Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- JUN HASHIMOTO AT PITTI 86 Last post on 9/12/14 at 1:58pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Can't find a shirt and a jacket my size Last post on 6/13/12 at 3:01pm in Classic Menswear
- French Cuffs Last post on 7/13/14 at 12:09pm in Classic Menswear
- shirts and general fit question for V shaped body Last post on 4/29/13 at 6:49am in Classic Menswear
- Would you pair this jacket with these slacks? Vote now. Last post on 9/27/11 at 4:56pm in Classic Menswear
Tokyo Diaries, Day 3: The StyFoJapan Meetup!
Last edited: 6/22/15
- The Styleforum Brief: May 2015Last edited: 5/7/15
- CT Shirts Presents: How to Choose the Best White Shirt for Your...Last edited: 3/30/15
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- Blue Owl
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
The new official TOJ thread - updates, complaints, etc... - Page 1860
Styleforum Top Pickspost #27887 of 527992/25/13 at 1:20pmpost #27888 of 527992/25/13 at 2:27pmpost #27889 of 527992/25/13 at 3:03pmpost #27890 of 527992/25/13 at 3:11pmpost #27891 of 527992/25/13 at 3:26pmpost #27892 of 527992/25/13 at 3:32pmpost #27893 of 527992/25/13 at 3:37pmpost #27894 of 527992/25/13 at 5:06pmpost #27895 of 527992/25/13 at 5:40pmpost #27896 of 527992/25/13 at 6:33pmpost #27897 of 527992/25/13 at 8:17pmQuote:Originally Posted by impolyt_one
I don't want to get into the business of making $3000+ clothes. I could make them rise to that level, but I just don't like the idea of working with such expensive material. Leather is pretty expensive as it is. The other thing that has me uninterested is the sizing - I recall a thread of some guy who'd bought a shearling jacket from the mall and wondered why it didn't fit tightly or something... that doesn't seem like it'd be much fun....Quote:Originally Posted by impolyt_one
I'm not sure, I've seen other shearling leather hides there but the backside finish (the 'leather') left a lot to be desired... and that's the part I like.
A real-deal shearling jacket is the same animal, inside and out; it's one piece of leather hide-out and hair-in. That is a sign of quality if both sides are nice - the hides for that are quite expensive, as said. Well over a hundred dollars a piece for me, and you need at least 6 to make the basic panels of a jacket - that doesn't include the trim leather, or other parts.
So in consideration of that huge paragraph above, I would be most inclined to 'TOJ' a B-15/RAF style jacket... which is the same direction a lot of other brands have chosen to go in; problem being - they're using that poly flock backing with cheap leather on front, they're using cheap shearling, or something on that level to make their shearlings, and they get to come in under $2K. The point I always wanted to make was that TOJ can make something interesting with some definite virtues for less than the mainstream cost, while giving more - and that just can't happen with real shearling. Fake shearling, yes, I could make those all day and they'd not be expensive, they'd look alright from 10 foot away... but I shudder at the idea of putting polyester fake flocking inside such nice leather. That just doesn't do it for me, it'd be cheese, and incongruent with the way every TOJ previous has been made.
Anyway, yada, yada, yada, yada - I view it as an impossibility.
This was said in 2011/2012 or something. Shearling prices have probably risen. I remember him saying recently that he was now open to the idea of making clothes that only a few of his customers could afford, or whatever. Given that he has stuck to his guns about delivering a product he believes is next level, I dont see him using cheaper shearling than what he described in the above posts.post #27898 of 527992/25/13 at 8:29pmpost #27899 of 527992/25/13 at 8:56pm
- The new official TOJ thread - updates, complaints, etc...
- The Styleforum Brief: May 2015
Currently, there are 1885 Active Users (453 Members and 1432 Guests)
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 1 second ago
- › Official Guitar, Amp, Pedals, and Gear Thread 21 seconds ago
- › things that are making you happy 49 seconds ago
- › NBA 2014-2015 Season Thread 1 minute ago
- › The Grad Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › Joseph Abboud navy pinstripe wool suit, 38Sx32, shipping included... 2 minutes ago
- › Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general 2 minutes ago
- › The Look goes on... 3 minutes ago
- › Wolf vs. Goat Official Affiliate Thread - New April 16, 2015 3 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 3: The StyFoJapan Meetup!
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 2: Quick Photo Dump!
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket,...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 5: We Dye Stuff Blue
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 6: Junky Special,...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 7: This Is The End
- › The #StyFoJapan EDC
- › The Styleforum x Huckberry Father's Day...
- › Fok's Gift Guide for Dads Who Refuse to...