Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Artisanal Clothing and accessories discussion (MA+, CCP, Layer-0, Paul Harnden, Taichi Murakami,... Last post on Yesterday at 10:47 pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned? Last post on 9/21/16 at 4:54pm in Streetwear and Denim
- JUN HASHIMOTO AT PITTI 86 Last post on 9/12/14 at 1:58pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Looking for longer "military" style leather coat. Can't decide between Burberry or... Last post on 12/8/12 at 5:43pm in Classic Menswear
Styleforum visits De Bonne Facture at Paris Men's Week 2016
Last edited: 1/29/16
- The Buyer's Guide to Fall JacketsLast edited: 9/7/15
- Using Gliptone on your leather jacket - recommended or not? From...Last edited: 2/1/16
- The 2015 Buyer's Guide: OuterwearLast edited: 11/11/15
- Deals of the Week: October 5th, 2015Last edited: 10/6/15
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever. - Page 1786post #26777 of 547531/21/13 at 7:46pmpost #26778 of 547531/21/13 at 8:05pm
Question: the inside chest pocket in my bomber is made from a very rough, grainy leather compared to the rest of the jacket (brown lamb btw). Is this on purpose? is it a different kind of leather or is it just the part of the lamb hide that wasn't perfect enough for the outside of the jacket?post #26779 of 547531/21/13 at 10:34pmpost #26780 of 547531/21/13 at 11:13pmQuote:that's not my jacket, but that mdr does use silver hardware.
i've had a 2010DR with the gunmetal option before, and if i had to choose between the two on a future jacket, i'd choose silver. from the pics, they appear to give a nice contrast to most (if not all) leather colors and give the jacket a more luxe&aggressive vibe.post #26781 of 547531/21/13 at 11:26pmpost #26782 of 547531/21/13 at 11:42pmpost #26783 of 547531/22/13 at 12:13amBlack hardware is probably only offered on leather MA-1s.
I don't think that choosing black hardware on the MA-1 is a good idea, unless you wear all black every day. The silver zipper pull that they use on the MA-1/CWU-45 arm office is a lot more aesthetically pleasing than the black one. They are not the same - the black version is a long, thin rectangular zipper pull similar in shape to what you'd see on a hoodie. If details are important to you, go for the silver hardware - it's a lot cooler.
All-black hardware does not stay that way forever. At some point, you will begin to notice that bits of your zipper teeth/pulls are getting a brass/gold color. Pretty much invisible unless you're looking for it, but I figure that with time and wear, it will become more prominent.
All four of the leathers that I've ordered have black hardware; I love the look, and I plan to order my next jacket with black hardware, but I know from experience that trying to wear them with something as simple as 'white tee+faded indigo' ends up looking like some poorly thought out color-blocking experiment gone horribly wrong. If you don't believe me, look through the galleries and decide how many of those fits would have benefited from opting for silver/gunmetal hardware before you make up your mind.
Edited by omgcookielol - 1/22/13 at 1:29ampost #26784 of 547531/22/13 at 12:17amQuote:Originally Posted by omgcookielol
Black hardware is probably only offered on leather MA-1s.
I don't think that choosing black hardware on the MA-1 is a good idea, unless you wear all black every day. The silver zipper pull that they use on the MA-1/CWU-45 arm office is a lot more aesthetically pleasing than the black one. They are not the same - the black version is a long, thin rectangular zipper pull similar in shape to what you'd see on a hoodie. If details are important to you, go for the silver hardware.
All-black hardware doesn't going to stay that way forever. At some point, you will begin to notice a brass or gold color beginning to appear on the edges of pulls, and at the teeth of the zippers where the black coating has chipped off.
All four of the leathers that I've ordered have black hardware; I love the look, and I plan to order my next jacket with black hardware, but I know from experience that trying to wear them with something as simple as 'white tee+faded indigo' ends up looking like some poorly thought out color-blocking experiment gone horribly wrong. If you don't believe me, look through the galleries and decide how many of those fits would have benefitted from silver/gunmetal.
The accidental colour blocking has got me thinking.... mind you, pure navy sport coats tend to avoid that look. I couldn't go silver personally. I think some people pull it off, on me; I would feel it looked to costume-like.post #26785 of 547531/22/13 at 1:05amQuote:I don't think that changing the hardware is going to avoid this situation. You're still wearing a leather motorcycle jacket, it will still be an aggressive addition to your outfit, and there will always be the chance that people will ask you if you're in a band or own a bike. lol
If you're worried that silver zippers will create a contrast that's too extreme for your look, I'd recommend that you opt for gunmetal hardware instead. A lot of the all-black jackets in the gallery just look... out of place on their owners, imo.post #26786 of 547531/22/13 at 1:52ampost #26787 of 547531/22/13 at 2:11amDrews bright silver zips are way nicer then the gunmetal ones
Fuck I just want winter to be here so I can wear my black lamb CWP bomber, a white Hanes tee, black overdyes, layer 0 boots and a big Schneider wrap scarf, moving to Melbourne this year with my wife so I'll be able to wear ToJ all year, finally.post #26788 of 547531/22/13 at 2:39ampost #26789 of 547531/22/13 at 2:55ampost #26790 of 547531/22/13 at 3:47amQuote:
Isn't it like 16 degrees at night in Melbourne at the moment? That's winter in QLD man haha
Honestly though, weather is way nicer in Melbourne, Qld is hot most of the time, 6 months of the year it's nice, other six its retarded.
Winter in QLD is summer in London, I kid you not.
- The Buyer's Guide to Fall Jackets
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 3 minutes ago
- › $650 NWT Hardy Amies Navy Double Breasted Blazer - US 40 R 3 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 3 minutes ago
- › chocolate-covered strawberries 5 minutes ago
- › The Look goes on... 9 minutes ago
- › Solid navy Ermenegildo Zegna mainline suit in size 50R EU / 40R US.... 10 minutes ago
- › The Home Ownership Thread 12 minutes ago
- › Engineered Garments FW 16 19 minutes ago
- › Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures 23 minutes ago
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 23 minutes ago
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...