• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do I make myself look taller and slimmer?

IamKris

Reaction score
I'm Asian 5'10" in height and a bit slightly overweight. What colors, clothing combinations will make me seem taller and slimmer? I need to attend a convention next weekend
boxing[1].gif
Oh, forgot to mention I don't want to wear high heel shoes >.<

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IamKris
I'm Asian 5'10" in height and a bit slightly overweight. What colors, clothing combinations will make me seem taller and slimmer? I need to attend a convention next weekend
boxing[1].gif

Oh, forgot to mention I don't want to wear high heel shoes >.<

A bit short to lose some weight but in one week you can shed a few pounds...

Pinstripes on dark suits will help...

IamKris

Reaction score
Are pinstripes Vertical or Horizontal? I feel stupid

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Too short? Try one of these:
A_Torture_Rack.jpg

Too fat? Try one of these:
pilates-machines.jpg

I'm just bitter that you complain about being a short Asian when you're already 5'10". Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Dark suits help, along with trying to eliminate as many horizontal lines as possible such as wearing hoops, and big ass pant cuffs and excessive pant break.

And wear higher heel shoes. Not lady heels. Even men's shoes have different heel heights.

IamKris

Reaction score
Sorry
frown.gif
I'm going to a convention full of Americans so I guess I'll be one of the shortest there. I'm not really actually sure what's tall/short in the US.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whatever you do, please don't do the spiked hair thing.
Spiky-hair-style.jpg
5'-10" is not considered short. You need do nothing. Enjoy the convention.

IamKris

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
Whatever you do, please don't do the spiked hair thing.

Spiky-hair-style.jpg

5'-10" is not considered short. You need do nothing. Enjoy the convention.

Thank you very much for the kind words.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Geez...no Ali G fans????
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. On a serious note, pinstripes will work to elongate. Stay away from double breasted which will square you out. There are many threads on the topic. Howevvr as 5'10" is not short I suspect that your concern is the weight which is always hard to cover up short of excercise and less eating.

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IamKris
Sorry
frown.gif
I'm going to a convention full of Americans so I guess I'll be one of the shortest there. I'm not really actually sure what's tall/short in the US.

You may not actually be 5'10'' if you've found yourself short compared to Americans... 5'10'' is dead average among US white males, and because of statistical outliers in the very tall range, you'll probably be one of the 'tallish' people there at that height. If you were going to the Netherlands where the male average is 6'2'', then you'd have a reason to be concerned. Otherwise, you can put about 3/4'' inserts in most shoes without messing up their wearability if you're really worried about it... but truth be told confidence, i.e. not giving a sh-t, will make up for any faults in bodytype.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sazerac
This is the answer to 99% of life's questions.

I got 99 problems but a Fez ain't one.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are plenty tall enough. Pinstripes or chalkstripes will elongate you, especially in a dark color.

I am an inch shorter than you are.

Not sure if I agree with the negative effect of a DB and cuffs , although they are "traditionally" height reducers.

WildCard-1.JPG

Mike

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads