Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- JUN HASHIMOTO AT PITTI 86 Last post on 9/12/14 at 1:58pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Can't find a shirt and a jacket my size Last post on 6/13/12 at 3:01pm in Classic Menswear
- French Cuffs Last post on 7/13/14 at 12:09pm in Classic Menswear
- shirts and general fit question for V shaped body Last post on 4/29/13 at 6:49am in Classic Menswear
- Would you pair this jacket with these slacks? Vote now. Last post on 9/27/11 at 4:56pm in Classic Menswear
Tokyo Diaries, Day 3: The StyFoJapan Meetup!
Last edited: 6/22/15
- The Styleforum Brief: May 2015Last edited: 5/7/15
- CT Shirts Presents: How to Choose the Best White Shirt for Your...Last edited: 3/30/15
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
The new official TOJ thread - updates, complaints, etc... - Page 1650post #24736 of 5309611/15/12 at 9:02pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #24737 of 5309611/15/12 at 9:05pmpost #24738 of 5309611/15/12 at 9:17pmI wear suits to work every day, some of which are more than ten years old which still look great - not new but broken in rather than worn out. I have a jacket made of angora/lambs wool that is over three years old and looks new even though I drive in it, eat in eat and sit for hours in it. Good wool will look great for years.
Bertiepost #24739 of 5309611/15/12 at 9:20pmpost #24740 of 5309611/15/12 at 10:08pmQuote:Originally Posted by gettoasty
First error was assuming people hear wear suits on the regular, or even wool trousers/slacks. Seems like either denim or sweats are in most peoples comfort zone in SW&D.
Wool does not go fuzzy whoever brought that up. Uniqlo wool trousers worn for a 1 year, granted rotated each day, but no fuzz, no shine in my seat; etc.
FWIW the MA-1 looks real good. Just need a fit pic to turn heads. More so, as Drew mentioned, his wool quality must be 1000x better than anything Uniqlo can source.
An MA-1 would be worn pretty regularly and 150s is way too fine for everyday wear. I quite like the look and it probably feels like sex but in terms of what you are saying toasty, Uniqlo wool is probably a blend and definitely nowhere close to 150s levelpost #24741 of 5309611/15/12 at 11:09pmpost #24742 of 5309611/15/12 at 11:18pmpost #24743 of 5309611/15/12 at 11:22pmQuote:
wonder if you posted this without any sense of ironypost #24744 of 5309611/15/12 at 11:22pmI can't, however, understand people who expect everyone to simply praise everything Drew makes. If the guy posts a mysterious picture of a prototype MA-1 without any in-depth detail then of course people will start buzzing. And, as someone said before, the only thing more annoying than the complainers is the fan-boys' redundant 'wtf guys' and 'Drew know best' comments. And this is coming from a guy who appreciate Drew's work to a degree where I own three TOJ jackets, and currently have three more in the making.
I think it's quite fair to have an opinion on the new jackets. And especially the MA-1 is something a lot of people have been anticipating.
Airing concerns that a pinstriped wool version of the MA might not be what they were looking for is completely fair I feel. I too, am in the skeptical bracket. In my vision, the MA-1 would be a piece I could use in the more tough looks, e.g. a black MA-1 with slim black jeans tugged into a pair of combat boots etc. The suite MA-1 just wont work for this purpose. Plain black wool, coated wool or something third might be better for those of us that doesn't want to use the MA-1 to dress up, so to speak. Which is also why I choose to put my funds in a ribbed collar CWU instead.post #24745 of 5309611/15/12 at 11:37pmIf people just want another mil-spec MA-1, why don't they just get a Buzz Rickson? Attachment, Rick, and any number of fashion houses make typical MA-1's. It's not really about praising everything Drew makes, but rather accepting that not every piece Drew makes will be for every person. Previous whine cycles have showed us that we can't have nice things. Then we get Youtube videos if we're lucky, instead of new product.post #24746 of 5309611/15/12 at 11:45pmQuote:
The same reason why people don't get a Schott, or MMM, or Rick and so on leather jacket.Quote:
People can give their feedback and post their opinions in a thread like this. Otherwise, it would be redundant. Get over it.Quote:
Really? Reaaaaaally? What is this, a kindergarden? Do you honestly believe Drew is so thin skinned that he would cancel one of the (cornerstone) products of his new JC line, just because some lads on Styleforum rather want nylon or what not?post #24747 of 5309611/15/12 at 11:45pm
I think the bigger issue is the fact that Drew made a popular nylon/repro-style MA-1 in the past and people were expecting/hoping that he would just bring that back with some tweaks. When it was something quite a bit different instead, disappointment was inevitable. I'm not trying to defend people telling Drew how to run his company because I think that's bullshit, but I also don't think it's totally shocking that people aren't totally happy when he went in a somewhat unusual direction.
There are other MA-1 makers, obviously, but I don't think any of them offer the fit (RIckson) or price point (Rick) that TOJ does.post #24748 of 5309611/15/12 at 11:49pmDrew probably did not design to MA-1 to please the largest possible audience. He probably just felt like designing an MA-1 out of wool suiting fabric because it is a cool concept. Some of us will love it, others will hate it. I might not order one, but I sure as hell will not come to the thread to whine about how it is different than my ideal MA-1.post #24749 of 5309611/15/12 at 11:51pmThe thing that I don't understand is that people are complaining about what they could use/couldn't use the MA1 for, yet I don't think anyone would really use their leather jacket for any severe weather rain/snow at a regular basis. You know your not going to be using your jacket in a rainstorm at 20 degree weather so why complain. Your not buying a sweater, so the wool won't pil it's fine wool but tightly woven wool. The idea that TOJ would be selling you something without any type of quality control would be stupid, that's what the basis of what it's always been around from how I've know it. Quality outerwear that's affordable, everyone knows your going to get a great piece. Yes it would be cool to have a nylon from TOJ because you know it's going to be a great piece but you could always buy an M-1 that you know won't be anywhere close to the TOJ one.post #24750 of 5309611/16/12 at 12:17am
- The new official TOJ thread - updates, complaints, etc...
- The Styleforum Brief: May 2015
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 4 minutes ago
- › FRIDAY CHALLENGE (JULY 31): FINE ART FRIDAY 5 minutes ago
- › Mod to Suedehead 6 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, EG, GG, Bonafe, Saint Crispin's -... 6 minutes ago
- › WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style 8 minutes ago
- › Dress in Academia 11 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 13 minutes ago
- › The Official Drake's London Appreciation Thread 38 minutes ago
- › Vintage Ray Ban Expert 52 minutes ago
- › ***The Official eBay / B&S / eShop Someone-Should-Kop Thread*** 52 minutes ago
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
- › Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five...
- › Help! I need a suit for a wedding!
- › What I learned from my own wedding day, and...
- › Look nice, Dammit: Why you should care - and...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...