• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How long after interview?

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
I had an interview a few days ago for a lateral position. I met with seven people over five hours. I felt it went pretty well and that my best interviews were with the more important people (group head and senior advisor. A couple days later, I lost my phone and emailed HR to tell them to feel free to email me rather than call to let me know "of any decision." I have not heard back a thing yet.

Should I be concerned?

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would follow-up again on Wednesday if you hear nothing. Do you know how many people applied for the position?

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by leftover_salmon
I had an interview a few days ago for a lateral position. I met with seven people over five hours. I felt it went pretty well and that my best interviews were with the more important people (group head and senior advisor. A couple days later, I lost my phone and emailed HR to tell them to feel free to email me rather than call to let me know "of any decision." I have not heard back a thing yet.

Should I be concerned?

A few days ago?
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rugger
A few days ago?
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

They said they were looking to fill the position ASAP since someone left. But honestly, I've only been hired for one job in my life and it was within hours, so I have no idea of a typical "timetable" for offers.

BC2012

Reaction score
Originally Posted by leftover_salmon
They said they were looking to fill the position ASAP since someone left.

But honestly, I've only been hired for one job in my life and it was within hours, so I have no idea of a typical "timetable" for offers.

It can range drastically. Didn't you ask the general "when should I hear a decision regarding my candidacy" question during the interview? I would say 2 weeks is a good amount of time to wait. Some jobs take less than a week, some take months. If you had to meet with 7 people, it's likely that the hiring process for that position is highly in-depth and will take some time. "A few days" is likely not long at all.

Big T

Reaction score
Generally when I interview a candidate for a job, at the conclusion I tell them when to expect to hear from me. The follow-up can be to tell them I'm not interested, it can be follow-up questions or it can be a you got the job call. Regardless the interviewer should state the parameters of the next contact. Therefore, my opinion is if you don't here anything in seven calendar days, telephone and ask if there are any follow-up questions the interview had and also to express your continuing interest in the position.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even though you lost your phone, there should be a number you can call to check your voicemails if you are worried that maybe they called you and left you a message about the position.

MasterOfReality

Reaction score
Yeah I wouldn't stress about it.

I find its usually around 1-2 weeks before you hear back. My shortest time to hear back was in the first interview itself (phone interview with mining manager, had not even visited the site) when I was offered the job. The longest was around 2 months later when I got a call back. I had actually written this job off in my mind as I was told there were over 100 applicants.

But in all my past interviews, I have never had to ask when I should be hearing back from them - it was laid out in the interview.

brown eyes

Reaction score
If they really want you, they will call and leave a voice message. My last job called me when I was on vacation and I wasn't answering my phone at the time. So if I were you, wait a few more days and check your voice mail frequently.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Luckily, I got the "If you don't hear from us by X date..." treatment at my most recent interview.

BC2012

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Luckily, I got the "If you don't hear from us by X date..." treatment at my most recent interview.

This is fairly common, but I've always been taught to ask if you don't hear that in an interview. Some interviewers just flat out forget to mention it.

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BC2012
This is fairly common, but I've always been taught to ask if you don't hear that in an interview. Some interviewers just flat out forget to mention it.

Yeah, and I usually do. In this case, I missed my chance -- first interview was with the group head. Don't think anyone with whom I spoke after that really would've even known.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They always know or at least know the plan w/r/t the decision making process.

Usually if hiring, the position available would be discussed then the head will lay out how and when he'd hope to reach a decision. So as an interviewee anyone you meet with should be able to at least say, "we expect to make a decision by the end of next week" or "by the end of the month".

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads