Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- JUN HASHIMOTO AT PITTI 86 Last post on 9/12/14 at 1:58pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Today at 12:43 am in Classic Menswear
- Can't find a shirt and a jacket my size Last post on 6/13/12 at 3:01pm in Classic Menswear
- French Cuffs Last post on 7/13/14 at 12:09pm in Classic Menswear
- shirts and general fit question for V shaped body Last post on 4/29/13 at 6:49am in Classic Menswear
CT Shirts Presents: How to Choose the Best White Shirt for Your...
Last edited: 3/30/15
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Brooklyn Clothing Co
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The new official TOJ thread - updates, complaints, etc... - Page 1786
Styleforum Top Pickspost #26777 of 481721/21/13 at 7:46pmpost #26778 of 481721/21/13 at 8:05pm
Question: the inside chest pocket in my bomber is made from a very rough, grainy leather compared to the rest of the jacket (brown lamb btw). Is this on purpose? is it a different kind of leather or is it just the part of the lamb hide that wasn't perfect enough for the outside of the jacket?post #26779 of 481721/21/13 at 10:34pmpost #26780 of 481721/21/13 at 11:13pmQuote:that's not my jacket, but that mdr does use silver hardware.
i've had a 2010DR with the gunmetal option before, and if i had to choose between the two on a future jacket, i'd choose silver. from the pics, they appear to give a nice contrast to most (if not all) leather colors and give the jacket a more luxe&aggressive vibe.post #26781 of 481721/21/13 at 11:26pmpost #26782 of 481721/21/13 at 11:42pmpost #26783 of 481721/22/13 at 12:13amBlack hardware is probably only offered on leather MA-1s.
I don't think that choosing black hardware on the MA-1 is a good idea, unless you wear all black every day. The silver zipper pull that they use on the MA-1/CWU-45 arm office is a lot more aesthetically pleasing than the black one. They are not the same - the black version is a long, thin rectangular zipper pull similar in shape to what you'd see on a hoodie. If details are important to you, go for the silver hardware - it's a lot cooler.
All-black hardware does not stay that way forever. At some point, you will begin to notice that bits of your zipper teeth/pulls are getting a brass/gold color. Pretty much invisible unless you're looking for it, but I figure that with time and wear, it will become more prominent.
All four of the leathers that I've ordered have black hardware; I love the look, and I plan to order my next jacket with black hardware, but I know from experience that trying to wear them with something as simple as 'white tee+faded indigo' ends up looking like some poorly thought out color-blocking experiment gone horribly wrong. If you don't believe me, look through the galleries and decide how many of those fits would have benefited from opting for silver/gunmetal hardware before you make up your mind.
Edited by omgcookielol - 1/22/13 at 1:29ampost #26784 of 481721/22/13 at 12:17amQuote:Originally Posted by omgcookielol
Black hardware is probably only offered on leather MA-1s.
I don't think that choosing black hardware on the MA-1 is a good idea, unless you wear all black every day. The silver zipper pull that they use on the MA-1/CWU-45 arm office is a lot more aesthetically pleasing than the black one. They are not the same - the black version is a long, thin rectangular zipper pull similar in shape to what you'd see on a hoodie. If details are important to you, go for the silver hardware.
All-black hardware doesn't going to stay that way forever. At some point, you will begin to notice a brass or gold color beginning to appear on the edges of pulls, and at the teeth of the zippers where the black coating has chipped off.
All four of the leathers that I've ordered have black hardware; I love the look, and I plan to order my next jacket with black hardware, but I know from experience that trying to wear them with something as simple as 'white tee+faded indigo' ends up looking like some poorly thought out color-blocking experiment gone horribly wrong. If you don't believe me, look through the galleries and decide how many of those fits would have benefitted from silver/gunmetal.
The accidental colour blocking has got me thinking.... mind you, pure navy sport coats tend to avoid that look. I couldn't go silver personally. I think some people pull it off, on me; I would feel it looked to costume-like.post #26785 of 481721/22/13 at 1:05amQuote:I don't think that changing the hardware is going to avoid this situation. You're still wearing a leather motorcycle jacket, it will still be an aggressive addition to your outfit, and there will always be the chance that people will ask you if you're in a band or own a bike. lol
If you're worried that silver zippers will create a contrast that's too extreme for your look, I'd recommend that you opt for gunmetal hardware instead. A lot of the all-black jackets in the gallery just look... out of place on their owners, imo.post #26786 of 481721/22/13 at 1:52ampost #26787 of 481721/22/13 at 2:11amDrews bright silver zips are way nicer then the gunmetal ones
Fuck I just want winter to be here so I can wear my black lamb CWP bomber, a white Hanes tee, black overdyes, layer 0 boots and a big Schneider wrap scarf, moving to Melbourne this year with my wife so I'll be able to wear ToJ all year, finally.post #26788 of 481721/22/13 at 2:39ampost #26789 of 481721/22/13 at 2:55ampost #26790 of 481721/22/13 at 3:47amQuote:
Isn't it like 16 degrees at night in Melbourne at the moment? That's winter in QLD man haha
Honestly though, weather is way nicer in Melbourne, Qld is hot most of the time, 6 months of the year it's nice, other six its retarded.
Winter in QLD is summer in London, I kid you not.
- The new official TOJ thread - updates, complaints, etc...
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › OAK ROOM - Gentlemen`s Shoe Store - Official Affiliate Thread 10 seconds ago
- › SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread 1 minute ago
- › Recent purchases - Part II 2 minutes ago
- › FS: grey cashmere jacket by Chester Barrie, size 36S, vintage 3 minutes ago
- › Australian Members 9 minutes ago
- › STEPHAN SCHNEIDER - AW08 Black bomber (SZ. 5) 10 minutes ago
- › Like new: navy blue Oxxford hopsack blazer, size 38 11 minutes ago
- › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Theard 13 minutes ago
- › http://premiumpureforskolinrev.com/forskolin-fit-pro/ 13 minutes ago
- › John Elliott + Co - official affiliate thread 13 minutes ago
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › The ten least expensive cars to insure in the US
- › The Styleforum Brief: March 2015
- › Going Places: A Brief Trip to Naples
- › One Sneaker to Rule Them All: The Rise of the...
- › People Who Make Our Lives Better: Jack...
- › CT Shirts Presents: How to Choose the Best...
- › Fok's Pick: Quilted Vests
- › A Suit Well-Traveled: Clark Gable’s...
- › Six questions to ask when vetting your...
- › The truth about how to be great at content...