favorite Denim HeadLast edited: 12/6/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts? - Page 140
Styleforum Top Pickspost #2087 of 80188/27/13 at 8:19ampost #2088 of 80188/27/13 at 10:05ampost #2089 of 80188/27/13 at 11:12ampost #2090 of 80188/27/13 at 12:21pm
You know my steeze!
I was all geared up for the British tan with a cap toe, but just purchased the Alden x J Crew Barrie shell boots so now I'm thinking I want my SDs with a plain toe. And I've seen killer pics of well patina'd plain toe brown dress SDs... So I'm just plain confused.post #2091 of 80188/27/13 at 1:21pmpost #2092 of 80188/27/13 at 3:42pm
The dress brown leather ages really nicely and is a White’s original leather that they have been using for a super long time.
But on the other hand Konadog’s SDs in British tan have a really wonderful rich color that from the pictures seems more dynamic then the dress brown.
I suppose I would go for the British tan, but then again the horse hide is also very nice.
Oh he*l, they are all nice, just compromise and buy one of each or close your eyes and point.post #2093 of 80188/27/13 at 4:20pmpost #2094 of 80188/27/13 at 4:58pmQuote:
Generally, dark brown gets more use than tan, in my book. Although they are both essential.
The only caveat is that White's dark brown is REALLY dark brown, like almost black.
A brown CXL that has more mid tones would make a good third option.post #2095 of 80188/27/13 at 5:25pmGood observation, Meso. Basically confirms my suspicions, as well as reaffirms my obsession with getting both
Would jump on the horsehide if it were horse strip (aka horse butt), but I'm guessing its not because it's not advertised as such (right?).
Most likely going to wear these with my new A2
Perhaps the British tan is too matchy? Or maybe it's "just right" matchy?post #2096 of 80188/27/13 at 7:18pmB-Ewing,
The brown horsehide is amazing. I've had lots of shell cordovan shoes throughout my life, and the HH is not even close to the same, but it is still nothing short of spectacular leather. I have seen all the leathers you are considering, and the HH looks better than any of them in my opinion. The Brown Dress is as dressy, and the British Tan is beautiful, but neither of them have the depth or character of the HH. The color of the HH is somewhere between the two others and it is slightly mottled -- just enough to add that depth and character I described, not enough to look odd. The added price of the HH is not too high, especially for what you get. While not as durable as shell cordovan in some respects, it is thicker and tougher in other ways. Mine have been worn quite a bit over the last few months, but they live any easy life and look nearly new. I'm not trying to sell you on the HH, but you certainly shouldn't discount the leather if you are thinking about brown Semi Dress boots.
Allanpost #2097 of 80188/28/13 at 7:27ampost #2098 of 80188/28/13 at 7:30ampost #2099 of 80188/28/13 at 3:42pmpost #2100 of 80188/28/13 at 6:44pmQuote:
B-ewing would you be in the market for a $1000 pair of White's boots?
If you are, go for it, get the horse butt. HB is pretty much the king of dress leathers (you know better than I) and should be well worth it (if you have 1k to spend). I’m glad I’m getting my navy CXL SDs, but someday I really want to get them in cordovan.
SD shoes in cordovan are available hear:
- Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts?
Styleforum Top Picks
- Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 24 seconds ago
- › Trump is #2 in GOP Field 54 seconds ago
- › Vicuna Topcoat? 1 minute ago
- › Gustin - Official Affiliate Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 2 minutes ago
- › Crockett & Jones MTO Central 5 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 5 minutes ago
- › Help for a gift! 5 minutes ago
- › Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata 5 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 5 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Can I get the toe of my leather shoes...
- › How to clean antique brass hooks and eyelets...
- › How to start cleaning and shining fine...
- › What tools do you need to get burnish your...
- › Using a suede protector spray on regular...
- › Does the Groom Need to Stick Out from the...
- › What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?
- › Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
- › Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Can I Wear a Black Suit to an Evening Wedding?