or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The new official TOJ thread, 2011
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The new official TOJ thread, 2011 - Page 2527

post #37891 of 45043
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOJfirstimer View Post

do you have link to his account?

It's the one that says Bad Mother Fucker.
post #37892 of 45043

So cool Brad.  Anyone who says they're  not a fan of the way the black lamb ages needs to open their eyes and check out that pic.

post #37893 of 45043

So I'm a female in the ordering process for a MDR and have been researching calf vs. lamb pretty extensively, but I was wondering if anyone has any first hand input and/or pictures regarding the specific questions I have.

Main concerns:
* DURABILITY. Is the lambskin really that fragile? (referring to the reddit brand love/hate thread here in which a lot of people vouched for the calf...) I saw a lambskin jacket with a couple of tears while browsing pictures, which worried me. I want something that will stand up to years of wear and that I don't have to constantly be worrying about.
* FIT: will a calfskin look too thick and shapeless, especially on a female?
* CREASING: How do the two leathers crease? Does the calf end up in unattractive rolls or is it not too bad?
* COLOR: The lambskin looks very shiny in some lights and less so in others. Will it become a little more muted over time? How about the calf?  Some people have said that the calf doesn't tone down quite the same with wear.

I've stalked through the TOJ gallery for a while but haven't found a lot of pictures of jackets that have been worn in, especially in regards to the calf - if any of you have comparison pictures or just pictures of your own jackets it'd be a really big help.  Also general thoughts about how you think the jackets will wear in over time or have worn in over time would be appreciated. Thanks!

post #37894 of 45043
The jacket I posted above is lamb with 2.5 years of wear (on and off, obviously). No tears, tiny amount of scuffs, drapes really well, almost like a very thick fabric. I really think that for the women's designs, the lamb is going to be superior.
post #37895 of 45043
[/quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dittochu View Post

So I'm a female in the ordering process for a MDR and have been researching calf vs. lamb pretty extensively, but I was wondering if anyone has any first hand input and/or pictures regarding the specific questions I have.



Main concerns:

* DURABILITY. Is the lambskin really that fragile? (referring to the reddit brand love/hate thread here in which a lot of people vouched for the calf...) I saw a lambskin jacket with a couple of tears while browsing pictures, which worried me. I want something that will stand up to years of wear and that I don't have to constantly be worrying about.

In general, calf is more durable, but that depends somewhat on the weight and processing as well. Definitely, as a starting point, calf is more dense.
Quote:
* FIT: will a calfskin look too thick and shapeless, especially on a female?

Depends a lot on the processing. A tumbled calf can be very supple. I own a heavy Aero in a waxed blue from Horween that is nearly as supple as many lamb jackets.
Quote:
* CREASING: How do the two leathers crease? Does the calf end up in unattractive rolls or is it not too bad?
In general, calf will crease more, but if it is a good leather, not in an unattractive way.
Quote:
* COLOR: The lambskin looks very shiny in some lights and less so in others. Will it become a little more muted over time? How about the calf?  Some people have said that the calf doesn't tone down quite the same with wear.
That has more to do with the tanning process and subsequent wear.than the nature of calf vs lamb.

I've stalked through the TOJ gallery for a while but haven't found a lot of pictures of jackets that have been worn in, especially in regards to the calf - if any of you have comparison pictures or just pictures of your own jackets it'd be a really big help.  Also general thoughts about how you think the jackets will wear in over time or have worn in over time would be appreciated. Thanks!



[/quote]
post #37896 of 45043

Yours looks like it's held up remarkably well - I saw a picture of another (can't find it now, though, of course...) where the sleeves (elbows particularly) had loosened up to be almost baggy, which I'm definitely trying to avoid.

post #37897 of 45043
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad-t View Post

The jacket I posted above is lamb with 2.5 years of wear (on and off, obviously). No tears, tiny amount of scuffs, drapes really well, almost like a very thick fabric. I really think that for the women's dethis is a bigthis issigns, the lamb is going to be superior.

Your lifestyle is also a big consideration. My jackets are worn into the actual field, to jump or setup fencing, carry equipment, etc... Calf is barely adequate. Plus, I am really hard on clothes. Brad's lifestyle is probably very different.
post #37898 of 45043
Quote:
Originally Posted by dittochu View Post

Yours looks like it's held up remarkably well - I saw a picture of another (can't find it now, though, of course...) where the sleeves (elbows particularly) had loosened up to be almost baggy, which I'm definitely trying to avoid.

Lamb is generally more prone to this.
post #37899 of 45043

Pain in the ass question I'm sure for the veterans here, but will I be fine submitting body measurements for my first jacket? I guess I'm just cautious with how many people receive terrible fitting shirts when using body measurements with online MTM, but I realise it's also a completely different kettle of fish.

post #37900 of 45043

Found it! This is what's making me leery of going with the lamb although I love the way it drapes.  It would be not necessarily rough but definitely fairly regular wear, if that makes a difference?

post #37901 of 45043
My sleeve has a similar effect but it hasn't bothered me much.
post #37902 of 45043
Olive calfskin DR2010 or DR2103? Think I might commit to another jacket before it's all said and done.
post #37903 of 45043

Another question: what exactly is a convertible cuff?

post #37904 of 45043
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad-t View Post

My sleeve has a similar effect but it hasn't bothered me much.


Same here. others probably won't notice often either, assuming that, like most people, you infrequently stand stationary with your arms in full extension

post #37905 of 45043
Quote:
Originally Posted by dittochu View Post

Another question: what exactly is a convertible cuff?

http://toj-gallery.com/main.php?g2_itemId=5538
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The new official TOJ thread, 2011