• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Them Vietnamese Sandwiches

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you eat these?
eh.gif

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
if i am at a vietnamese restaurant and have over $4 in my wallet, but less than $7.50, then yes i may order banh mi instead of pho or bun.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
ffffuuuu.gif

i love banh mi

hanoi had some of the worst banh mis i have ever had. there was this random banh mi joint near tufts medical school that was daaamn good. i eat a banh mi every other day i'm in nyc. -_- god. i love a good banh mi

BC2012

Reaction score
Banh mi have become quite the hipster staple in most cities. Go to Yelp and start a thread on where to get banh mi and you'll have about ten thousand responses that slowly devolve into a thread about how ****** Pitchfork is now and about how hard it is to write an English lit term paper wasted on PBR.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
frown.gif
the more people that eat banh mi the more business they get and that's fine by me. personally i think only hipsters characterize hipsters. non hipsters could care less about hipsters. i think its probably a unique social group in that the in group is determined by an out group who is actually also the in group its a delicious sandwich. who cares how many hipsters eat it or know about it

chomeo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
ffffuuuu.gif
..hanoi had some of the worst banh mis i have ever had...i

Banh Mi Hanoi in Saigon is really good!

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I've actually never eaten a banh mi, even though I ate pho at least 3-5 times a week in college. :\\ They just didn't have any around where I lived, and there's none where I live here.
frown.gif
I have a feeling I'd enjoy one thoroughly, though, seems to be everything I like, and more.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chomeo
Banh Mi Hanoi is Saigon is really good!

lol!

i would kill for a proper saigon style banh mi or hanoi style pho in my collegetown. i dont understand why no one's thought of it. cheap, delicious, i think ppl would make a killing.

we've had a pho, banh mi place based on local organic foods, but price was too high for college students. i dont think poor students particularly care. the other vietnamese place is owned by a chinese and tastes like chinese food

BC2012

Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
frown.gif
the more people that eat banh mi the more business they get and that's fine by me. personally i think only hipsters characterize hipsters. non hipsters could care less about hipsters. i think its probably a unique social group in that the in group is determined by an out group who is actually also the in group its a delicious sandwich. who cares how many hipsters eat it or know about it

Just an observation. Doesn't deter or provoke me into eating them. I think they are good most of the time, but I've never characterized one as great. It's a sandwich made with pate and mostly cheaper meats with some cucumber, carrots and parsley. Nothing amazing - it's just different (and mostly cheaper) than most sub shops. My point about the hipsters is that the sandwich has "blown up" because of the hipster attention it gets. 5 years ago your average city-dweller didn't know what banh mi were. Now they are a staple in a lot of cities. Hipster online blogging has a ton to do with that. Good for Viet-owned sandwich shops and poor college kids - nothing more, nothing less.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^^^^^^^
It's because they cost less than $3 often times. What broke kid isn't going to love a tasty sandwich that costs so little?

BC2012

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nil
^^^^^^^^^
It's because they cost less than $3 often times. What broke kid isn't going to love a tasty sandwich that costs so little?

Agreed.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i agree with you. nothing mind boggling. just delicious food at a good price.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads