Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- JUN HASHIMOTO AT PITTI 86 Last post on 9/12/14 at 1:58pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Can't find a shirt and a jacket my size Last post on 6/13/12 at 3:01pm in Classic Menswear
- French Cuffs Last post on 7/13/14 at 12:09pm in Classic Menswear
- shirts and general fit question for V shaped body Last post on 4/29/13 at 6:49am in Classic Menswear
- Would you pair this jacket with these slacks? Vote now. Last post on 9/27/11 at 4:56pm in Classic Menswear
Tokyo Diaries, Day 3: The StyFoJapan Meetup!
Last edited: 6/22/15
- The Styleforum Brief: May 2015Last edited: 5/7/15
- CT Shirts Presents: How to Choose the Best White Shirt for Your...Last edited: 3/30/15
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
The new official TOJ thread - updates, complaints, etc... - Page 2483post #37231 of 530961/30/14 at 5:04pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #37232 of 530961/30/14 at 5:13pmpost #37233 of 530961/30/14 at 5:31pmpost #37234 of 530961/30/14 at 5:36pmEh? We back to the whole cuff discussion again? The cuffs are 5.0" and the circumference of my wrists is 6.25"
Right now because the jacket is brand new and was sitting at the bottom of the box, the opening is not rounding out and is completely flat.
It's running the opposite direction the sleeves are opening so that's why it seems bigger if you know what I mean.
If you look at my 3rd photo, you can see how flat and squished the cuffs are right now.post #37235 of 530961/30/14 at 6:19pmpost #37236 of 530961/30/14 at 9:32pmpost #37237 of 530961/31/14 at 2:37ampost #37238 of 530961/31/14 at 6:42amJust wanted to touch on a few subjects. First off, I'm definitely open to criticism with my fit. But I had hesistations with posting fit pics brand new from the box because I know from experience the jacket doesn't fit quite right brand new. When I first got my MDR, I really didn't like how it fit and looked so I never posted pictures. I wore for like a month and now it drapes the way I want to over my body.
There's a break in period with every jacket, you need to form the creases around the elbows etc. and the zippers are very stiff. So everything will work itself out.
Does that mean my jacket fits absolutely perfect? No, not right now at least.
Some background info. When I ordered my first TOJ, I was 125lbs. When I ordered my A-2 I was 135lbs (now it fits snug). When I ordered all these jackets, I was 145lbs. Right now I'm 153lbs. and I plan to finish off at 165lbs and I sized my jackets with that in mind.
I basically told Charly that I wanted a jacket that fits good now, but fits perfect later. I told him I have room to grow in my traps, shoulders, forearms, etc. and to account for some breathing room in those areas. Another thing that I'm not ashamed to admit is that I have pretty small hands. My hands are only slightly larger than my girlfriend's. So that adds to the perception that the cuffs look large, along with the cuffs are flat from shipping. I also like a slightly larger opening so when I wear my leather gloves, it slides inside the cuff and not over the cuff.
Some of the criticism is very nit picking and it doesn't bother me. I'm not obessesed with having a perfectly fitting jacket. This may seem like a foreign concept, but made to measure doesn't necessarily mean the jacket has to fit 100% perfectly. I could nit pick all my jackets and shave off 0.2" here, add 0.3" here etc. But giving customers those options is exactly why Drew had said he will stop doing made to measure and take control back into his own hands.
Last point I wanted to bring up, even if the customer has total control over the jacket; most people wouldn't be qualified to make the decision as to how a jacket should fit proportional. Which is why I have always trusted Charly and used a bit of common sense and gave my feedback to change the jacket to proportions that make sense.
I've seen guys post jackets of their DR's where I feel the sleeve lengths were modified too short and the cuff opening too narrow. When the cuff opening is too narrow, you can't even fit a nice watch in it. You'll find in all of Drew's fits, he always accounts for the watch opening and he has a slouchy, relaxed fit. That's exactly the type of fit I strive for.
If your sleeves are too short, you're screwed. I think it's this type of customization and nit picking is what causes people to have a messed up jacket.
Last point I wanted to bring up, I have a lot of jackets and even though I hate to sell items I may eventually have to get rid of some of my jackets. So my thought process has always been to stay as close to stock size as possible, so in the event that I need to sell my jacket I would be able to attract a greater audience.
But thanks for all the comments everyone, good or bad.post #37239 of 530961/31/14 at 6:50ampost #37240 of 530961/31/14 at 7:52ampost #37241 of 530961/31/14 at 8:18am
Charly advised me on the slim cuff treatment. 6.9 Elbows and 4.9 cuffs. So when unzipped the cuff will be 6.9... pretty much a straight fit from elbow to wrist.
I think the cuff situation is especially confusing because one of the sewers was cutting them inaccurately (but not badly) for an indeterminate amount of time. The sewer was actually constructing the cuffs smaller than the actual measurements provided, so you can't really look back at older jackets people have posted and their measurement as a reference point.
I mean all of this shit can basically be circumvented by measuring a jacket and asking charly but still lol.post #37242 of 530961/31/14 at 8:24ampost #37243 of 530961/31/14 at 8:26ampost #37244 of 530961/31/14 at 8:39ampost #37245 of 530961/31/14 at 8:48am
- The new official TOJ thread - updates, complaints, etc...
Styleforum Top Picks
- The Styleforum Brief: May 2015
- › Latest Point and Shoot Cameras 14 seconds ago
- › The Quintessential Dress Shoe: Black Cap Toe Oxford 33 seconds ago
- › A Steamer Question 1 minute ago
- › CHARITY SALE - Zegna, Isaia + TON OF NEW BRIONI Just Added 7/25 2 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, EG, GG, Bonafe, Saint Crispin's -... 2 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 2 minutes ago
- › Meermin MTO Burgundy Oxfords US7.5 (UK6.5) wide 3 minutes ago
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 3 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 3 minutes ago
- › Reasons why New York Sucks 4 minutes ago
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
- › Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five...
- › Help! I need a suit for a wedding!
- › What I learned from my own wedding day, and...
- › Look nice, Dammit: Why you should care - and...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...