Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- The Great Cascadia Boot Thread Last post on 4/5/16 at 9:15am in Streetwear and Denim
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- NIB Gaziano & Girling Canterbury Balmoral Boot Shell Cordovan MH71 UK11.5E $2,200 Last post on 9/13/15 at 2:32am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- ORDER NOW! Viberg for Styleforum GMTO preorders Round1 - 2015 - Ends April 7. Last post on 2/2/16 at 4:15pm in Preorders, Group Made-to-order, trunk shows, and other collaborative efforts
- New Viberg for Styleforum GMTO makeups Last post on 11/22/15 at 4:12pm in Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
Last edited: 8/10/15
- A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOsLast edited: 5/24/16
- Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.Last edited: 2/9/16
- Stocking Stuffers for Your Favorite Denim HeadLast edited: 12/6/15
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts? - Page 133post #1982 of 82418/12/13 at 10:03amQuote:Originally Posted by bl@ster
Pics will be posted 1 by 1 because I'm going to sell a lot of them. So if you measure an 11.5D and wear White's in 11D you're in luck!
Listed one pair so far:
Wow, you've got some great footwear for sale ! I would so love to take the brown Bison White's , but I'm at the 6 week mark on a pair of Semi Dress in natural CXL. I had a hard time deciding which leather to go with, the Bison was on the list but the CXL won out. After seeing your pics I hope I'm not disappointed with my decision.
Also until I get my new ones I'm not sure what size I am in them. My current Semi Dress , I was told are size 11's. I bought them on Ebay pre owned. I don't see anything about size in them but they fit great. I normally wear a size 10.5 to 11. When I sent my tracings to Baker's they got back to me saying I was more like a size 10.. which I haven't worn in years. So hopefully these new boots are not too big.post #1983 of 82418/12/13 at 11:56ampost #1984 of 82418/12/13 at 6:45pmpost #1985 of 82418/12/13 at 7:24pmpost #1986 of 82418/12/13 at 10:02pmpost #1987 of 82418/12/13 at 10:11pmpost #1988 of 82418/13/13 at 3:13am
Hi everyone. I really need your incomes about sizing... I sent my tracings to both White's and Baker's, they suggested different sizes... So I did it again, and it happened again... With other sizes suggested... Second time, I really took my measurments super carefully, cause I tought that I had mistaken the first time. But it ended with a 9 D for Kyle and a 10 C for White's. Any suggestions? My first move would be to follow Kyle's, for his suggestion seems the closest to my usual one (I usually wear a 9.5 in Timberland boots), and you guys all post about his good service. Thanks for your help!post #1989 of 82418/13/13 at 3:52am
10D suggested by Whites, 9 1/2 by Bakers and fit comfortably into a 9D. They all err on the side of caution - it`s easier to tell you to wear a thicker sock, quite understandable, but no comparison to really trying them on. Another suggestion would be to try a more common boot, and get others to compare here - Today I fitted into a Redwing 9, so by my count these compare - but honestly there are many variables...post #1990 of 82418/13/13 at 7:15amThat's a tough one. Like Daizawaguy recommends above, if you can try on some other common boots (eg Alden Indys, Red Wing Beckmans, Wolverine 1000 mile), and then let Kyle know how you fit in those, he can make a more informed recommendation. In the end though, I'd probably go with Kyle's recommendation, if only because of Bakers' guaranteed fit program. If they recommend one size, you don't get it and the boots don't end up fitting you, you may be screwed!post #1991 of 82418/13/13 at 9:38am
Fit is always a personal thing. Every pair of off-the-shelf boots I've ever owned I wear a 9.5D. I measure 9.5D any time I get measured. Here's the problem though - when you get into companies that have different lasts, those standards go out the window. My foot feels most comfortable with a little room in the toe box. I don't like the sides pinching at all. I tried Redwing GTs on in a Nordstrom and 9.5D my feet were swimming. I tried 9s and they were better but still didn't feel right. I ended up getting White's SDs in 9.5D and they're exactly the way I like them - a bit of room in the toe box with no pinch, but no heel slip. Very much like I get my sneakers (9.5 or 10E).
But so much depends on how your specific foot shape fits in a given shoe - since everyone's feet are slightly different. And, everyone's preference for fit is slightly different.
Similarly, when I buy AE shoes - generic advice tends to go out the window. I buy a 5-last shoe and I get 9.5E and that's the best fit. Some people say you have to drop down a size or up a size - not me. All in all, if you never wear a 10 in any other type of shoe, I can't see it for a SD. If you wear 9.5D for everything else then 9 for snug or 9.5 for a bit loose (since these boots will be a little looser than off-the-rack timberlands) is the way to go.post #1992 of 82418/13/13 at 1:21pmSo I've been lurking here for a while, and have now read all 2,058 posts on this thread. I'd like to thank you all for the wealth of information & images; you've convinced me to invest. My Redwing 'Gentleman Travelers' (style# 9013) are about to bite the dust after three years of near-daily wear, two resolings, and one climb up an active volcano - the heels are loosening, but the leather around the ball of each foot is badly cracked (I discovered Obenauf's too late in the game) & I'd rather invest the money into a new, custom pair of boots than pay to get these resoled yet again only to have the lower fail completely.
I generally wear a size 12D, but judging from the distortion in both my GTs & steel-toed work boots (Redwing #3508) I think I'm on the outside edge of that width. So it might be good to go for an E, or try the #38 swing last on a pair of White's Semi-Dress.
As for specs, what I'm leaning toward now is-
-brown horsehide upper, lower, vamp, etc.
-no toe cap
-no celastic toe box
-no steel toe
-rollover top edge
-antique eyes with speed hooks
-Vibram 430 sole
-Cuban heel, standard height
These are for everyday wear in four seasons of Chicago weather, with occasional off-road travel, forest hikes, & jaunts to Europe or rural Latin America. I walk & bike everywhere - haven't owned a car since '99 - so my shoes see a lot more (ab)use than those of the average American. I like the idea of a boot I can clean up for a dressier occasion, but form will be following function here.
I want the full Vibram composite sole as the half-sole on my GTs seemed to allow some major leather sole damage when salty snow came around (I usually wear Bean Boots in the snow, but getting caught out in winter weather here is inevitable). And no celastic so that the toe box will conform to my foot better for greater comfort - plan on putting many miles on these.
A few questions for you all-
a) Do White's affiliated dealers offer measuring for custom boots? Since we're talking near $500 here, I'd rather have the pros gauge my size than submit a trace for guessing. Unfortunately I see no trips to Spokane in my near future.
b) Can the Semi-Dress on a Swing Last be built to a height of 7" of 8"? (or conversely, can Bounty Hunters be built on a Swing Last?).
c) Can Bounty Hunters be made from brown Horse Hide?
d) Anyone have long-term experience with White's horsehide? How does it hold up?post #1993 of 82418/14/13 at 4:18ampost #1994 of 82418/14/13 at 5:25ampost #1995 of 82418/14/13 at 5:32am
- A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread 4 minutes ago
- › LOAKE APPRECIATION & SHOE P0RN THREAD 4 minutes ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 5 minutes ago
- › Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)? 10 minutes ago
- › Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll... 14 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 18 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 20 minutes ago
- › What did you eat last night for dinner? 21 minutes ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 24 minutes ago
- › NBA 2015-2016 Season Thread 28 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Sage de Cret Green Jacquard Wool Linen Blazer by robxznyc
- › Gerani Corduroy Slim Straight Pants Yellow by robxznyc
- › Luigi Bianchi Rough Heavy Cotton Twill Blazer Yellow by robxznyc
- › Sage de Cret Patchwork Wool Bomber Jacket by robxznyc
- › WLG by Giorgio Brato Brown Nubuck Bomber Leather Jacket by robxznyc
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding
- › What to Wear to (Almost) Any Wedding