or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Underrated US Cities
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Underrated US Cities - Page 15

post #211 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Atlanta is overrated by every black person in America.

Not by the gay black men
post #212 of 237
Just about every city mentioned in this thread was a bombed-out shit hole within living memory (North) or had untold numbers of termite-and-cockroach-ridden, moldy, wood-frame residences listing from neglect (South). Today's cool bar district is tomorrow's skid row. If you want your baby to grow up to be a homosexual prostitute (or panderer or John), why put on a pretense of interest in culture and arts? Just move to Las Vegas and be done with it.

I took a visitor friend around San Francisco the other day and noted that the Mission District gentrified over the last decade. It used to be the 24-hour hangout of tens of thousands of hypodermic-drug users. Haight-Ashbury long since became a tourist trap. The Johns get so familiar with their favorite seedy hangouts that they move there! They find it quite convenient to keep an apartment close to the action. The Johns follow the whores to the next shit hole, and the next, and the next. It's a real-estate racket that's guaranteed to improve property values. Restaurants and boutiques soon follow. When other areas are more lucrative, the formerly-hip neighborhood falls back into decay. (Social consciousness, for landlords, is in direct proportion to profitability.)

What need be for gentleman's clothes and gentleman's manners if you're going to follow the herd of un-self-conscious scoundrels?
post #213 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
Just about every city mentioned in this thread was a bombed-out shit hole within living memory (North) or had untold numbers of termite-and-cockroach-ridden, moldy, wood-frame residences listing from neglect (South). Today's cool bar district is tomorrow's skid row. If you want your baby to grow up to be a homosexual prostitute (or panderer or John), why put on a pretense of interest in culture and arts? Just move to Las Vegas and be done with it.

I took a visitor friend around San Francisco the other day and noted that the Mission District gentrified over the last decade. It used to be the 24-hour hangout of tens of thousands of hypodermic-drug users. Haight-Ashbury long since became a tourist trap. The Johns get so familiar with their favorite seedy hangouts that they move there! They find it quite convenient to keep an apartment close to the action. The Johns follow the whores to the next shit hole, and the next, and the next. It's a real-estate racket that's guaranteed to improve property values. Restaurants and boutiques soon follow. When other areas are more lucrative, the formerly-hip neighborhood falls back into decay. (Social consciousness, for landlords, is in direct proportion to profitability.)

What need be for gentleman's clothes and gentleman's manners if you're going to follow the herd of un-self-conscious scoundrels?

That's great and all, but where would you live?
post #214 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt22616 View Post
I'm not surprised no one's mentioned it yet, but Charleston, West Virginia is beautiful. Anyone else been there? I was only there for a day, and could definitely see how it could get boring. Other than that I'd say that Birmingham, AL and Montgomery, AL are both underrated.
I'm pretty sure they still hang blacks in WV

And subsist on coal and moonshine

Not certain but I don't want to put my neck on the line
post #215 of 237
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr monty View Post
Not by the gay black men

They rate it exactly as they should: Mecca.
post #216 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan View Post
That's great and all, but where would you live?

Tijuana.
post #217 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Planner View Post
I love Portland, Maine. I used to date a girl who's dad lived out there and I kept dating her longer than I should have because I loved visiting that area so much. The downtown is nice and compact, has some great restaurants, and a surprising art scene for a city its size.
I spent an evening in Portland and enjoyed it a lot. Walked around: bought some pottery form a gallery that does some awesome crystalline stuff, drooled in some estate jewelry stores, liked that the kitchen/housewares stores also had wine, had a good scotch in a little bar, then had a good dinner. Missed out on going to the museum, but I'd definitely enjoy going back. ~ H
post #218 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargersfan View Post
Louisville KY


+1.
post #219 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Planner View Post
I love Portland, Maine. I used to date a girl who's dad lived out there and I kept dating her longer than I should have because I loved visiting that area so much. The downtown is nice and compact, has some great restaurants, and a surprising art scene for a city its size.



Portland is a beautiful city in the summer. I went to a few good live music venues there as well.
post #220 of 237
today i saw a thing that was like the 5 most miserable cities in the US. Stockton, Modesto, Merced, and Sacramento were all on the list. my town is in the middle of stockton and modesto, which are in the middle of merced and sacramento... fuckin hell lol
post #221 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by connor View Post
today i saw a thing that was like the 5 most miserable cities in the US. Stockton, Modesto, Merced, and Sacramento were all on the list. my town is in the middle of stockton and modesto, which are in the middle of merced and sacramento... fuckin hell lol

America's top miserable cities (pretty BS IMO )

1. Stockton, CA
2. Miami, FL
3. Merced, CA
4. Modesto, CA
5. Sacramento, CA
6. Memphis, TN
7. Chicago, IL
8. West Palm Beach, FL
9. Vallejo, CA
10. Cleveland, OH
11. Flint, MI
12. Toledo, OH
13. Fort Lauderdale, FL
14. Youngstown, OH
15. Detroit, MI
16. Washington, D.C.
17. Fresno, CA
18. Salinas, CA
19. Jacksonville, FL
20. Bakersfield, CA

Source: Forbes.
post #222 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by onix View Post
America's top miserable cities (pretty BS IMO )

1. Stockton, CA
2. Miami, FL
3. Merced, CA
4. Modesto, CA
5. Sacramento, CA
6. Memphis, TN
7. Chicago, IL
8. West Palm Beach, FL
9. Vallejo, CA
10. Cleveland, OH
11. Flint, MI
12. Toledo, OH
13. Fort Lauderdale, FL
14. Youngstown, OH
15. Detroit, MI
16. Washington, D.C.
17. Fresno, CA
18. Salinas, CA
19. Jacksonville, FL
20. Bakersfield, CA

Source: Forbes.

lolwut
post #223 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt22616 View Post
lolwut

Exactly, WTF?
post #224 of 237
Chicago, Washington DC, Fort Lauderdale, Miami, Sacramento, and probably a few others make no sense being on that list.
post #225 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiecollector View Post
Chicago, Washington DC, Fort Lauderdale, Miami, Sacramento, and probably a few others make no sense being on that list.

I love Miami, but when you get away from the handful of nice areas, the poverty is pretty bad . The weather's nice though, and I love the culture. Washington DC is similar. The average Georgetown resident is probably very happy. The average Anacostian, probably not. FTL just sucks. Not quite as poor as Miami, but very scattered, culturally speaking.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Underrated US Cities