Here's a picture of my three month old SD in dress brown leather. You can see the area that "peeled" back and had to be glued after a light scrape against something when they were less then a week old. I've read how tough this leather is and was wondering if the dress brown is more prone to this then other "softer" leathers or maybe the leather needed to relax as they were so new. I haven't seen mention of this so I thought I'd share.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- The Great Cascadia Boot Thread Last post on 10/26/15 at 8:17am in Streetwear and Denim
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- NIB Gaziano & Girling Canterbury Balmoral Boot Shell Cordovan MH71 UK11.5E $2,200 Last post on 9/13/15 at 2:32am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- ORDER NOW! Viberg for Styleforum GMTO preorders Round1 - 2015 - Ends April 7. Last post on 10/28/15 at 1:21am in Preorders, Group Made-to-order, trunk shows, and other collaborative efforts
- New Viberg for Styleforum GMTO makeups Last post on 11/22/15 at 4:12pm in Streetwear and Denim
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- H.N. White
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Wurkin Stiffs
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts? - Page 111
Styleforum Top Picks
Rok -- Sorry about that cut. I've had that happen before and hated it. I think it was more bad fortune than a problem with the leather, but what do I know? I don't think the oiled leather would have been as fragile.
Climbing -- Love those boots. They look almost perfect after two years. Better than new, even.
Edited by Okal - 6/17/13 at 6:48pm
Thank you for your reply. I didn't get anywhere near that level of detail after trying on the whites that bakers shipped. I was very concerned about how they fit in the heel as my feet were swimming in them and not even touching the back until they lifted mid step up that rear curve. The response was to just order a swing last in a c width and they would break in, which I didn't think sounded right. I am hopefully getting a pair of Allen Edmonds made, should find out this week, and they would fulfill my boot needs for the time being. If the AE's fall through I may pursue the whites further, including a possible trip to Spokane. Thank you again for responding. I really hope you get some great boots that fit you perfectly.
I'm glad I got great service in custom fitting my SDs, and sorry you got something less. The advice you got on the swing last may very well be correct because that was initially what I intended to do until pursuaded otherwise by the folks at White's. At least the people I spoke with there did not seem as enamoured with the swing last. I will let you know how my boots end up fitting. Hopefully, VERY WELL, since the process has been time consuming and expensive and will only be worthwhile if I really like the boots and get an outstanding fit that is comfortable for all-day wear. If this works for me, then it ought to work well for you too, because we both seem to have similar feet, other than the symmetry of mine versus yours. I should have my HH boots within the next couple of weeks, so if you decide to wait on the Allen Edmonds, I may have some experience with the White's on my feet before long. I hope they are great and fit me perfectly too. I will know soon.
AT83 and Allen
I'm in no way discounting Bakers; they seem to provide a high level of service.
But I personally do not understand why a guy wouldn't just trace his foot and deal directly with Whites, if that is who's boot your buying? Specially if you have special needs in a last or at minimum concerns about needing a custom fit.
I have been dealing with Whites directly for over 15 years and have had nothing but top shelf service.My feet are significantly different enough that my left foot (due to a bad accident) requires some custom tooling. I have my 3rd pair of Whites on order as we speak, and although they have built (2) other pairs for me; I feel my feet and my hard earned money are worth waiting a little extra time for Whites to look at my current tracings and decide what would fit best.
I have not been to Spokane to the retail center, so I cannot personally speak to that segment of the business. It's a bummer to hear another person on this thread had a bad experience in person.
Your AE's will likely be awesome too!
But if you are truly interested in Whites, I recommend following the old style procedure they have and deal "directly" with Whites.
I had the benefit of both Baker's and White's looking at my tracings and measurements, so I don't believe I sacrificed anything by going through Baker's. The boots Baker's sent for me to try on were a big help, especially because I am somewhat between sizes and have a low instep that requires some adjustments in the fitting. As long as the fit is perfect on the first pair of boots, I don't suppose it makes any difference whether you go through White's directly as opposed to ordering though Baker's, but I have seen enough people who didn't get a good fit through White's and had to deal with that issue on their next order. That's what happened to me with Russell's, and my first pair never fit properly. I'm glad you got a good fit right off the bat. Hopefully, I will too by going through Baker's. If I do, my first pair of White's won't be my last.
B-Ewing -- I think you may be right. Baker's told me they would take care of me on the fit.
Edited by Okal - 6/19/13 at 10:32pm
- Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts?
Styleforum Top Picks
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 41 seconds ago
- › COMMON PROJECTS ORIGINAL ACHILLES MID - SIZE 42 - BLACK GRAIN LEATHER 1 minute ago
- › John Lobb Appreciation Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Club Monaco: Adventures in decent clothing and horrible marketing 4 minutes ago
- › Meermin Mallorca Shoes 5 minutes ago
- › Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread 6 minutes ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 6 minutes ago
- › Show us how you roll in Engineered Garments 7 minutes ago
- › Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or... 8 minutes ago
- › Heavy smartphones and suits/sports jackets 8 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Christopher Ward C60 Trident Pro Auto by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Braided Dark Brown Belt by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Carlos Red Stripe Sweater by Mrvaerk
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › The Huckberry x Styleforum Holiday Gift Guide
- › In Passing: Style on the Streets of Toronto
- › Black Friday 2015: The Styleforum Sales List
- › How to Build an Amazing Work Wardrobe for $1200
- › Gifts for the Stylish Man
- › The Best of The Proper Kit in N.Y.C.
- › On the Road: Shop the Styleforum x No Man...
- › On the Road: Styleforum x No Man Walks Alone
- › An Interview with G. Bruce Boyer
- › The 2015 Buyer's Guide: Accessories