Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Artisanal Clothing and accessories discussion (MA+, CCP, Layer-0, Paul Harnden, Taichi Murakami,... Last post on Yesterday at 9:02 am in Streetwear and Denim
- Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned? Last post on Today at 8:20 pm in Streetwear and Denim
- JUN HASHIMOTO AT PITTI 86 Last post on 9/12/14 at 1:58pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Looking for longer "military" style leather coat. Can't decide between Burberry or... Last post on 12/8/12 at 5:43pm in Classic Menswear
Styleforum visits De Bonne Facture at Paris Men's Week 2016
Last edited: 1/29/16
- The Buyer's Guide to Fall JacketsLast edited: 9/7/15
- Using Gliptone on your leather jacket - recommended or not? From...Last edited: 2/1/16
- The 2015 Buyer's Guide: OuterwearLast edited: 11/11/15
- Deals of the Week: October 5th, 2015Last edited: 10/6/15
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Grant Stone
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever. - Page 1786post #26777 of 546681/21/13 at 7:46pmpost #26778 of 546681/21/13 at 8:05pm
Question: the inside chest pocket in my bomber is made from a very rough, grainy leather compared to the rest of the jacket (brown lamb btw). Is this on purpose? is it a different kind of leather or is it just the part of the lamb hide that wasn't perfect enough for the outside of the jacket?post #26779 of 546681/21/13 at 10:34pmpost #26780 of 546681/21/13 at 11:13pmQuote:that's not my jacket, but that mdr does use silver hardware.
i've had a 2010DR with the gunmetal option before, and if i had to choose between the two on a future jacket, i'd choose silver. from the pics, they appear to give a nice contrast to most (if not all) leather colors and give the jacket a more luxe&aggressive vibe.post #26781 of 546681/21/13 at 11:26pmpost #26782 of 546681/21/13 at 11:42pmpost #26783 of 546681/22/13 at 12:13amBlack hardware is probably only offered on leather MA-1s.
I don't think that choosing black hardware on the MA-1 is a good idea, unless you wear all black every day. The silver zipper pull that they use on the MA-1/CWU-45 arm office is a lot more aesthetically pleasing than the black one. They are not the same - the black version is a long, thin rectangular zipper pull similar in shape to what you'd see on a hoodie. If details are important to you, go for the silver hardware - it's a lot cooler.
All-black hardware does not stay that way forever. At some point, you will begin to notice that bits of your zipper teeth/pulls are getting a brass/gold color. Pretty much invisible unless you're looking for it, but I figure that with time and wear, it will become more prominent.
All four of the leathers that I've ordered have black hardware; I love the look, and I plan to order my next jacket with black hardware, but I know from experience that trying to wear them with something as simple as 'white tee+faded indigo' ends up looking like some poorly thought out color-blocking experiment gone horribly wrong. If you don't believe me, look through the galleries and decide how many of those fits would have benefited from opting for silver/gunmetal hardware before you make up your mind.
Edited by omgcookielol - 1/22/13 at 1:29ampost #26784 of 546681/22/13 at 12:17amQuote:Originally Posted by omgcookielol
Black hardware is probably only offered on leather MA-1s.
I don't think that choosing black hardware on the MA-1 is a good idea, unless you wear all black every day. The silver zipper pull that they use on the MA-1/CWU-45 arm office is a lot more aesthetically pleasing than the black one. They are not the same - the black version is a long, thin rectangular zipper pull similar in shape to what you'd see on a hoodie. If details are important to you, go for the silver hardware.
All-black hardware doesn't going to stay that way forever. At some point, you will begin to notice a brass or gold color beginning to appear on the edges of pulls, and at the teeth of the zippers where the black coating has chipped off.
All four of the leathers that I've ordered have black hardware; I love the look, and I plan to order my next jacket with black hardware, but I know from experience that trying to wear them with something as simple as 'white tee+faded indigo' ends up looking like some poorly thought out color-blocking experiment gone horribly wrong. If you don't believe me, look through the galleries and decide how many of those fits would have benefitted from silver/gunmetal.
The accidental colour blocking has got me thinking.... mind you, pure navy sport coats tend to avoid that look. I couldn't go silver personally. I think some people pull it off, on me; I would feel it looked to costume-like.post #26785 of 546681/22/13 at 1:05amQuote:I don't think that changing the hardware is going to avoid this situation. You're still wearing a leather motorcycle jacket, it will still be an aggressive addition to your outfit, and there will always be the chance that people will ask you if you're in a band or own a bike. lol
If you're worried that silver zippers will create a contrast that's too extreme for your look, I'd recommend that you opt for gunmetal hardware instead. A lot of the all-black jackets in the gallery just look... out of place on their owners, imo.post #26786 of 546681/22/13 at 1:52ampost #26787 of 546681/22/13 at 2:11amDrews bright silver zips are way nicer then the gunmetal ones
Fuck I just want winter to be here so I can wear my black lamb CWP bomber, a white Hanes tee, black overdyes, layer 0 boots and a big Schneider wrap scarf, moving to Melbourne this year with my wife so I'll be able to wear ToJ all year, finally.post #26788 of 546681/22/13 at 2:39ampost #26789 of 546681/22/13 at 2:55ampost #26790 of 546681/22/13 at 3:47amQuote:
Isn't it like 16 degrees at night in Melbourne at the moment? That's winter in QLD man haha
Honestly though, weather is way nicer in Melbourne, Qld is hot most of the time, 6 months of the year it's nice, other six its retarded.
Winter in QLD is summer in London, I kid you not.
- The Buyer's Guide to Fall Jackets
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 5 seconds ago
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 59 seconds ago
- › Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread 2 minutes ago
- › THE EUROPEAN THRIFT BUY /SELL / TRADE / WANT THREAD 4 minutes ago
- › Wolf vs Goat Appreciation Thread 4 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 4 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice,... 5 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 5 minutes ago
- › Eames Lounge Chair copies... worth it? 5 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 6 minutes ago
- › Sage de Cret Green Jacquard Wool Linen Blazer by robxznyc
- › Gerani Corduroy Slim Straight Pants Yellow by robxznyc
- › Luigi Bianchi Rough Heavy Cotton Twill Blazer Yellow by robxznyc
- › Sage de Cret Patchwork Wool Bomber Jacket by robxznyc
- › WLG by Giorgio Brato Brown Nubuck Bomber Leather Jacket by robxznyc
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding
- › What to Wear to (Almost) Any Wedding
- › Ron Rider's comprehensive Shoe Care Guide
- › AE fit & sizing help
- › 5 of the best Groomsmen’s gifts