• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Grenadine & Knit Tie Recommendations

DStew

Reaction score
I have been planning on purchasing a few (6-10) grenadine & knit ties. Currently I have none of either but like the style as an addition to my current tie arsenal.

I am open to different styles/colors and am interested in suggestions for merchants. I am willing to pay up to 100$ per tie but anything beyond that seems excessive to me. I am really trying to stay in the 30-80$ range.

I definitely will be trying one from Sam Hober, Kent Wang, and Howard Yount.

Any other good recommendations?

Thanks

The Thin Man

Reaction score
For grenadines, I think there's a strong case for Hober, unless there's something about the others that appeals to you. It's a complicated weave that he executes exceptionally well.

For knits, my sense is that you can go with anyone. They all seem to use the same producers, with similar results.

Matt S

Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Thin Man
For grenadines, I think there's a strong case for Hober, unless there's something about the others that appeals to you. It's a complicated weave that he executes exceptionally well.

For knits, my sense is that you can go with anyone. They all seem to use the same producers, with similar results.

Knit ties are not all the same and are knot all knit the same way. My Polo knit tie has a my different texture than my knits from BB. The Polo knit is much more interesting though the BB knits have a cleaner look. Drakes also has a different kind of knit. I've seen some really unique ones from Tom Ford. But many knit ties are the same. If you see one that you like from a cheap no-name brand and it is still made of silk (or wool) then get it. Grenadine ties will never be cheap. You are aware that grenadine ties and knit ties are not related, right?

The Thin Man

Reaction score
OK, not all the same, but it's a small pool. I recall a thread where it sounded like there were maybe three producers/suppliers. I can't find it.

To the original poster, you should know that solid grenadines are traditionally fairly formal ties, while knits are among the most casual.

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Grenadines are gorgeous. Hober does them well - but the fabric comes from the factory. As others state - he executes it well from what i've seen in images.

DStew

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I can't tell much difference in most knit ties. My cheapies from the Lands' End sales bin are as nice/durable as my Charvets.

Interesting. I was kinda wondering if this was the case with the knit ties or if there were any particular brands that people were very happy with. I noticed the Brooks Brothers has them on sale for like 35$.

DStew

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt S
You are aware that grenadine ties and knit ties are not related, right?
To the original poster, you should know that solid grenadines are traditionally fairly formal ties, while knits are among the most casual.
I am aware they aren't related and are for very different formality levels but I appreciate the clarification either way. I could have said it better but I wasn't trying to lump them together. I just noticed that most of the makers who have grenadine ties also seemed to have a good selection of knit and wool ties as well. I figured I would see if there are more of the type of shops listed above.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I can't tell much difference in most knit ties. My cheapies from the Lands' End sales bin are as nice/durable as my Charvets.

I have a different experience. I can tell a difference with Drakes and Charvet over others, Drakes being more 'crunchy" and Charvet being "heavier", otherwise most but not all silk knit ties are about the same. I have a few I bought near the Spanish steps in Rome for like $15 each and they are as good as any brand name ones for $60-$85. I think there must be just a handful of factories in Italy that do most of them so most will have the same quality. But, I feel there are exceptions. I also think Charvet, although they are priced at an absolutely crazy level now, has some very unique colors that could really make an outfit. I would pay the premium for "the perfect color" but would take any brand.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you need no more that 2 of each to start.

don't lock your self in.

just a thought as I understand there is suddenly a lot of chatter about Grenandine ties, Carmina shoes & ..

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm
Grenadines are gorgeous. Hober does them well - but the fabric comes from the factory. As others state - he executes it well from what i've seen in images.
Think Derm, Thank you for your kind words. Yes, you are correct currently the Fermo Fossati silk weavers make our grenadine silk - we weave a lot of silk ourselves but not yet grenadine silk. Interestingly it is not as easy as picking up the phone and placing an order for grenadine silk. In many cases we need to work with the factory to get the design that we want. In our case in addition to design work, we custom make all our grenadines which takes around 2 hours of work per 3-fold tie (more for a 6-fold). Almost all grenadines available elsewhere are ready made and require only a fraction of the time to make. The difference is in the small details.

BBC

Reaction score
Chipp II/Winston Tailors has grenadines in eight colors for $42, but you have to call them since they have little on-line presence (212) 687-0850

Here's a pic of their grenadines from a recent SF sales ad (not mine)
grenadine.jpg

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am not a big fan of the loose knit knit ties... Just my personal preference. Brooks Brothers has some very nice small-weave wool ones right now though that I really like a lot: Link. They are on sale right now for $37.50 which pisses me off because I bought like four of them at full price.
ffffuuuu.gif

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy
I am not a big fan of the loose knit knit ties... Just my personal preference. Brooks Brothers has some very nice small-weave wool ones right now though that I really like a lot: Link. They are on sale right now for $37.50 which pisses me off because I bought like four of them at full price.
ffffuuuu.gif

those ties are knit, not grenadines =)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads