Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- JUN HASHIMOTO AT PITTI 86 Last post on 9/12/14 at 1:58pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Today at 6:49 pm in Classic Menswear
- Can't find a shirt and a jacket my size Last post on 6/13/12 at 3:01pm in Classic Menswear
- French Cuffs Last post on 7/13/14 at 12:09pm in Classic Menswear
- shirts and general fit question for V shaped body Last post on 4/29/13 at 6:49am in Classic Menswear
CT Shirts Presents: How to Choose the Best White Shirt for Your...
Last edited: 3/30/15
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Brooklyn Clothing Co
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The new official TOJ thread - updates, complaints, etc... - Page 1650post #24736 of 4915911/15/12 at 9:02pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #24737 of 4915911/15/12 at 9:05pmpost #24738 of 4915911/15/12 at 9:17pmI wear suits to work every day, some of which are more than ten years old which still look great - not new but broken in rather than worn out. I have a jacket made of angora/lambs wool that is over three years old and looks new even though I drive in it, eat in eat and sit for hours in it. Good wool will look great for years.
Bertiepost #24739 of 4915911/15/12 at 9:20pmpost #24740 of 4915911/15/12 at 10:08pmQuote:Originally Posted by gettoasty
First error was assuming people hear wear suits on the regular, or even wool trousers/slacks. Seems like either denim or sweats are in most peoples comfort zone in SW&D.
Wool does not go fuzzy whoever brought that up. Uniqlo wool trousers worn for a 1 year, granted rotated each day, but no fuzz, no shine in my seat; etc.
FWIW the MA-1 looks real good. Just need a fit pic to turn heads. More so, as Drew mentioned, his wool quality must be 1000x better than anything Uniqlo can source.
An MA-1 would be worn pretty regularly and 150s is way too fine for everyday wear. I quite like the look and it probably feels like sex but in terms of what you are saying toasty, Uniqlo wool is probably a blend and definitely nowhere close to 150s levelpost #24741 of 4915911/15/12 at 11:09pmpost #24742 of 4915911/15/12 at 11:18pmpost #24743 of 4915911/15/12 at 11:22pmQuote:
wonder if you posted this without any sense of ironypost #24744 of 4915911/15/12 at 11:22pmI can't, however, understand people who expect everyone to simply praise everything Drew makes. If the guy posts a mysterious picture of a prototype MA-1 without any in-depth detail then of course people will start buzzing. And, as someone said before, the only thing more annoying than the complainers is the fan-boys' redundant 'wtf guys' and 'Drew know best' comments. And this is coming from a guy who appreciate Drew's work to a degree where I own three TOJ jackets, and currently have three more in the making.
I think it's quite fair to have an opinion on the new jackets. And especially the MA-1 is something a lot of people have been anticipating.
Airing concerns that a pinstriped wool version of the MA might not be what they were looking for is completely fair I feel. I too, am in the skeptical bracket. In my vision, the MA-1 would be a piece I could use in the more tough looks, e.g. a black MA-1 with slim black jeans tugged into a pair of combat boots etc. The suite MA-1 just wont work for this purpose. Plain black wool, coated wool or something third might be better for those of us that doesn't want to use the MA-1 to dress up, so to speak. Which is also why I choose to put my funds in a ribbed collar CWU instead.post #24745 of 4915911/15/12 at 11:37pmIf people just want another mil-spec MA-1, why don't they just get a Buzz Rickson? Attachment, Rick, and any number of fashion houses make typical MA-1's. It's not really about praising everything Drew makes, but rather accepting that not every piece Drew makes will be for every person. Previous whine cycles have showed us that we can't have nice things. Then we get Youtube videos if we're lucky, instead of new product.post #24746 of 4915911/15/12 at 11:45pmQuote:
The same reason why people don't get a Schott, or MMM, or Rick and so on leather jacket.Quote:
People can give their feedback and post their opinions in a thread like this. Otherwise, it would be redundant. Get over it.Quote:
Really? Reaaaaaally? What is this, a kindergarden? Do you honestly believe Drew is so thin skinned that he would cancel one of the (cornerstone) products of his new JC line, just because some lads on Styleforum rather want nylon or what not?post #24747 of 4915911/15/12 at 11:45pm
I think the bigger issue is the fact that Drew made a popular nylon/repro-style MA-1 in the past and people were expecting/hoping that he would just bring that back with some tweaks. When it was something quite a bit different instead, disappointment was inevitable. I'm not trying to defend people telling Drew how to run his company because I think that's bullshit, but I also don't think it's totally shocking that people aren't totally happy when he went in a somewhat unusual direction.
There are other MA-1 makers, obviously, but I don't think any of them offer the fit (RIckson) or price point (Rick) that TOJ does.post #24748 of 4915911/15/12 at 11:49pmDrew probably did not design to MA-1 to please the largest possible audience. He probably just felt like designing an MA-1 out of wool suiting fabric because it is a cool concept. Some of us will love it, others will hate it. I might not order one, but I sure as hell will not come to the thread to whine about how it is different than my ideal MA-1.post #24749 of 4915911/15/12 at 11:51pmThe thing that I don't understand is that people are complaining about what they could use/couldn't use the MA1 for, yet I don't think anyone would really use their leather jacket for any severe weather rain/snow at a regular basis. You know your not going to be using your jacket in a rainstorm at 20 degree weather so why complain. Your not buying a sweater, so the wool won't pil it's fine wool but tightly woven wool. The idea that TOJ would be selling you something without any type of quality control would be stupid, that's what the basis of what it's always been around from how I've know it. Quality outerwear that's affordable, everyone knows your going to get a great piece. Yes it would be cool to have a nylon from TOJ because you know it's going to be a great piece but you could always buy an M-1 that you know won't be anywhere close to the TOJ one.post #24750 of 4915911/16/12 at 12:17am
- The new official TOJ thread - updates, complaints, etc...
Styleforum Top Picks
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread 40 seconds ago
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 5 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 6 minutes ago
- › Is this legit? 6 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread 8 minutes ago
- › Boots Boots Boots - For Boot Guys Only 10 minutes ago
- › Vincero - Watches & Fine Leather Goods - Official Affiliate Thread 10 minutes ago
- › A Fine Pair Of Shoes: Official Affiliate thread 10 minutes ago
- › Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata 11 minutes ago
- › ***Finally an Official Baller sneaker thread ($300 minimum)*** 14 minutes ago
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › The Styleforum Brief April 2015
- › Styleforum's First Ever Gallery Contest!...
- › Small on Space, Big on Heart: Four of...
- › How to Buy Direct from Japan
- › Lanieri Presents: Deep Into the Blue
- › Clothing for Hard Work
- › Sakura Season
- › A Brief History of Indigo
- › The (Red) Thread Connecting Italy and Japan
- › Two Japanese Words Every Clothing Dork Should...