or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Items You Only Buy Once
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Items You Only Buy Once - Page 4

post #46 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDC2823 View Post
Tools.

yeah: about that. Wait until you get married and have a son. Then come back to me and tell me you only buy tools once. Maybe once after you get a locking tool chest with only one key.
post #47 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
yeah: about that. Wait until you get married and have a son. Then come back to me and tell me you only buy tools once. Maybe once after you get a locking tool chest with only one key.

Hahaha, I still "borrow" my dad's tools all the time. He doesn't really mind since he has 4 of almost everything, at least.
post #48 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
even though it feels inappropriate.
We had to ask the coffin salesman to leave the room. It was our first laugh in many weeks. Life goes on.

But I think the salesman thought were were the Addams family.
post #49 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSS View Post
We have them from tiny to very large. My professional chef (well cook) uses them.

are you renzo piano? how in god's name can you afford all the crap you have? i was under the impression that most architects made pauper's earnings.
post #50 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian View Post
Hahaha, I still "borrow" my dad's tools all the time. He doesn't really mind since he has 4 of almost everything, at least.

Once every few months I go into a binge/frenzy grabbing all the tools out of the house and putting them back in their proper places. I can usually find the screwdriver and tape measure near any recently-hung pictures - because she uses the screwdriver to mark the spot where the nail goes in... and then drives the nail in with the tape measure. The hammers she can never find because she left them with the paint cans that she hammered shut, and opened with the chisels.

I have a titanium hammer that I keep hidden and only use when I'm sure no one is watching or will stumble upon it. I'm sure they'd use it to re-level the paver stones on the side of the driveway, and then I'd be
post #51 of 66
a concert violin, you buy it once for a few reasons:
1. Expense-if you are a musician you earn shit for wages, a good violin is at least $30K, if you are lucky. If you are a soloist or in a "better" orchestra, you move into the $100K+ world.
2. You become very connected to your violin and really dont want to play on anything else.
3. You get used to the idosychratic ways of your violin and really cant play as well on anything else.
4. A number of violinists have a sound that is unique because of above, further making a different violin out of the question.
post #52 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by mharwitt View Post
are you renzo piano?
No ... although I have liked much of his work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mharwitt View Post
how in god's name can you afford all the crap you have?
Are you speaking of the cast iron skillets? They belonged to Grandmama ... so did the cash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mharwitt View Post
i was under the impression that most architects made pauper's earnings.
I don't know about that. In the early years perhaps ... but if one builds the right client base ... well ...
post #53 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSS View Post
quality furniture good art grand piano (Bösendorfer) harpsichord (Flemish Double-manual) pipe organ (Flentrop) or Hammond B3 well made carpets (of the "Oriental" variety) luggage (Hermes) an apartment at 740 Park Avenue (w/ side street entrance)
Have those The place at 740 Park would be nice
post #54 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouttsClient View Post
Have those

The place at 740 Park would be nice
The other's I have ... the place at 740 Park isn't mine ... it was just something I'd buy only once.

I'm not sure I'll ever have the liquid assets they require to obtain board approval. Last I heard it was over $100M ... and I keep a lot of my assets in personal & income producing real estate (not liquid).
post #55 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDC2823 View Post
Tools.

When I was a poor young student, I bought some cheap tools so that I could save money by fixing something on the beat ass old car I had at the time.

I found out that cheap tools are more expensive because they break easily and require the repurchase of tools.

I have much nicer tools now. Slowly accumulated and well cared for.
post #56 of 66
if my dad buys good shit it's going in my garage...

i have one of his jacks and a bunch of pliers... a hammer i think i bought for him and some other stuff.... no shame in it. That's wat dad's are for.
post #57 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSS View Post
The other's I have ... the place at 740 Park isn't mine ... it was just something I'd buy only once.

I'm not sure I'll ever have the liquid assets they require to obtain board approval. Last I heard it was over $100M ... and I keep a lot of my assets in personal & income producing real estate (not liquid).

it's really cocky of you to keep changing your avatar to different celebrities you've slept with.
post #58 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milpool View Post
When I was a poor young student, I bought some cheap tools so that I could save money by fixing something on the beat ass old car I had at the time.

I found out that cheap tools are more expensive because they break easily and require the repurchase of tools.

I have much nicer tools now. Slowly accumulated and well cared for.

Reminds me of nicer, quality clothing.
post #59 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by mharwitt View Post
it's really cocky of you to keep changing your avatar to different celebrities you've slept with.
As a recent one was Eton schoolboys ... I assure you that is not the case. At least I won't admit it. I don't particularly care for the accommodations of prison ... not even those referred to as "country club" facilities.
post #60 of 66
Good umbrella. If you're careful.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Items You Only Buy Once