Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Artisanal Clothing and accessories discussion (MA+, CCP, Layer-0, Paul Harnden, Taichi Murakami,... Last post on Yesterday at 10:22 am in Streetwear and Denim
- Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned? Last post on 3/19/17 at 6:47pm in Streetwear and Denim
- JUN HASHIMOTO AT PITTI 86 Last post on 9/12/14 at 1:58pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Looking for longer "military" style leather coat. Can't decide between Burberry or... Last post on 12/8/12 at 5:43pm in Classic Menswear
Styleforum visits De Bonne Facture at Paris Men's Week 2016
Last edited: 1/29/16
- The Buyer's Guide to Fall JacketsLast edited: 9/7/15
- Using Gliptone on your leather jacket - recommended or not? From...Last edited: 2/1/16
- The 2015 Buyer's Guide: OuterwearLast edited: 11/11/15
- Deals of the Week: October 5th, 2015Last edited: 10/6/15
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever. - Page 1650post #24736 of 5482211/15/12 at 9:02pmpost #24737 of 5482211/15/12 at 9:05pmpost #24738 of 5482211/15/12 at 9:17pmI wear suits to work every day, some of which are more than ten years old which still look great - not new but broken in rather than worn out. I have a jacket made of angora/lambs wool that is over three years old and looks new even though I drive in it, eat in eat and sit for hours in it. Good wool will look great for years.
Bertiepost #24739 of 5482211/15/12 at 9:20pmpost #24740 of 5482211/15/12 at 10:08pmQuote:Originally Posted by gettoasty
First error was assuming people hear wear suits on the regular, or even wool trousers/slacks. Seems like either denim or sweats are in most peoples comfort zone in SW&D.
Wool does not go fuzzy whoever brought that up. Uniqlo wool trousers worn for a 1 year, granted rotated each day, but no fuzz, no shine in my seat; etc.
FWIW the MA-1 looks real good. Just need a fit pic to turn heads. More so, as Drew mentioned, his wool quality must be 1000x better than anything Uniqlo can source.
An MA-1 would be worn pretty regularly and 150s is way too fine for everyday wear. I quite like the look and it probably feels like sex but in terms of what you are saying toasty, Uniqlo wool is probably a blend and definitely nowhere close to 150s levelpost #24741 of 5482211/15/12 at 11:09pmpost #24742 of 5482211/15/12 at 11:18pmpost #24743 of 5482211/15/12 at 11:22pmQuote:
wonder if you posted this without any sense of ironypost #24744 of 5482211/15/12 at 11:22pmI can't, however, understand people who expect everyone to simply praise everything Drew makes. If the guy posts a mysterious picture of a prototype MA-1 without any in-depth detail then of course people will start buzzing. And, as someone said before, the only thing more annoying than the complainers is the fan-boys' redundant 'wtf guys' and 'Drew know best' comments. And this is coming from a guy who appreciate Drew's work to a degree where I own three TOJ jackets, and currently have three more in the making.
I think it's quite fair to have an opinion on the new jackets. And especially the MA-1 is something a lot of people have been anticipating.
Airing concerns that a pinstriped wool version of the MA might not be what they were looking for is completely fair I feel. I too, am in the skeptical bracket. In my vision, the MA-1 would be a piece I could use in the more tough looks, e.g. a black MA-1 with slim black jeans tugged into a pair of combat boots etc. The suite MA-1 just wont work for this purpose. Plain black wool, coated wool or something third might be better for those of us that doesn't want to use the MA-1 to dress up, so to speak. Which is also why I choose to put my funds in a ribbed collar CWU instead.post #24745 of 5482211/15/12 at 11:37pmIf people just want another mil-spec MA-1, why don't they just get a Buzz Rickson? Attachment, Rick, and any number of fashion houses make typical MA-1's. It's not really about praising everything Drew makes, but rather accepting that not every piece Drew makes will be for every person. Previous whine cycles have showed us that we can't have nice things. Then we get Youtube videos if we're lucky, instead of new product.post #24746 of 5482211/15/12 at 11:45pmQuote:
The same reason why people don't get a Schott, or MMM, or Rick and so on leather jacket.Quote:
People can give their feedback and post their opinions in a thread like this. Otherwise, it would be redundant. Get over it.Quote:
Really? Reaaaaaally? What is this, a kindergarden? Do you honestly believe Drew is so thin skinned that he would cancel one of the (cornerstone) products of his new JC line, just because some lads on Styleforum rather want nylon or what not?post #24747 of 5482211/15/12 at 11:45pm
I think the bigger issue is the fact that Drew made a popular nylon/repro-style MA-1 in the past and people were expecting/hoping that he would just bring that back with some tweaks. When it was something quite a bit different instead, disappointment was inevitable. I'm not trying to defend people telling Drew how to run his company because I think that's bullshit, but I also don't think it's totally shocking that people aren't totally happy when he went in a somewhat unusual direction.
There are other MA-1 makers, obviously, but I don't think any of them offer the fit (RIckson) or price point (Rick) that TOJ does.post #24748 of 5482211/15/12 at 11:49pmDrew probably did not design to MA-1 to please the largest possible audience. He probably just felt like designing an MA-1 out of wool suiting fabric because it is a cool concept. Some of us will love it, others will hate it. I might not order one, but I sure as hell will not come to the thread to whine about how it is different than my ideal MA-1.post #24749 of 5482211/15/12 at 11:51pmThe thing that I don't understand is that people are complaining about what they could use/couldn't use the MA1 for, yet I don't think anyone would really use their leather jacket for any severe weather rain/snow at a regular basis. You know your not going to be using your jacket in a rainstorm at 20 degree weather so why complain. Your not buying a sweater, so the wool won't pil it's fine wool but tightly woven wool. The idea that TOJ would be selling you something without any type of quality control would be stupid, that's what the basis of what it's always been around from how I've know it. Quality outerwear that's affordable, everyone knows your going to get a great piece. Yes it would be cool to have a nylon from TOJ because you know it's going to be a great piece but you could always buy an M-1 that you know won't be anywhere close to the TOJ one.post #24750 of 5482211/16/12 at 12:17am
- The Buyer's Guide to Fall Jackets
- › Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll... 3 seconds ago
- › The Look goes on... 4 minutes ago
- › Yanko - Made In Spain Shoes 16 minutes ago
- › Ongoing Bespoke Projects 16 minutes ago
- › The Hong Kong Tailors Thread 17 minutes ago
- › Yohji, Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Looser Fit... 20 minutes ago
- › WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style 22 minutes ago
- › *BIG DROP* VASS Burgundy Shell Cordovan Double Monk Strap U-Last EU... 26 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2017 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice,... 31 minutes ago
- › BNIB Carlos Santos Balmoral Boot in brown patina 34 minutes ago
- › Men’s The Original 3” Boxerjock® Boxer Briefs... by Alper
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...