Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- The Great Cascadia Boot Thread Last post on 7/31/15 at 10:19am in Streetwear and Denim
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- NIB Gaziano & Girling Canterbury Balmoral Boot Shell Cordovan MH71 UK11.5E $2,200 Last post on 8/4/15 at 11:58pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- ORDER NOW! Viberg for Styleforum GMTO preorders Round1 - 2015 - Ends April 7. Last post on Yesterday at 2:24 pm in Preorders, Group Made-to-order, trunk shows, and other collaborative efforts
- New Viberg for Styleforum GMTO makeups Last post on 5/2/15 at 9:40pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts? - Page 133
Styleforum Top Picks
Pics will be posted 1 by 1 because I'm going to sell a lot of them. So if you measure an 11.5D and wear White's in 11D you're in luck!
Listed one pair so far:
Wow, you've got some great footwear for sale ! I would so love to take the brown Bison White's , but I'm at the 6 week mark on a pair of Semi Dress in natural CXL. I had a hard time deciding which leather to go with, the Bison was on the list but the CXL won out. After seeing your pics I hope I'm not disappointed with my decision.
Also until I get my new ones I'm not sure what size I am in them. My current Semi Dress , I was told are size 11's. I bought them on Ebay pre owned. I don't see anything about size in them but they fit great. I normally wear a size 10.5 to 11. When I sent my tracings to Baker's they got back to me saying I was more like a size 10.. which I haven't worn in years. So hopefully these new boots are not too big.
Hi everyone. I really need your incomes about sizing... I sent my tracings to both White's and Baker's, they suggested different sizes... So I did it again, and it happened again... With other sizes suggested... Second time, I really took my measurments super carefully, cause I tought that I had mistaken the first time. But it ended with a 9 D for Kyle and a 10 C for White's. Any suggestions? My first move would be to follow Kyle's, for his suggestion seems the closest to my usual one (I usually wear a 9.5 in Timberland boots), and you guys all post about his good service. Thanks for your help!
10D suggested by Whites, 9 1/2 by Bakers and fit comfortably into a 9D. They all err on the side of caution - it`s easier to tell you to wear a thicker sock, quite understandable, but no comparison to really trying them on. Another suggestion would be to try a more common boot, and get others to compare here - Today I fitted into a Redwing 9, so by my count these compare - but honestly there are many variables...
Fit is always a personal thing. Every pair of off-the-shelf boots I've ever owned I wear a 9.5D. I measure 9.5D any time I get measured. Here's the problem though - when you get into companies that have different lasts, those standards go out the window. My foot feels most comfortable with a little room in the toe box. I don't like the sides pinching at all. I tried Redwing GTs on in a Nordstrom and 9.5D my feet were swimming. I tried 9s and they were better but still didn't feel right. I ended up getting White's SDs in 9.5D and they're exactly the way I like them - a bit of room in the toe box with no pinch, but no heel slip. Very much like I get my sneakers (9.5 or 10E).
But so much depends on how your specific foot shape fits in a given shoe - since everyone's feet are slightly different. And, everyone's preference for fit is slightly different.
Similarly, when I buy AE shoes - generic advice tends to go out the window. I buy a 5-last shoe and I get 9.5E and that's the best fit. Some people say you have to drop down a size or up a size - not me. All in all, if you never wear a 10 in any other type of shoe, I can't see it for a SD. If you wear 9.5D for everything else then 9 for snug or 9.5 for a bit loose (since these boots will be a little looser than off-the-rack timberlands) is the way to go.
I generally wear a size 12D, but judging from the distortion in both my GTs & steel-toed work boots (Redwing #3508) I think I'm on the outside edge of that width. So it might be good to go for an E, or try the #38 swing last on a pair of White's Semi-Dress.
As for specs, what I'm leaning toward now is-
-brown horsehide upper, lower, vamp, etc.
-no toe cap
-no celastic toe box
-no steel toe
-rollover top edge
-antique eyes with speed hooks
-Vibram 430 sole
-Cuban heel, standard height
These are for everyday wear in four seasons of Chicago weather, with occasional off-road travel, forest hikes, & jaunts to Europe or rural Latin America. I walk & bike everywhere - haven't owned a car since '99 - so my shoes see a lot more (ab)use than those of the average American. I like the idea of a boot I can clean up for a dressier occasion, but form will be following function here.
I want the full Vibram composite sole as the half-sole on my GTs seemed to allow some major leather sole damage when salty snow came around (I usually wear Bean Boots in the snow, but getting caught out in winter weather here is inevitable). And no celastic so that the toe box will conform to my foot better for greater comfort - plan on putting many miles on these.
A few questions for you all-
a) Do White's affiliated dealers offer measuring for custom boots? Since we're talking near $500 here, I'd rather have the pros gauge my size than submit a trace for guessing. Unfortunately I see no trips to Spokane in my near future.
b) Can the Semi-Dress on a Swing Last be built to a height of 7" of 8"? (or conversely, can Bounty Hunters be built on a Swing Last?).
c) Can Bounty Hunters be made from brown Horse Hide?
d) Anyone have long-term experience with White's horsehide? How does it hold up?
- Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts?
Styleforum Top Picks
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, EG, GG, Bonafe, Saint Crispin's -... 1 minute ago
- › EIDOS NAPOLI SILK/WOOL SPORT COAT 38/48 3 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 4 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 5 minutes ago
- › Double Breasted Style. 6 minutes ago
- › Carmina Shoes - Official Affiliate Thread 7 minutes ago
- › ***The Official Dior Homme Thread*** 10 minutes ago
- › Meermin Mallorca Shoes 14 minutes ago
- › The Official Thrift Thread Maker Label Guide 16 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 18 minutes ago
- › Human Scales Braided Dark Brown Belt by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Carlos Red Stripe Sweater by Mrvaerk
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Announcing the winner of the Kent Wang...
- › Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
- › Mohair: A Little-Known Hot-Weather Cloth
- › The Myth of the Nice Guy: Baseball’s...
- › Three Gin Cocktails for Summertime
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015