or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › NY Times Article on StyleForum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NY Times Article on StyleForum - Page 3

post #31 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post
No, I didn't start it, J. did. I was a Johnny come lately. If you look at the user list and look at join dates, you'll see that I hesitated a full month before I joined. There are a couple of posters still active who predate me. Essentially, J started the site because a bunch of us were posting on the GQ forums, didn't like it, and he was the only one with both the motivation and the technical ability, to start his own forum. Several dozen of us migrated to the new site. And that's how it all started. More bedtime stories later. If you are all good, maybe we'll talk about the Frenchman with the oversized suits tomorrow. Or about Manton's early skirmishes with the son of an African dictator (for real.) Or about the Australian who drank pee and was universally ignored for a few months before he realized it.

+1
post #32 of 171
In recent years, popular culture has made much of the urban woman's affinity for Manolo Blahniks and other variants of the $515 stiletto. But such a woman is unlikely to spend hours of her life on the Internet discussing the construction techniques used in the sole of her pump with a global sisterhood of luxury-goods consumers.

Gold.
post #33 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post
Or about the Australian who drank pee and was universally ignored for a few months before he realized it.
Oh. MAn. This is gonna be my sig on FNB if I get the OK from Fok
post #34 of 171
U guys failed to mention teh Geek
post #35 of 171
It makes sense now why many OG members names incorporate "GQ"
post #36 of 171
Must... hear... stories!!!!!
post #37 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post

That is interesting. I'm member #1014 or something like that, and I'm happy some of the older posts are lost to posterity...
post #38 of 171
Its interesting. Check out this: http://www.styleforum.net/member.php?u=1 That gives you an idea of the initial setup. When you change the number to 2 you get a different member etc. I remember when the NYT article hit and membership shot up. Used to be that a post stayed on the home page for days. Thats all changed. The Australian Guy was Marc37 I believe, (Not to be confused with Marc237). He prided himself in knocking down a woman store owner who dissed him and additionally posted anti Semitic comments regularly.
post #39 of 171
Just to let you old-timers know, in the years to come we're going to rewrite the history and the story of SF's creation so that it's more mythical. Something along the lines of:

In the beginning, there were Brinkman and Fok. Sailors first discovered the pair floating among the flotsam of the Catherina von Flensburg, bespoked-clothed with matching pocket squares. Knowing these two to be a gift from the fashion gods, Brinkman and Fok were taken by freighter to London and then Paris and Italy, where they studied under the tutelage of the great masters. Upon completion of their studies, they were told to spread the word of sartorialism. In pursuit of this goal, they founded this Forvm. All praise the names of Brinkman and Fok.
post #40 of 171
Kewl...Tokyo Slim and I Joined the same day one after the other in fact. I have 2900 posts and he has.....
post #41 of 171
I've never seen that article before... Spoo, thanks for posting it.

-LR
post #42 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIHTies View Post
Kewl...Tokyo Slim and I Joined the same day one after the other in fact. I have 2900 posts and he has.....


Superior arguing skills!
post #43 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim View Post
Superior arguing skills!

Quite the contrary...Had you had superiour arguing skills you would have been able to accomplish much more with much less!


post #44 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIHTies View Post
Quite the contrary...Had you had superiour arguing skills you would have been able to accomplish much more with much less!



Hmm... interesting point. I think though, that what you claim is patently impossible. You assume the people that are being argued with, will wilt in the face of logic, reason, and correctness. I find the opposite to be true - it just emboldens them to flaunt their idiocy even more.
post #45 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post
Or about the Australian who drank pee and was universally ignored for a few months before he realized it.

Yes, that Shoo-ie on FNB is a number one A-hole. He's demonstrated time and time again he knows nothing. Bet he was raised in the Outback.

Speaking of Outback - just went to Outback Steakhouse the other week for the first time in about 10 years. Place is actually pretty good.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › NY Times Article on StyleForum